Cats are evil !

JawD

cat has amazed medics - by predicting when nursing home patients are about to die.

Oscar curls up next to elderly residents in the last few hours of their lives, reports The Sun.

His accuracy - seen in 25 cases in the past year - has led staff to call family once he chooses someone.

It usually means they have less than four hours to live.

University professor Dr David Dosa said: "He doesn't make too many mistakes. Many families take solace from it. They appreciate the companionship the cat provides for their loved one."

The phenomenon is described in this week's issue of the New England Journal of Medicine.

Oscar, two, was adopted as a kitten and grew up in a third-floor dementia unit at Steere House Nursing and Rehabilitation Centre in Providence, Rhode Island, US.

After about six months, the staff noticed Oscar would make his own rounds - just like the doctors.

He'd sniff and observe patients, then sit beside those who would die within hours. Staff say most of the people who get a visit are so ill they don't know he's there.

Oscar has received a plaque commending his "compassionate hospice care".

You'd be pretty gutted if it came and set next to you like.. Its probably got some highly infectious disease and its the cat thats killing them :baby:

I used to be able to smell when someone was going to die when I worked on the wards (No, not because they'd shit themselves or anything) Just used to get a strange smell and feeling when I started a nightshift when I was near certain patients and in loads of cases they carked it by the morning. Not usually unexpectedly like, but still..

And cats are wonderful creatures. I have a little fluffy feline curled up next to me reading what you're all saying - so be nice.

Its probably got some highly infectious disease and its the cat thats killing them :unsure:

:lol: I actually think it's a really nice story in its own little way, but it would be weirdly funny if that was exactly what was happening and they hadn't figured it out yet...

One of my stupid bloody cats tripped me up, I stumbled forward, hit the top of a low lying shrub and went tits up on the lawn. Turned round and the little bugger was smiling I'm sure she was.

Cats rule the world. :lol:

I used to be able to smell when someone was going to die when I worked on the wards (No, not because they'd shit themselves or anything) Just used to get a strange smell and feeling when I started a nightshift when I was near certain patients and in loads of cases they carked it by the morning. Not usually unexpectedly like, but still..

And cats are wonderful creatures. I have a little fluffy feline curled up next to me reading what you're all saying - so be nice.

Cath been on the forum since? :lol::unsure:

Cath been on the forum since? :nufc::huff:

:lol:

I'm invincible :razz:

I know exactly what you mean... and cancer patients.. they just have that odd smell... not offensive but something odd that you never forget.