Martins contract talks a boost for Allardyce

Jimbo

Newcastle United have opened contract negotiations with Obafemi Martins, a move that Sam Allardyce hopes will lessen the uncertainty that has gripped St James’ Park this summer. The manager’s rebuilding plans have not only been hampered by the club’s change of ownership, but also by the existence of release clauses in the deals that brought Martins and Michael Owen to Tyneside.

Martins confirmed yesterday that discussions have begun on reviewing a contract that still has four years to run. As part of the £10 million transfer that took the Nigeria international to Newcastle from Inter Milan last August, a £13 million escape clause was written into the small print; the fee required to activate it reduces during every subsequent transfer window.

Much to Allardyce’s frustration, a similar scenario affects Owen’s £110,000-a-week deal, although his £9 million get-out clause is understood to have closed on June 30. That still allowed speculation that the England striker would leave for Manchester United or Liverpool, while Arsène Wenger, the Arsenal manager, is a known admirer of Martins.

Newcastle are said to be prepared to increase Martins’ £60,000 weekly wage in return for him ignoring those clauses. “We are talking, that is all I can say for now,” the forward said.

Martins is relishing the increased competition at Newcastle following the arrival of Mark Viduka. “I scored 17 goals last season, so maybe I should be looking at doing better than that,” he said. “Twenty goals is possible.”

Newcastle have also been given permission by Manchester United to discuss a £6 million deal with Alan Smith, a move that would probably allow Kieron Dyer to join West Ham United. Middlesbrough and Sunderland have made similar bids for Smith.

Much to Allardyce’s frustration, a similar scenario affects Owen’s £110,000-a-week deal, although his £9 million get-out clause is understood to have closed on June 30.

Ffs it's July 31st, yet more shoddy journalism. :lol:

Martins will not be sold

Aug 1 2007

by Paul Gilder, The Journal

SAM Allardyce is adamant Obafemi Martins will start the upcoming campaign at St James’s Park after dismissing suggestions that Newcastle’s number nine will be sold in order to boost his summer transfer budget, writes PAUL GILDER.

And it appears that the striker’s position at the club is much more secure than most believed – with the Nigerian international last night insisting that he is negotiating an improved contract that will ensure his long-term future remains in the North-East.

With the £9m release clause that threatened Michael Owen’s Magpies career having expired last night, Allardyce is confident that the attacking options he believes can fuel a successful season will still be at his disposal when the Premier League campaign begins on August 11.

The Newcastle boss, whose side will continue their pre-season campaign at Hull this evening, was dismayed to read reports that he will listen to offers for Martins in order to increase his spending power. It was a suggestion he was quick to dispute. “It is complete and utter fabrication,” insisted a manager who is relishing the chance to work with such a well-stocked striking department. “There’s nothing in it whatsoever.”

Allardyce has been steadfast in his assertion that he has no plans to sell Martins this summer – although the £13m get-out clause that was agreed upon the African’s arrival from Inter Milan last summer has clouded the issue in recent weeks.

Having replaced Freddie Shepherd as United’s chairman, Chris Mort has indicated a determination to ensure that such conditions are eradicated in future dealings. As Newcastle officials strive to protect their investments, it seems moves have also begun to remove existing clauses.

Although reluctant to discuss the details, Martins has told journalists in Nigeria that contractual discussions are at an advanced stage. It is understood that improved terms have been offered, providing that the release clause that Shepherd agreed to include 12 months ago is removed.

“We’re talking – that’s all I can say at the minute,” said a player who, having pledged his future to Newcastle last week, has reiterated his contentment at the club and rejected reports that a rumoured switch to Arsenal would appeal. “All I know about Arsenal is what I’ve seen in the media. I’m a Newcastle player and my job is to score goals for Newcastle. I’m happy to be doing that.”

Although Martins has been guarded when discussing his contractual situation, sources in Lagos have insisted an agreement is close. Despite reports that Allardyce is willing to sell Glenn Roeder’s biggest signing, it seems the truth could not be more different.

The former Bolton boss has been impressed with the striker’s pre-season performances and is relishing the competition between Martins, Owen, Mark Viduka and Shola Ameobi for first-team football. Given Andy Carroll’s determined displays and Albert Luque’s recent revitalisation, the fight will be fierce. But Martins does not fear the imminent battle.

“We’ve got some great players and it shows that the manager is serious about achieving something this season,” he added. “I want to play all the time and, as long as I’m scoring goals, I think I can make it hard for him not to play me. It’s always good to score goals it is important to improve every season. I scored 17 goals last season so this season I should be looking at doing better than that – 20 goals is possible.”

Allardyce is in a much stronger position in regard to Owen this morning. The clause that would have left the United boss powerless to prevent the England international leaving were a £9m bid to be tabled had a time limit. The deadline passed last night and Owen seems certain to spend at least one more season in the North-East.

Although West Ham target Kieron Dyer is expected to leave St James’s, Allardyce is more interested in strengthening his squad than weakening it.

And Dutch sources have revealed an approach has been made for AZ Alkmaar’s Icelandic full-back Gretar Steinsson.

Journal

Edited by Barney

Journal: "Reports written by my mate across the office in yesterday's Chronicle have proved to be utter bollocks. Instead we're signing this Icelandic bloke."

Chronicle: "What my mate said about about the Icelandic bloke, it's bollocks. This is who we're after."

Repeat ad infinitum.

Journal: "Reports written by my mate across the office in yesterday's Chronicle have proved to be utter bollocks. Instead we're signing this Icelandic bloke."

Chronicle: "What my mate said about about the Icelandic bloke, it's bollocks. This is who we're after."

Repeat ad infinitum.

:icon_lol:

He's on £60k a week? And we're increasing it?

That's the problem with not having a proper wage structure in place, he's probably looking at his wages and comparing them and his contribution last season to the likes of Duff, Dyer and Owen. I'd say on the basis of his goals last season he deserved £60k pw but no way should he be getting any more and I'd be very surprised if the new regime were going to give him a significant pay rise.

I was shocked to read that Spurs have a £35k p/w salary cap in place.

That's a well run club at the minute. Berbatov, Bent, Defo, Keane, Robinson, Chimbonda, King all international players at a reasonable wage.

I was shocked to read that Spurs have a £35k p/w salary cap in place.

That's a well run club at the minute. Berbatov, Bent, Defo, Keane, Robinson, Chimbonda, King all international players at a reasonable wage.

If we had a £35m p/w cap then i can't imagine quite how many millions we'd be saving! Most of our first team would be on molre than that i'd bet.

I'd doubt that their cap is effectively as low as that, I'd imagine that they'd have significant win/appearance/finish bonuses written into their contracts.

They've still got the right idea though if that's the case.

I'd doubt that their cap is effectively as low as that, I'd imagine that they'd have significant win/appearance/finish bonuses written into their contracts.

Definitely, if players are going to end up with obscene wages, and there's not much chance of stopping that, then alot of it should be in the form of bonuses, where they've actually done something.

Agreed, hopefully it'll be something we'll see more of in the future.