Its Friday...

Scottish Mag

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I find it very hard to accept the whole "life as a teacher is SO stressful" thing.

They were actually whining last night about a teacher in their department who had to have extra time off due to stress.

Plus you can get away with incompetence in teaching on a scale never before realised in any other field, apart from perhaps academia.

I find it very hard to accept the whole "life as a teacher is SO stressful" thing.

They were actually whining last night about a teacher in their department who had to have extra time off due to stress.

Plus you can get away with incompetence in teaching on a scale never before realised in any other field, apart from perhaps academia.

Yeah, I really don't get it. Obviously I've never been a teacher, but I just don't see how it's more stressful than your average profession. There's nothing like the working hours or the deadlines that are involved in something like accountancy (I appreciate that I'm a bad example because of my extreme laziness) or lawyering, and those jobs don't have half terms or 6 weeks off in the summer to recharge the batteries. Obviously teaching doesn't pay as well, but I dunno, I just don't get the whole stress thing.

Yeah, I really don't get it. Obviously I've never been a teacher, but I just don't see how it's more stressful than your average profession. There's nothing like the working hours or the deadlines that are involved in something like accountancy (I appreciate that I'm a bad example because of my extreme laziness) or lawyering, and those jobs don't have half terms or 6 weeks off in the summer to recharge the batteries. Obviously teaching doesn't pay as well, but I dunno, I just don't get the whole stress thing.

Aye, right, trying to 'teach' a gang of charvers wouldn't be remotely stressful!

I reckon it is a stressful job, but find it funny teachers can't accept that having 13 weeks holiday is a major perk too. Apparently they're so busy marking or planning lessons they get no holidays at all!

Some have it stressful, some don't. There's a variety of experiences like there is in any profession. Ofsted has brought new pressures and you hear a lot about that but then it bloody well should do too. It was a scandal that standards were allowed to go unchecked for so long. It was a cosseted profession (in this sense) and many people coasted through an entire working life very comfortably and some are still riling from this shock to the system. Thats not to say you dont get underperformers in other fields but the point is where you do they tend to get the boot.

Where they lose credibility for me is where they talk about marking and lesson prep and out of hours stuff, as though out of hours stuff is something that doesnt exist in any other walk of life-when I hear this I just switch off as I think it says a lot about the persons mentality. This is when their actual class contact hours are only 9-3 to start with.

The holidays are quite simply an unparalleled privilige.

Wooooohooooo by the way. Ironically I've sorted my works comp out (thanks Cath), which means I can now take the piss at work again by posting on t'internet.

Worked out the URL more like. It can't have been a complicated computing issue if Lennon fixed it for you. :baby:

You'd be surprised! He was actually using the correct URL and still couldn't get on.

Computer genius me :baby:

Worked out the URL more like. It can't have been a complicated computing issue if Lennon fixed it for you. :baby:

You'd be surprised! He was actually using the correct URL and still couldn't get on.

Computer genius me :baby:

Typing it into an Excel spreadsheet though.

Worked out the URL more like. It can't have been a complicated computing issue if Lennon fixed it for you. :unsure:

Computer genius me :(

Typing it into an Excel spreadsheet though.

:lol:

full day today, but to make up for it am off at a long weekend at a gathering of decent musicians next weekend and am playing some new instruments. will be good to catch up with some old friends.

looks like i may be up on stage doing some old skool acid as well! someone at the festival has a working tb 303 and only wants £100 for it.... so i will defo be buying that as they are worth around £800 ... sweet.

Is this Ally's first pleased-to-get-to-the-weekend post? I love it when reality bites for the ex-students. :unsure:

Its the end of my second week but I had last Friday off for Graduation, so its my first full week. I'm knackered. :lol: