SSN - Barton charged with assault...

Scottish Mag

Player Barton charged over attack

Footballer Joey Barton has been charged with assault after a training ground bust-up with a former team-mate.

The England and Newcastle United midfielder is accused of attacking fellow player Ousmane Dabo.

Mr Barton, 24, who has been capped once for England, was arrested in May while he was playing for Manchester City.

He was arrested, spoken to by police and bailed while they made further inquiries to find out what happened.

The alleged assault happened at the club's training complex in Carrington, south Manchester.

Mr Dabo, 30, was treated in hospital for injuries to his eye, nose and lip.

beeb

makes you wonder why we signed him in the first place with this hanging over him

Why's that? He'll get a fine or something.

Yeah that's all I can see happening and maybe some community service but he will be fine to play once he comes back from injury.

makes you wonder why we signed him in the first place with this hanging over him

Why's that? He'll get a fine or something.

I don't know too much about the English criminal system and sentencing. But I guess that as long as he doesn't have a record (I don't know what happened about the cigar thing though) he won't get more than a suspended sentence.

We were reported to have certain provisions in his contract should he face jail time iirc, what those provisions are and what good they would do I don't know.

As I've said before, I don't see why a fight between two men which doesn't involve serious injury should involve the law.

If Dabo had got up and battered Barton who would they charge? - does it become like the playground and a question of "who started it"?

As I've said before, I don't see why a fight between two men which doesn't involve serious injury should involve the law.

If Dabo had got up and battered Barton who would they charge? - does it become like the playground and a question of "who started it"?

It wasn't a fight between two man though, was it? It was one man just attacking someone else.

And I think the law knows pretty well how to handle this, well at least better than than a system of simplistic self justice...

We don't know about Barton's side of the story though. Dabo may have said something really nasty to cause that reaction.

Which then will get considered in a court case, I am pretty sure. Still better than Dabo just starting to hit Barton back imho...

We don't know about Barton's side of the story though. Dabo may have said something really nasty to cause that reaction.

Which then will get considered in a court case, I am pretty sure. Still better than Dabo just starting to hit Barton back imho...

If someone I worked with punched me for any reason I wouldn't just stand there and say "ner ner, I'm going to get you done with assault" - I'd defend myself and then hit them back if they were continuing to attack me. It smacks to me of these shitbag papararzzi who hassle someone like Liam Gallacher and then whinge if he punches them - hit the manc twat back FFS.

If someone I worked with punched me for any reason I wouldn't just stand there and say "ner ner, I'm going to get you done with assault" - I'd defend myself and then hit them back if they were continuing to attack me. It smacks to me of these shitbag papararzzi who hassle someone like Liam Gallacher and then whinge if he punches them - hit the manc twat back FFS.

I don't disagree, but self-defence against an ongoing attack is a bit different to archaic self-justice though...

Barton is vehemently denying the charges, papparazzi brewing a storm in a teacup, it was handbags at dawn ffs, probably get a fine and a slapped wrist, it wouldnt be the Toon without a scandal every year man, and a feckin injury list as lang as ya arm anarl like.

Pearce to be witness as Barton charged with assault

By IAN LADYMAN - More by this author » Last updated at 22:25pm on 2nd August 2007 Joey Barton will call former manager Stuart Pearce and members of Manchester City's first-team squad as witnesses when he appears in court next week following his alleged assault on ex-team-mate Ousmane Dabo.

A three-month investigation by Greater Manchester Police culminated yesterday in Barton — now with Newcastle — being charged with causing Dabo actual bodily harm in a clash at City's Carrington training ground on May 1.

Scroll down to read more:

Joey Barton

Charged: Joey Barton

The England international could face a prison term if convicted at Trafford Magistrates Court, Manchester. The case opens next Thursday.

The 24-year-old's legal team — led by agent Mel Stein — indicated yesterday that Barton would plead not guilty to the charge and it is understood that he will base his case on the claim that he was acting in self-defence when he clashed with the French midfielder.

It became clear last night that Barton's solicitors will call a number of eye-witnesses to the incident to give evidence.

The clash occurred during a firstteam training session at which then City boss Pearce and assistant Steve Wigley were present.

The whole City squad were sent questionnaires by the police as part of the investigation earlier in the summer and it now appears certain that some members of the playing and coaching staff will have to testify.

Pearce said before his sacking at the end of last season that he would give evidence if asked and the newly appointed England Under 21 coach could now find himself in the witness box facing a player he did much to help during his two years as City manager.

Barton moved to Newcastle from City for £6million in the early part of the summer and is currently trying to shake off the many controversies that followed him around during his time in the north-west. Currently injured with a broken metatarsal, Liverpudlian Barton is not expected to make his competitive debut for his new club until two months into the campaign.

New City manager Sven Goran Eriksson continued his remarkable pre-season spending spree yesterday by bringing in three more foreign signings, as predicted in Sportsmail.

Having already added four players to his squad, Eriksson spent £16m yesterday on Brazilian midfielder Elano, Spanish left back Javier Garrido and Croatia defender Vedran Corluka.

Eriksson also expects to add Fiorentina's Bulgarian striker Valeri Bojinov over the next 24 hours for £5.5m and will then turn his attention to another striker and a new goalkeeper.

City have enquired about Liverpool's England Under 21 goalkeeper Scott Carson but were told he is not for sale and now have Spanish club Levante's Italian Jose Molina in their sights.

Eriksson's import of players from eastern Europe could be linked with the fact that he was close to becoming coach of Bulgaria, his agent Patrick Mort revealed yesterday. Talks broke down once Thaksin Shinawatra offered him the City job.

A human rights group who spoke out against the way English football has embraced Thaksin have been inundated with hatemail from City fans. Dozens of abusive letters and emails were sent to Human Rights Watch after they criticised the Premier League for allowing the former Thai Prime Minister to become Eastlands' new owner.

One email said: 'Drug dealers deserve to die you d***heads', in reference to Thaksin's brutal 'War on Drugs' which is alleged to have killed thousands without trial in Thailand. Others claimed HRW's attitude to Thaksin was 'disgraceful' and branded them 'fascists' trying to create trouble for 'a working-class sport'.

Brad Adams, executive director of HRW, said: 'I only wish people had these kinds of emotions for the people who were killed but they seem more concerned about their transfer kitty. It's interesting to see how shallow people are.'