how would everyone set the side up with the current batch of players?

Dr Gloom

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I guess when everyone's fit it might look something like this:

---------------Given

Solano--Capaca--Rozenhal----Enrique

Geremi----Barton---Butt--------Duff

------------Viduka---Owen

Bench:

Harper

Taylor

Martins

Smith

Milner

Smith would be in there somewhere, there's no way he came here to be on the bench. I don't think we'll play 4-4-2 personally. I think Geremi needs to be in the middle, too.

that's just the side i'd go for personally. i'd play viduka and owen (and martins) ahead of smith up front. and i don't think smith's good enough in midfield to start ahead of barton, butt or geremi

The great thing as somebody said is that we can't decide on a first XI as plenty of players deserve to be in there and we can't decide on an exact formation either. And that's because Big Sam will change it to suit the situation, he actually thinks about things like that! We could well see much differing lineups for home against lightweight opposition compared to away against big, tough teams.

I honestly have no idea what team i'd pick if everyone was fit, and that's the first time i can say that in years!

It's too hard to call in Midfield for me, but I think we will play 4-3-3 and I can't see Smith featuring in an already overcrowded midfield I reckon he's gonna be playing upfront and we'll have.....

Owen or Smith------Viduka or Ameobi-----Martins or Luque

Obviously Sam wants to take the cups seriously and it'll be a long hard season if we are to get back into europe so we'll need plenty of firepower and I reckon thats why we've got 7 strikers on the books.

As for midfield if he's playing three there then he's got to have someone holding could be someone like Butt, Barton or Geremi. On the right he has options in Solano Milner and Dyer with N'Zogbia and Duff on the left.

As for the defence it pretty much picks itself.

Given

Carr-----Taylor-----Rozenthal-----Enrique

It's a nice feeling to know that we FINALLY have choices in positions, and I've been mulling over a few line-ups, and can't pick one. It all depends on form and injuries:

---------------Given--------------

Solano--Taylor--Rozenhal--Enrique

--------------Geremi-------------

Barton-------------------------Duff

---------------Smith--------------

----Owen-------------Martins----

OR:

Solano--Cacapa--Rozenhal--Enrique

Milner--Geremi---Barton--N'Zogbia

--------Viduka------Owen---------

OR:

Geremi--Cacapa--Taylor--Enrique

Milner-------Barton------Emre

--------Owen--------Martins-----

--------------Viduka---------------

OR:

---------------Given-------------

Taylor--Cacapa--Rozenhal--Enrique

----------------Butt-----------------

Solano-----------------------Emre

---------------Barton----------------

-----Viduka-----------Martins------

But for the beginning of the season until injuries clear up etc. I see the line-up being:

Solano--Taylor--Rozenhal--Enrique

Milner---Geremi----Butt-----Smith

-------Viduka--------Martins-------

Edited by Glen

Given

Cacapa Taylor Rozenhal Enrique

Geremi Barton Emre

Smith

Owen Martins

Bench

Harper

Carr

Butt

Milner

Viduka

Howay man, give N'Zogbia and Nobby a look in!

Given

Geremi Barton Emre

Smith

Owen Martins

Bench

Harper

Carr

Butt

Milner

Viduka

Ok swap out carr on the bench and replace with Nobby, but zoggy wont get a look in for the time being, I want to see how the new midfield works first, I've always been a secret admirer of Emre, when hes playing well he can be devastating but he does go missing alot to be honest, but I would love to see him turn it round this coming season, if there was a season to shine, this is it

Given

Geremi Barton Emre

Smith

Owen Martins

Bench

Harper

Carr

Butt

Milner

Viduka

Ok swap out carr on the bench and replace with Nobby, but zoggy wont get a look in for the time being, I want to see how the new midfield works first, I've always been a secret admirer of Emre, when hes playing well he can be devastating but he does go missing alot to be honest, but I would love to see him turn it round this coming season, if there was a season to shine, this is it

Emre seems to have the qualities to really turn it on, but I think it depends on the people around him to create space. I think you may be right, hopefully the work of Smith, Barton etc can create the time and space for him.

Given

Geremi Barton Emre

Smith

Owen Martins

Bench

Harper

Carr

Butt

Milner

Viduka

Emre seems to have the qualities to really turn it on, but I think it depends on the people around him to create space. I think you may be right, hopefully the work of Smith, Barton etc can create the time and space for him.

This was my team but Viduka instead of Smith! =) Geremi Barton Emre would be wicked in that midfield trio

Given

Geremi Barton Emre

Smith

Owen Martins

Bench

Harper

Carr

Butt

Milner

Viduka

This was my team but Viduka instead of Smith! =) Geremi Barton Emre would be wicked in that midfield trio

I am quite excited for this coming season, I can see some mouth watering combos in midfield and our defence is looking better, hopefully given can stay injury free and I think we could be seeing a resurgent toon :lol:

Given or Harper

Enrique (I'd chuck him in for Bolton personally)

Rozehnal

Taylor or Cacapa

Geremi

Butt

Smith

Dyer

N'Zogbia

Viduka

Martins

Think the above may be fit for Bolton.

Team to play Bolton, with our current injuries

--------------------------Harper---------------------------

Carr------------Taylor------Rozenal---------------Enrique

----------------------Butt--------------------------------

-----------Geremi-------------------Zoggy-------------

--------------------Smith--------------------------------

-------------Viduka--------------Martins----------------

Looks a pretty decent team, pop in a new right back & Given between the sticks and looks even better. With Barton,Emre,Owen,Luque& Duff to come back and Capaca to get fit there is going to be real competition for places. Cant wait now

Edited by jaythesouthernmag

good to see so many of you playing cacapa out of position. he's a centre back....

for me our strongest team would be

--------------------------given---------------------------

Taylor/nobby---------Cacapa----Rozenal----Enrique

----------------------Butt--------------------------------

-Geremi/milner----------------------Zoggy/Duff-

--------------------Barton--------------------------------

-------------Viduka--------------Owen----------------

with the wide players swapping flanks and 3 dead ball players on the pitch in geremi, barton and nobby.

I chose to put Cacapa at right back because Taylor is bigger than him and probably better in the air, and if he has a calm head like Roz alongside him would be starting to perform far more consistently. Remember the Chelsea game last year where he ruled Drogba? let's have more of that this year Tayls. Cacapa is quite a capable right back, would have him there above anyone else we have in the squad at the moment.

I chose to put Cacapa at right back because Taylor is bigger than him and probably better in the air, and if he has a calm head like Roz alongside him would be starting to perform far more consistently. Remember the Chelsea game last year where he ruled Drogba? let's have more of that this year Tayls. Cacapa is quite a capable right back, would have him there above anyone else we have in the squad at the moment.

i didn't relalise that. good to know if it's true.

It would be good to have a 6 foot + back four along with Butt, Viduka and Geremi who are all decent in the air in our side. Makes a difference from recent years when we've looked a small side a lot of the time and could make the difference in tight matches.

It would be good to have a 6 foot + back four along with Butt, Viduka and Geremi who are all decent in the air in our side. Makes a difference from recent years when we've looked a small side a lot of the time and could make the difference in tight matches.

agreed, but buy diop and wack him in midfield ahead of butt, but as this threads about current line of players thats not going to happen