Pro Evolution Soccer 2008

Jimbo

Michael Owen signs to 'Pro Evo 2008'

Monday, July 23 2007, 11:31 BST

By David Gibbon, Gaming Reporter

Japanese publisher Konami has announced it has secured the services of striker Michael Owen, who will now appear on the packaging of Pro Evolution Soccer 2008.

The Newcastle and England star joins winger Cristiano Ronaldo, who will also appear on the box of the forthcoming game, while both footballers will also take part in the title's marketing campaign.

"Securing Michael Owen is a real coup for Konami," commented PES Team Leader at Konami Jon Murphy. "Since he burst on to the scene, he has proven himself an incredible goal-scorer, netting at every level both domestic and international. We are delighted to be working alongside such a talent."

"PES 2008 is a fantastic game, and the only choice for pro players," added Owen.

"It enjoys a brilliant reputation within many, many players and manages to be a true simulation of football while also being a real laugh to play. I look forward to working closely with Konami in the run up to launch, and being a key part of its development."

The signing is the latest football star to join the gaming ranks, with EA recently announcing that Brazil legend Ronaldinho will appear on the packaging of FIFA 08.

Pro Evolution Soccer 2008 will be released for PS3, PS2, PSP, Xbox 360, PC and DS this autumn.

pes2008cq7jb4gc2.th.jpg

What changes would you like to see from the last one lads?

Huge one for me is the slide tackle. You know the one, you're playing 2 player and put in a tackle only for a player 5 yards ahead of the attacker to go on his arse, whilst your opponent wanders into the box to fire one in!

Other than that(and the need for more licences/better commentary), I found PES6 had a very good balance. Free kicks were difficult, but not impossible to score from, keepers were good, but still made errors etc.

I'd like the master league tweaked slightly. Harder levels and a little 'neater' I suppose.

• 3 weeks later...

I still never get bored with PES like. Personally, I would change what they class as a foul. Sometimes you make cracking challenges and get booked. Also, is it me or when you go in for a 50-50 with the CPU and both players go down, the CPU is always up first and to the ball, whether you were the one who made the challenge or were on the receieving end of it.

Still, two very minor grumbles is a quality piece of software.

Edited by sweetleftpeg

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Never got the Pc demo to work, but played the 360 demo on tuesday, seems canny good all though that was a bit fast paced but I've herd that was just for the demo.

Getting it after work the morrow and might have some peeps round on friday or sunday.

So then, if Im toying between this and Fifa for the Ps3, would PES here still be the one to go for these days? Its a while since I had one for a console...

Do any of you gents play this on the PS2?

If so, what are your thoughts so far?

Personally, I've found it a little slower but there's always a period of adjustment at the start.

Also, regarding editing, I'm a bit anal about it, so almost immediately I started tickering with team names, kits and line-ups. Does anybody hear use the option files from the net?

• 3 weeks later...