Given calls for signings

bawan

Shay Given believes Newcastle United need to bolster their squad, particularly their defence.

The Republic of Ireland international, who joined the club back in 1997, says he has never seen The Magpies' squad so depleted.

Newcastle have lost the likes of Olivier Bernard, Craig Moore, Oguchi Onyewu and Titus Bramble this summer as Sam Allardyce reshapes his squad.

Given has now called on the former Bolton boss to splash the cash, with adding defenders to Newcastle's squad the priority.

"The squad's been the lightest it's been for as long as I can remember," Given told the Journal.

"It's important we get some players in but the manager knows that.

"Offensively we're as strong as most clubs. But we don't have too many defenders.

"We need to improve on last season, because our finish was a big disappointment.

Given says the same thing every year. I'm assuming a big club has never tried to sign him, because I can't for the life of me work out why he's stayed for so long.

££££££ and first team football

Given says the same thing every year. I'm assuming a big club has never tried to sign him, because I can't for the life of me work out why he's stayed for so long.

££££££ and first team football

He'd get more £££££s at Liverpool, Arsenal and Man United and probably more games as well.

Given says the same thing every year ................................................................

Aye an' so do I and a lot of others, and rightfully so.

I've already said I was worried about other clubs signing defenders when we are not except for Rozey and maybe Geremi if he's played at the back and not the middle.

Carr, Taylor, Rozey, Damage, Hunty, Edgar, Babayaro and maybe Zoggy, Geremi, and Nobby to choose from does not present a very formidable defense in my opinion.