Leighton Baines in talks with Sunderland

NobbySol

Skysports.com understands Sunderland have opened talks with Leighton Baines over a possible move to the Stadium of Light.

The England Under 21 international is believed to have been on Wearside over the weekend to hold talks with Black Cats boss Roy Keane.

Wigan are thought to have reluctantly given Baines permission to talk to Sunderland after the Black Cats finally agreed a price for the full-back.

Sunderland have been chasing the highly-rated defender all summer and they have seen several bids rejected by Wigan.

However, Sunderland are now believed to have met Wigan's valuation of Baines with Keane determined to lure him to the North East.

Keane is a big fan of the left-back and sees him as a key addition to his ambitious plans for the new season in the Premier League.

The Irishman is now hoping to persuade Baines to swap the JJB Stadium for the Stadium of Light with a number of others reported to be waiting in the wings for the defender.

Baines is now thought to be mulling over his options as he considers where his future lies.

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

cudnt agree more with ur comment, hes everthing we need in a left back and has bags of potential. Plus wouldnt mind getting one over the mackems by taking what could be their only chance of buying a top player... from under their noses

haha yeah i remember that one... him sayin baines will be a nufc player by the euros... now hasnt that idea gone out the window

suprising sam didnt go for him though. needs defenders and wing backs and baines and shorey were good targets,

yeah. I still think baines is a possibility because hed surely chose us over mackems. Think big sam needs to put in an offer quick and by the sounds of it we aren't goin to get shorey while west ham are throwing silly money around

west ham appeals for money grabbers and party animals who love london. I believe parker was an exception asa he didnt seem to enjoy it at newcastle as well as the chance to work with curbs again must have been appealing. West ham are shite but attract those who are in the game for the money, upson and lucas niell for example. But your right West Ham are no hopers

I am getting a bit worried by the lack of action on our part, We started like a train but nowt for two weeks. Surely he is not thinking of using Carr and Babayaro plus Ramage and Hunty as back up centre halfs. If Baines doesnt sign for us there is something seriously wrong with our transfer dealings. FFS we need to get our defence sorted, he`s said that already. Two games and no clean sheets against poor opposition. Come on BS sort this out NOW!!!!!

The left back situation is rather worrying now. We simply don't have one and can't afford to go into the season hoping that Babayarou might surprise us all and pull his finger out for once. And the longer it takes to sign someone the more difficult it will be for them to be right for the start of the season.

I know we've changed managers twice and have a whole new regieme in place but I really can't beleive how long we've been without a leftback now. It's comical tbh.

Can't see Whelan accepting a bid from us, given Ashley stitching him up over the replica shirt price fixing.

Would hope the player would have some say in the matter, but if BSA's insistent on "big" players at the back, he'll pass on Baines

I am getting a bit worried by the lack of action on our part, We started like a train but nowt for two weeks. Surely he is not thinking of using Carr and Babayaro plus Ramage and Hunty as back up centre halfs. If Baines doesnt sign for us there is something seriously wrong with our transfer dealings. FFS we need to get our defence sorted, he`s said that already. Two games and no clean sheets against poor opposition. Come on BS sort this out NOW!!!!!

I'm sure he'll be taking on your concerns next time he's on.

I'm sure he'll be taking on your concerns next time he's on.

Well he needs to! Baines and Young are both available and are a damn site better than what we have but nothing has happened, its getting beyond a joke.I think there is something fishey going on after the raids

Edited by jaythesouthernmag

i dnt think we are particualrly desperate for a right back with solano, geremi and carr (even thought hes shite) available in that position. However, it is vital that we purchase a left back such as baines who has premiership experience. Alan olivier probably made the height shite up, babayaro must leave or at worst be a back up, he can barely kick the ball off the ground

i dnt think we are particualrly desperate for a right back with solano, geremi and carr (even thought hes shite) available in that position. However, it is vital that we purchase a left back such as baines who has premiership experience. Alan olivier probably made the height shite up, babayaro must leave or at worst be a back up, he can barely kick the ball off the ground

Neither Geremi or Solano are right backs tho`. I reckon Nobby is too good a player to "fill in", We need a proper right back and left back plus at least one more centre half. Wheres this so called war chest?. Has someone lost the key??.

Carr,Baba and Ramage shouldnt even be squad players if we are seriously looking to break the top six. Look at what Spurs are doing, showing genuine ambition.

i agree on the spurs comment, and ramage, carr and babayaro are shite but i think we need to focus on those vital postions atm, left back and centre back. Getting a top right back in would be a bonus but for me right now, we need a left back which is a mian priority and come to think of it, solano is an outstanding player and is too good to fill in.

I honestly don't think Solano is an outstanding player any more. Great footballing brain on him and an excellent passer still but I think he shone in a poor side last season and despite the aforementioned footballing brain getting him out of bother at right-back he was horribly exposed at times there too. If we're going to be any good this season a bit-part role might be all he's good for.

I honestly don't think Solano is an outstanding player any more. Great footballing brain on him and an excellent passer still but I think he shone in a poor side last season and despite the aforementioned footballing brain getting him out of bother at right-back he was horribly exposed at times there too. If we're going to be any good this season a bit-part role might be all he's good for.

but im bias because i love him as a player, maybe your right but im gonna pretend hes still amazing so i feel better lol :lol: