Wednesday's gossip

Jimbo

TRANSFER RUMOURS

Everton boss David Moyes has made a shock bid to hijack Wigan defender Leighton Baines' move to Sunderland. (Daily Mirror)

Wigan boss Chris Hutchings will move for West Brom's Paul Robinson if Baines leaves the club. (Daily Mail)

Martin Petrov's switch to Tottenham from Atletico Madrid has moved closer after he was allowed to fly to London for talks. (The Sun)

Man City are in talks with Shakhtar Donetsk's Brazilian midfielder Elano over a £7m move. (Daily Mirror)

Sunderland boss Roy Keane is to switch his attentions to Middlesbrough goalkeeper Mark Schwarzer. (Daily Star)

Blackburn boss Mark Hughes is trying to push through a £4.5m deal for Bayern Munich striker Roque Santa Cruz. (Daily Mirror)

Newcastle are in talks for West Brom defender Curtis Davies, but their £6m offer is still £2m short of the Baggies' valuation. (Daily Mail)

Bolton boss Sammy Lee has talked Swede Christian Wilhelmsson into joining for £2m from Nantes. (Daily Mirror)

Man City want Juventus left-back Giorgio Chiellini and midfielder Manuele Blasi. (Guardian)

Plymouth have put striker Cherno Samba on the transfer list. (Daily Mirror)

Birmingham have joined Newcastle in the race to sign China's captain Zheng Zhi from Shandong Luneng. (Guardian)

Aston Villa and Newcastle will slug it out over Danish defender Brede Hangeland. (Daily Mirror)

Norwich and Watford could battle it out for the services of Leicester striker Matty Fryatt. (Daily Mirror)

French defender Frank Signorino, a £1m-rated left-back, is a target for newly-promoted Birmingham. (Daily Mirror)

Fulham's Michael Brown is set to move to Wigan on Wednesday. (Daily Star)

Luton defender Leon Barnett has finalised a £2m switch to West Brom. (Daily Mirror)

Liverpool have made a swoop on Real Madrid for 20-year-old midfielder Javi Garcia. (Daily Mirror)

Arsenal are chasing 17-year-old Spanish full-back sensation Alberto Morgado. (Daily Mirror)

Oldham are lining up a move for veteran former Sheffield United defender Alan Wright. (Daily Star)

Charlton are set to make former Barnet midfielder Dean Sinclair their latest signing. (Daily Mirror)

Dundee United are on the verge of signing Polish keeper Grzegorz Szamotulski on a six-month loan deal from Sturm Graz. (Daily Record)

Hibs and Hearts have both been linked with moves for Rosenborg striker Daniel Braaten. (Daily Record)

Hibs have also renewed interest in Cork City striker Roy O'Donovan. (Daily Record)

Spanish midfielder Ruben Palazuelos has signed a four-year deal with Hearts, according to his agent. (Daily Record)

Tell us your transfer rumours

OTHER GOSSIP

Man Utd assistant Carlos Queiroz says their title win last season was "important for the game as a whole". (Various)

Chelsea boss Jose Mourinho says Liverpool's spending spree has put them under massive pressure to win the Premier League. (Daily Mirror)

Portsmouth's David James wants to be inspired by David Beckham's international comeback to make his own. (Various)

Steve Bruce reckons Birmingham's signings of Mido and Hossan Ghaly from Spurs will help them beat the drop. (Daily Mirror)

Andy Cole is ready to leave Portsmouth after being dumped for their trip to Hong Kong. (The Sun)

Aston Villa boss Martin O'Neill reckons new signing Marlon Harewood lost a lot of confidence during his last season at West Ham. (Daily Mirror)

Reading have sold all 18,000 available season tickets. (Daily Star)

West Ham boss Alan Curbishley has told new signing Craig Bellamy to do his talking on the pitch. (The Sun)

Reading's Nicky Shorey will snub West Ham and Newcastle to sign a new contract with the Royals. (Daily Mirror)

Man Utd boss Sir Alex Ferguson tips striker Dong Fangzhou to make an impact at Old Trafford this season. (Daily Star)

Man City striker Bernardo Corradi has blasted former boss Stuart Pearce for lacking leadership. (The Sun)

Striker Chris Iwelumo hopes joining Charlton will boost his chances of winning a Scotland call-up. (Daily Record)

AND FINALLY

Everton striker James Vaughan was so upset by his dislocated shoulder that he was thinking of giving the game up at the tender age of 19. (Daily Mail)

The Baggies are apparently close to signing a centre half from Luton, so maybe they're about to give up on trying to keep hold of Davies. If we can get him and this Danish lad in fairly sharpish, then we've got full backs to focus on and away we go. Hopefully now that Mort has got his feet under the desk properly, we'll start to see some activity.

Didn't he hand in a transfer request to WBA, as they were holding out for £10m from Spurs?

I'd still like to see a more experienced centre half brought in as cover too.

Didn't he hand in a transfer request to WBA, as they were holding out for £10m from Spurs?

I think thats what Hangeland would do.

Argee with Gem on this one.

8mill for Curtis would keep snakehips happy! However he is quite young and we would get a few years out of him. Lets just hope he does not turn out like bramble unless he signs for Spurs that is....

Davies is supposed to be a very good defender. I'd love to see him brought in. I'm not sure about Hangeland would be the experienced type of defender that I'd like to see brought in. He's never played in the EPL and would need time to adapt to the pace/physicallity of it.

Initially, I wasn't too keen on the idea of Hyypia being brought in, but as we're running out of options, I'd be happy to see him here for a year or two.

8mill for Curtis would keep snakehips happy! However he is quite young and we would get a few years out of him. Lets just hope he does not turn out like bramble unless he signs for Spurs that is....

*slaps Khay across the back of the neck*

I'm not saying spending big = spending wisely. I say that the price tag represents a player's attraction to other clubs which, in turn, represents his perceived expertise.

EDIT: btw, the slap across the neck was an internet hardman slap, not a mamby-pamby limp-wristed sort of slap. Just so you know. :baby:

Edited by snakehips

I'm not saying spending big = spending wisely. I say that the price tag represents a player's attraction to other clubs which, in turn, represents his perceived expertise.

That's true to an extent, but there are still bargains to be had. Particularly in the less fashionable leagues like Denmark. Deal with it beehatch!

Just like Luque and Boumsong's huge price tags.

That's true to an extent, but there are still bargains to be had. Particularly in the less fashionable leagues like Denmark. Deal with it beehatch!

I agree. Let's hope he signs and is a class act. If so, I will touch my forlock to you when we meet in future :baby:

Just like Luque and Boumsong's huge price tags.

That's why I said 'perceived' expertise. Other clubs were in for Luque as well, which pushed his price tag up. As for Boumsong, I imagine other factors might have had a bearing on his cost!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

we'll pay over the odds because he's english but davies is highly rated. i'd be happy to see him here if ash fancies splashing the cash - see what i did there?

TRANSFER RUMOURS

Aston Villa and Newcastle will slug it out over Danish defender Brede Hangeland. (Daily Mirror)

I just cant understand how people can be so wrong so many times, hes a norwegian footballer, not danish, never was! Born in the US, grew up in Stavanger, Norway :baby:

TRANSFER RUMOURS

I just cant understand how people can be so wrong so many times, hes a norwegian footballer, not danish, never was! Born in the US, grew up in Stavanger, Norway :baby:

So he's American then? :baby:

TRANSFER RUMOURS

Aye. And you're British :baby:

TRANSFER RUMOURS

But he is a norwegian footballer. :baby:

TRANSFER RUMOURS

I just cant understand how people can be so wrong so many times, hes a norwegian footballer, not danish, never was! Born in the US, grew up in Stavanger, Norway :lol:

Aye. And you're British :baby:

That's what it says on my passport. :baby:

Whenever I've seen the U21s play, Taylor has always been better than Davies. Has he been much better in the league? Not sure I'm too impressed at spending 8m on him. For that money I'm sure we can get better.