Leighton Baines in talks with Sunderland

NobbySol

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I honestly don't think Solano is an outstanding player any more. Great footballing brain on him and an excellent passer still but I think he shone in a poor side last season and despite the aforementioned footballing brain getting him out of bother at right-back he was horribly exposed at times there too. If we're going to be any good this season a bit-part role might be all he's good for.

Cant agree with that. I think he will play a big part in his right sided midfield position, He`s one of the only players we have that can see a killer pass or unlock a defense, hit the target with free kicks and beat the first man on corners. As for being exposed, he was but he`s not a right back. Look how shit Zog,Duff etc did at LB. I thought Nobby did well all things considered

do u think we should sign baines though? or is there somone else u think fits the bill better. i can only think of shorey as the other possibility and hes a midget to which apparently isnt what sams lookin for. Or was that alan oliver talkin shit again

I honestly don't think Solano is an outstanding player any more. Great footballing brain on him and an excellent passer still but I think he shone in a poor side last season and despite the aforementioned footballing brain getting him out of bother at right-back he was horribly exposed at times there too. If we're going to be any good this season a bit-part role might be all he's good for.

Cant agree with that. I think he will play a big part in his right sided midfield position, He`s one of the only players we have that can see a killer pass or unlock a defense, hit the target with free kicks and beat the first man on corners. As for being exposed, he was but he`s not a right back. Look how shit Zog,Duff etc did at LB. I thought Nobby did well all things considered

Don't think he'll start wide right that much either. I agree he did well at RB in the main btw.

I wouldn't even say he shone last season, which is a damning statement considering the shite we were served up.

'Shone' probably was overstating it like. Shone at times though. A revelation in the right-back role as the Evening Chronicle probably printed at some point.

'Shone' probably was overstating it like. Shone at times though. A revelation in the right-back role as the Evening Chronicle probably printed at some point.

Expectations lowered due to the mediocrity of Carr tbh

Expectations lowered due to the mediocrity of Carr tbh

Oh, I agree. Just hoying in a bit of daft journo-speak there as they often come up with shit like that.

My point is we shouldnt be "making do" by playing people out of position or relying on the likes of Carr & Babayaro. We have been led to beleive money is available, BS knows what needs fixing so whats the hold up?. I would have taken both Baines and Young, both have prem experience,both are English and have points to prove. Sam got players in at Bolton when had had no money, now we have money (or so they say) we cant sign players. There is something that doesnt ring true about this

Thing is though, if he's decided Baines isn't good enough then it would be a bit Roeder-esque if we all of a sudden tried to sign him. I'd sooner he stuck to his guns and went with whatever other targets he has (he WILL have some, we just don't know who, which again is fine by me).

Thing is though, if he's decided Baines isn't good enough then it would be a bit Roeder-esque if we all of a sudden tried to sign him. I'd sooner he stuck to his guns and went with whatever other targets he has (he WILL have some, we just don't know who, which again is fine by me).

Aye, unlike Roeder I'm guessing that Allardyce has a list of potential targets longer than one player for each position.

Aye, unlike Roeder I'm guessing that Allardyce has a list of potential targets longer than one player for each position.

Onyewu was the best. "Nah, I'm not interested in him." Two days later: "You know that lad who the papers said I wanted? They were right, I just didn't know it until now."

Allardyce never came out and said that Baines wasn't good enough or that he wasn't interested though, did he? It was an Anal Oliver article that sad he'd been ruled out because he was too short.

Edited by The Mighty Hog

Aye it was Oliver, that's true. But given that there's been no movement despite him being in pretty advanced talks with the mackems suggests there might have been some truth to it.

Sunderland in player rejects them shocker!! (From the beeb)

Baines rejects Sunderland switch

Baines has played 162 games for Wigan since his debut in 2002

Wigan have revealed that England Under-21 defender Leighton Baines has turned down a move to Sunderland.

The 22-year-old had been given permission to open talks with Roy Keane, but Wigan's website says he will not move to the Stadium of Light.

Everton are now being strongly linked with Merseyside-born Baines, with sources in the north-east confirming he would not be joining Sunderland.

Baines has admitted that he wants to leave the JJB Stadium.

The Black Cats had an offer rejected earlier this month but upped their bid and Baines was cleared to meet Keane.

Baines, who has two years left on his Wigan contract but admitted he does not want a new deal, came through the youth ranks at the JJB Stadium.

He has made 162 appearances for the Latics since his debut in 2002, helping the club rise through the divisions and into the Premier League.

Sunderland's current left-back, Danny Collins, signed a new three-year contract on 20 July

ive kept my mouth shut all summer just sat back and watched it all unfold this one is a bridge to far lets face it the players we are in for arent exactly superstars either yet they still dont want to come i am gob smacked that he would rather stay at wigan than sign for us and roy keane

:baby: