Ticket Pricing Practices

Gemmill

Just looking on the mackem board there and they're getting charged 48 notes a ticket for their match at Chelsea this weekend. Apparently this isn't even a "Category A" match, for which they're charging over 50 quid a ticket (presumably that'll be what we get charged).

Someone (the FA? the Premier League?) should be looking into pricing practices because that is absolutely obscene for a ticket to a Premiership football match. :blink:

Fair play to any mackems that pay 48 quid and travel down to what is almost a certain defeat this weekend.

Just looking on the mackem board there and they're getting charged 48 notes a ticket for their match at Chelsea this weekend.  Apparently this isn't even a "Category A" match, for which they're charging over 50 quid a ticket (presumably that'll be what we get charged). 

Someone (the FA?  the Premier League?) should be looking into pricing practices because that is absolutely obscene for a ticket to a Premiership football match.  :blink:

Fair play to any mackems that pay 48 quid and travel down to what is almost a certain defeat this weekend.

29118[/snapback]

My lass' brother is going, even though he is a mackem, sometimes I do feel for him, they do even worse than us down there and as most of us know its a long way back!

But then he will come out with some p*sh like Owen is cr*p and my sentiment dissapears quite quickly! ;)

Chelsea Ticket Prices

WEST STAND LOWER: £48

WEST STAND UPPER : £60

MATTHEW HARDING UPPER : £48

MATTHEW HARDING LOWER Adult Member : £45

SHED END UPPER Adult Member : £48

EAST UPPER : £48

EAST LOWER FAMILY CENTRE Adult Member: £35 Juvenile Member: £15

They even rip you off on purchasing via credit/debit card, debit card you shouldnt really pay any fee, credit the company will be charged per transaction NOT per ticket

* All bookings by Credit and Debit cards will be subject to a £1.50 administration charge per ticket

I was saying when they changed the away end, I bet the price rockets again. Absolutely disgraceful, but mugs like me still pay it. As the Robot says, fair play to any mackems that make the journey, especially when they know whats coming.

Its just business - Chelski are in C London - a lot of people spend that sort of money on a theatre ticket or dinner out every week...............

Their aim is to maximise income and they couldn't give a stuff about away fans - they could sell those seats for more as season tickets to their own fans and cut down on the stewarding etc

£50 for a football ticket is obscene, I don't care who or where it is.

29360[/snapback]

as I said - its a competitive business - if people spend that sort of money on a night out somewhere else then that's the rate for the footie............................

I wonder if the players ever think of the fans when they pick up their £50/£60k per week? That is what is so obscene in football. If you look at how many players will be on that kind of money at Chelsea its no wonder their tickets are so highly priced, even if they are owned by a billionaire they need to break even... at the expense of the fans.

29360[/snapback]

as I said - its a competitive business - if people spend that sort of money on a night out somewhere else then that's the rate for the footie............................

29538[/snapback]

I don't really follow that. Football isn't competing with the theatre (your example), and even if it was, you don't compete by making your price as high as theirs. Just because you might spend 100 quid in a restaurant doesn't mean you should expect to pay the same to watch a football match.

29360[/snapback]

29538[/snapback]

I don't really follow that. Football isn't competing with the theatre (your example), and even if it was, you don't compete by making your price as high as theirs. Just because you might spend 100 quid in a restaurant doesn't mean you should expect to pay the same to watch a football match.

29845[/snapback]

It doesn't compete - but it is a marker for what people are willing to pay (in Lanhdahn) for a night/day out - football is just another leisure pursuit (in Lanhndahn)

According to economic theory, the Bwankers and the City you are only charging the right price when ONE seat is empty..........

If its full the bastards can & will pay more .........................

• 2 weeks later...
Premier League chiefs will stage a special meeting to study whether rising ticket prices and television coverage have contributed to falling crowds.

The attendance working group, headed by chief executive Richard Scudamore, will deal with concerns from chairmen.

Blackburn chairman John Williams, a member of the group, said: "We have to do something now because by the time you see the bandwagon it's too late."

Their attendance against Newcastle on Sunday was 9,000 fewer than last term.

Williams added: "We in the Premier League have had 10 great years, a fantastic success story, but we are certainly going through the doldrums now.

"Richard Scudamore is going to reconstitute the working group and it's time to sit down and go through a whole plethora of things that might be done.

"The wheels have not come off but the product does need a good service - it needs tweaking rather than major surgery."

Williams believes a combination of factors including saturation television coverage, tickets prices, negative tactics and predictable results are behind the fall in attendances.

Sports minister Richard Caborn said he too was concerned by the fall in numbers.

Caborn said: "I'm pleased the Premier League has taken this initiative, and the working party is going to have to look at whether clubs are pricing fans out of going to matches.

"One also has to question how much football there is on television and whether it's undermining attendances. I believe there is clear evidence that is the case."

Caborn added that football now had greater competition for fans from other sports, particularly in the first two months of the season from cricket and both rugby codes.

The working party will report any proposals to the next meeting of Premier League chairmen in November.

However, the Premier League remains optimistic and it points out that there were worries about attendances at this point last season but that overall the clubs operated at a 94.2% occupancy rate compared to 93.7% in the 2002-03 season.

Those figures are considerably higher than in Spain and Germany, despite prices in those countries being significantly lower.

A spokesman said: "It's very early in the season to take any sort of meaningful analysis from these statistics."

At least it looks like someone is actually going to look into this. Prices are getting to be fucking ridiculous.

It doesn't compete - but it is a marker for what people are willing to pay (in Lanhdahn)  for a night/day out - football is just another leisure pursuit (in Lanhndahn)

29891[/snapback]

There are different types of fans at every club.

I know some die hard Arsenal fans and some people who only go occasionally.

Clubs will charge whatever they can get away with. If you want success and a talented squad, you have to pay for it.

Premier League chiefs will stage a special meeting to study whether rising ticket prices and television coverage have contributed to falling crowds.

...as soon as they conclude their investigations into ursine toilet facilities and Papal religious preferences. ;)