Ivica Dragutinovic

Lazarus

Newcastle United and Manchester City are ready to battle it out for the signature of Ivica Dragutinovic.

The Serbian stopper is highly-regarded by his club Sevilla, but the 31-year-old is keen to test himself in the Premier League and with just one-year left on his current deal, a move looks possible.

Dragutinovic, who can play in central defence or at left-back, was linked with a move to City earlier this month - but now Newcastle are set to rival them for his signature.

on sky site now

MAGPIES CLOSE IN ON SERB DEFENDER

By Francisco Acedo & Patricio Figueroa

Newcastle United are understood to be closing in on the signature of Sevilla defender Ivica Dragutinovic.

The Magpies and Manchester City have both made contact, but it's Sam Allardyce who looks like winning the race to land the imposing stopper.

Sevilla have agreed to let Dragutinovic leave and a deal close to £2.5million is set to be agreed.

Newcastle have offered the centre-half, who can also play on the left, a three-year contract to move to St James' Park and the Serbian is keen on the switch.

"This is the financial opportunity of my life and do not want to reject it," Dragutinovic said.

Sevilla have already moved to sign Dragutinovic's replacement in the shape of Colombian Aquivaldo Mosquera, who has arrived from Mexican champions Pachuca.

http://www.sportinglife.com/football/news/...ual_095553.html

"This is the financial opportunity of my life and do not want to reject it," Dragutinovic said.

Oh well, at least he doesn't try to hide that he's only here for the money!

Edited by Bombadil

In reality what do we have to offer a player like him other than money. Sevilla is (from what I've heard) a lovely city with a far superior climate to ours. They play in one of the best legaues in the world, they win things (regularly at the moment) and they are in the champions league.

The only reasons for him to prefer us is a desire to play in England, a need for first team football or the better wages we can pay.

If said he wanted to come here to fulfill a boyhood ambition or win things we would just say he's talking shite anyway. At the end of the day the reason most people chance jobs is for money, why should he be any different?

In the end if he doesn't perform he would be sold so inevitably it won't change his desire to play well for us as he will have to to get the financial gain. And as mentioned, we offer fuck all to the majority of players unless the are being brought from smaller clubs or are not getting first team football so this should not change people's opinion of him.

In the end if he doesn't perform he would be sold so inevitably it won't change his desire to play well for us as he will have to to get the financial gain. And as mentioned, we offer fuck all to the majority of players unless the are being brought from smaller clubs or are not getting first team football so this should not change people's opinion of him.

Not strictly true. If he comes here and is pish, we might not be able to sell him or he might not agree to a move if the other club doesn't offer him the wages we are paying him. Think of Marcelinho when he was here or Bogarde at Chelsea. Unless the contract is heavily performance based, the monetary aspect is not a major motivation and, if players really want to, they can refuse to leave and see out their contract.

I'm not saying this lad will be like that but rather the way most of these contracts are structured doesn't necessarily incentivise the players to give their all.

At the end of the day, he has a track record of success in the past few seasons at Sevilla so I see no reason why he wouldn't do well for us and I don't see how the additional monetary aspect will diminish his performances.

Edited by Billy Whitehurst

Not strictly true. If he comes here and is pish, we might not be able to sell him or he might not agree to a move if the other club doesn't offer him the wages we are paying him. Think of Marcelinho when he was here or Bogarde at Chelsea. Unless the contract is heavily performance based, the monetary aspect is not a major motivation and, if players really want to, they can refuse to leave and see out their contract.

I'm not saying this lad will be like that but rather the way most of these contracts are structured doesn't necessarily incentivise the players to give their all.

At the end of the day, he has a track record of success in the past few seasons at Sevilla so I see no reason why he wouldn't do well for us and I don't see how the additional monetary aspect will diminish his performances.

fair point but he will have to put up with alot of abuse if he plays shite lol

Looks like we're still in for him.

Bye Bye Celestine.

Hope we are in for him and this Spanish lad. We need another CB added to our squad and if he can also play LB and push Babayaro further down the list so much the better!