Anyone else think...

adios

"For the rest of this year, DON'T purchase ANY petrol from the two biggest oil companies, ESSO and Statoil. If they are not selling any petrol, they will be inclined to reduce their prices. If they reduce their prices, the other companies will have to follow suit. But to have an impact, we need to reach literally millions of Esso and Statoil petrol buyers."

yup - brilliant scheme - but basically flawed

the upstream part of EXXON & Statoil will sell the oil they're not selling through their own petrol stations to the people who you've moved to - eg BP, MURCO, Total, TESCO etc etc so no hurt there

Petrol stations make very little money - in the UK I think its about 1% - they make money on the papers, magazines, chocolate they sell - often oil companies are subsidising them anyway (they just move the profits in to the refining or upstream part of the operation - where-ever the tax is lowest)

Oil is a funny commodity - you can sell all you can produce if you sell it for 1 cent less than the market price and you can't sell a single drop at 1 cent over the market price.......................

28393[/snapback]

Yep, I don't think that's the only flaw with the mail, the thing is I don't think the originator is genuine, I think it's quite plausible that this originated in some advertising agency or other. The writer is up to date enough to realise that Shell are no longer one of the big two and yet seems to show a complete lack of knowledge in Economics in general and as you've pointed out, particularly in the oil market.

I just wish people in general were this active about buyer power in general and not just when they're feeling a bit down about a minor issue. But then I'd be living in a utopia that'll probably never be.

28400[/snapback]

the BIG companies - Exxon, Shell, BP, Total, Chev-Tex, AGIP, Conoco-Phillips are soooo big you can't really hurt them with a boycott in one place

28402[/snapback]

But if the point of the email is just to ensure more business goes back to Shell?

28405[/snapback]

But it just says leave ESSO/Statoil. Unless this was emailed to you from a Shell emplyee or a dodgy Viral marketing company, i expect its nothing more then someone annoyed at high petrol prices who doesnt know the full breakdown of the cost of petrol or indeed how selling oil happens. If it was a professional ad campaign they'd have checked this out. Its a person who thought if one company cant sell they reduce their costs so the others reduce costs and hence cheaper fuel.

But it just says leave ESSO/Statoil. Unless this was emailed to you from a Shell emplyee or a dodgy Viral marketing company, i expect its nothing more then someone annoyed at high petrol prices who doesnt know the full breakdown of the cost of petrol or indeed how selling oil happens. If it was a professional ad campaign they'd have checked this out. Its a person who thought if one company cant sell they reduce their costs so the others reduce costs and hence cheaper fuel.

28413[/snapback]

-"Just forward this email, and buy your petrol at Shell, Tesco, Maxol, Texaco, Jet, etc. i.e. boycott Statoil and Esso."

-I'm interested to know how you think viral marketing works, you think it only comes from the marketer and dies at node 1?

Catch 22 is a good book like.

28403[/snapback]

I'm missing a reference here.

28406[/snapback]

Rob's business sense reminded me of Milo Mindbender.

28420[/snapback]

Only Milo would buy at double market price, sell at half and come out smiling!

Viral ad is spam. Simple as. It works by initially one person/company writing and sending it. Then someone who recieved it being a gullible sod forwarding it many more people. ad infinitum. If no one forwards from the initial send(s) then it dies.

Viral ad is spam. Simple as. It works by initially one person/company writing and sending it. Then someone who recieved it being a gullible sod forwarding it many more people. ad infinitum. If no one forwards from the initial send(s) then it dies.

28422[/snapback]

So the chances of a successful viral marketing campaign coming from the source directly to a recipient are slim. In fact working with the figures that this lad discusses in his email reaching fruition they're one in one hundred thousand.

28422[/snapback]

So the chances of a successful viral marketing campaign coming from the source directly to a recipient are slim. In fact working with the figures that this lad discusses in his email reaching fruition they're one in one hundred thousand.

28426[/snapback]

Yes i'd agree with that. If it reaches a few thousand its done very well. Which is again why its not an ad. The only way it would be an ad was if as i'd said it was directed from a Viral ad company where by they would spam the hell out of whatever list they start with or if it was sent from many employees at a large company.

All the evidence points towards it being one person with grand ideas but little practical knowledge of the area.

28422[/snapback]

28426[/snapback]

Yes i'd agree with that. If it reaches a few thousand its done very well. Which is again why its not an ad. The only way it would be an ad was if as i'd said it was directed from a Viral ad company where by they would spam the hell out of whatever list they start with or if it was sent from many employees at a large company.

All the evidence points towards it being one person with grand ideas but little practical knowledge of the area.

28428[/snapback]

You're not exactly going out on a limb there and in all probability you're right. I was just offering an alternate, somewhat tongue-in-cheek option, which in my experience is not totally improbable.

Who are Statoil? BP?  Mobil?

28366[/snapback]

Esso are Exxon Mobil.

Statoil own Jet and several others

28373[/snapback]

It says buy Jet petrol at the top tbh, so it can't be them.

Who are Statoil? BP?  Mobil?

28366[/snapback]

Esso are Exxon Mobil.

Statoil own Jet and several others

28373[/snapback]

It says buy Jet petrol at the top tbh, so it can't be them.

28451[/snapback]

Statoil bought Jet stations in Eire in 1996. So the email of irish origon is incorrect.

http://www.statoil.com/STATOILCOM/SVG00990...125664E004D48F9

"Only Milo would buy at double market price, sell at half and come out smiling!"

hence my reference later to the egg trick -

and Nubar Gulbenkian - a man who is reputed to have signed deals in disapearing ink................. which worked quite well in those far off days and places before forensic turned up....................................

Edited by Rob W

I'm canny sure ConocoPhillipes own Jet

28463[/snapback]

They own the brand name, yes

28465[/snapback]

it was originally set up by Conoco in the UK in the late 60's as a really cheap petrol - i think it was the same reason that Phillips 66 sell in the north east and Scotland - they had some to sell from their first N Sea operations