He'll be from Brazil...

Isegrim

The Villa lad on NO reckons Delaney is a quality player who suffers horribly with injuries. I like the sound of the first bit, not the second. But seriously how much has anyone on here really seen of him, given that the Villa fans themselves have seen next to fuck all.

That's the thing though, I can't remember the last time I saw anything of him, but that's because it seems he hasn't been fit in ages. Didn't he even speak about having to retire a couple of months ago?

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The Villa lad on NO reckons Delaney is a quality player who suffers horribly with injuries. I like the sound of the first bit, not the second. But seriously how much has anyone on here really seen of him, given that the Villa fans themselves have seen next to fuck all.

That's the thing though, I can't remember the last time I saw anything of him, but that's because it seems he hasn't been fit in ages. Didn't he even speak about having to retire a couple of months ago?

As you say no one has seen much of him over the last couple of years but before his injury problems I am sure most seen a fair bit of him when he was getting a regular game for Villa and having been part of the Wales team that went through a good patch. For me he was just an average defender who wasn't really any better than the likes of Aaron Hughes. Whilst I would like to see a replacement for Carr I wouldn't really see this as a forward step and we would probably be better off seeing what Allardyce can get out of Carr if he can keep him fit if we are not going to sign a player that will improve the position.

No offence though Ritchie, but I always question how much anyone can really know of a player that plays for another Premiership team. Especially one like Villa that isn't on the telly all that often. It only takes for the bloke to have a bad game in 3 out of the 5 televised games you might see of him for someone to conclude that he's crap or whatever.

No offence though Ritchie, but I always question how much anyone can really know of a player that plays for another Premiership team. Especially one like Villa that isn't on the telly all that often. It only takes for the bloke to have a bad game in 3 out of the 5 televised games you might see of him for someone to conclude that he's crap or whatever.

It was only an opinion, if we take that logic we may as well stop discussing the majority of players on here. And whilst I am not saying I know better than the supporter of another club again it is still only one persons opinion if people went by somes opinions on here on the basis they support Newcastle the likes of Skol and MattM4 would have you thinking Parker and Ameobi are not fit for Sunday league football.

Guest James_coDurham

It was only an opinion, if we take that logic we may as well stop discussing the majority of players on here. And whilst I am not saying I know better than the supporter of another club again it is still only one persons opinion if people went by somes opinions on here on the basis they support Newcastle the likes of Skol and MattM4 would have you thinking Parker and Ameobi are not fit for Sunday league football.

And in the case of the latter, they'd be quite correct :lol:

Like I said, I wasn't having a go. But I don't think I'm out of order pointing out that when someone doesn't see a player week in week out, it's very hard for their opinion (which they're perfectly entitled to) to be an informed one.

GERARD HOULLIER has told Sam Allardyce he has made a “great signing” in Brazilian international Cacapa.

The 31-year-old defender will sign for Newcastle United today on a free transfer after the player had a successful time under Houllier at Lyon.

And Houllier revealed that Big Sam has spoken to him about Cacapa before finally deciding to hand the defender a contract at St James’ Park.

In an exclusive interview with the Chronicle, Houllier said today: “Sam has spoken to me about Cacapa and I have told him that providing they can keep him fit, he will turn out to be a great signing for Newcastle United.

“Yes, we had a bit of a fall-out at Lyon last season, but this was because he had refused to sign a new contract.

“Now that he is joining Newcastle, they will be getting a very experienced defender which, I understand, is just what Sam is looking for.”

The Chronicle revealed that United were signing Cacapa yesterday and contacts were quick to phone me waxing lyrical about the defender who now has a French passport, which means there is no problem about him playing in the Premiership.

But I have been told that Cacapa is not the sort of player you usually associate coming out of Brazil, with flashy footwork and silky skills, but more of a no-nonsense defender who likes a battle.

And quite frankly, after the lack of bottle some United players showed at the end of last season, this is just what is needed at St James’ Park.

Meanwhile, United’s new fitness team have been amazed at just how fit Cacapa is, even though he has practically done no pre-season work.

But just how early the third player from Brazil to wear the black-and-white shirt tastes some action will depend on the injury situation.

My information is that United will try to sign another central defender before the trip to Bolton Wanderers for the Premiership opener a week tomorrow.

But Allardyce tells me he will hang fire as far as another Brazilian – Edmilson – is concerned, instead he says he will wait until the Barcelona central defender is fit again. and he is now a potential target in the January transfer window.

I was just looking down our squad list and I reckon although a fairly small squad we still have cover for every postion on the pitch - apart from another couple central defenders (which maybe the Serb from Sevilla and Cacapa) and a left back.

Given

Harper

Geremi --- Rozehnal --- Cacapa --- *****

Carr --- Taylor---*****---Babayaro

Milner---Barton---Smith---Duff

Solano---Butt---Emre---N'Zogbia

Owen---Viduka

Martins---Luque

And that's not including the young lads we've got on the fringe like Huntington, Ramage, Pattison, Carroll and Ameobi. Given a couple or three more squad signings and we should be alright - I'm optomistic providing we can get the players we're linked with in before the window closes.

Edited by Armchair Pundit

The Chronicle revealed that United were signing Cacapa yesterday and contacts were quick to phone me waxing lyrical about the defender

:lol: He's on form today.

It must be interesting to live in this bizarro world than old Anal inhabits in his mind where people get straight onto the phone desperate to speak to him about anything important and where he also probably thinks he's a talented journalist and fans favourite!

BRAZILIAN centre-back Claudio Cacapa has become Sam Allardyce's second signing within 12 hours after penning a two-year deal at St.James' Park.

The 31-year-old joins the Magpies under freedom of contract having left French champions Lyon at the end of last season.

Cacapa's arrival comes hot on the heels of Alan Smith who joined from Man Utd for an undisclosed fee earlier on Friday.

The Brazil international, who will take the No.6 shirt, has signed a two-year contract at Gallowgate with the possibility of a third-year.

:lol: Just noticed/forgot about the other thread!!

Edited by East Stander

Welcome aboard son! :lol:

A champions league stalwart with 5 consecutive French titles, on a free transfer. Can't argue with that.

Here's hoping he's more Brilliant and less Bramble!