Newcastle back in for £6m Baines

Scottish Mag

Newcastle are ready to renew their interest in signing Wigan Athletic defender Leighton Baines.

The Wigan Athletic left-back was linked with Newcastle United earlier this summer before the trail went cold.

But they are eyeing him again, emerging as possible rivals to favourites Everton to snap up the England Under-21 international.

Their North East rivals Sunderland saw Baines reject a £6m move there last month.

Since then, Everton have been trying to lure him to Goodison Park, although they have yet to come up with an acceptable offer for a player they released as a teenager. They bid £4m plus winger Andy Van der Meyde, an offer rejected out of hand by Latics.

Manchester City expressed an interest too earlier in the week, but yesterday snapped up left-back Javier Garrido from Real Sociedad which effectively ended their chase.

So there might be a chance for Newcastle to come in and take Baines, and it would be a move that appeals, even though it means leaving the North West.

It is proving to be a frustrating pre-season for the 22-year-old as he tries to sort out his future.

While he is not unhappy at Latics, a move to a more established top-flight club would strengthen his chances of breaking into the England squad.

Baines hasn't been able to train regularly to take his mind off the transfer speculation – a virus and a slight hamstring strain keeping him away from the pitch.

He is unlikely to be in the squad which travels to Leeds tomorrow for Latics' final pre-season friendly.

http://www.lep.co.uk/ViewArticle.aspx?sect...ticleid=3083910

Edited by Scottish Mag

Humble pie for all those who doubted Stevie.

Not until he signs it's not.

Just jerking Mr, just jerking.

I don't think the height thing was anything more than journalistic licence btw. Pretty sure there were no quotes attributable to Allardyce.

I don't think the height thing was anything more than journalistic licence btw. Pretty sure there were no quotes attributable to Allardyce.

That's Jimbos speciallity isn't it?

Apparently. He never got his cock out once at the piss-up though. Poor show tbh.

Apparently. He never got his cock out once at the piss-up though. Poor show tbh.

Perhaps he felt it would have been, which is why he didn't. Either that or he didn't want to upstage our resident exhibitionist, Smoothy.

As long as Carr doesn't have to play of course.

He looked alright at the end of last season and in pre-season tbf.

Agreed. Credit where credit's due.

He still has the tactical awareness of a pint of Guiness. He more than often exposed a player down the right flank to mark a player who was already covered by a central defender in the friendlies I saw (though having Ramage there might explain it...).

He still has the tactical awareness of a pint of Guiness. He more than often exposed a player down the right flank to mark a player who was already covered by a central defender in the friendlies I saw (though having Ramage there might explain it...).

:lol:

At the end of last season he looked ok at leftback which probably isn't that surprising considering what we had to suffer the rest of the season.

I've seen nothing other that the goals from pre season so I couldn't really comment but I'd still be surprised if he's more than our 4th best rightback at the club after Nobby, Geremi and Taylor.

At the end of last season he looked ok at leftback which probably isn't that surprising considering what we had to suffer the rest of the season.

I've seen nothing other that the goals from pre season so I couldn't really comment but I'd still be surprised if he's more than our 4th best rightback at the club after Nobby, Geremi and Taylor.

don't you mean he looked good there because we were so used to seeing babayaro there

Magpies in for Baines

3/ 8/2007

NEWCASTLE United are understood to have revived interest in Wigan Athletic's Leighton Baines and could be poised to out-bid Everton for the England under 21 left-back.

Baines was strongly tipped to join Everton in the next 48 hours in a £5m deal but Toon boss Sam Allardyce is now set to launch a Magpie swoop to scupper Everton's plans.

Baines is still said to favour a move to Everton but he has told his close associates contrary to reports, he is willing to uproot from the north west should an opportunity arise.

Wigan Athletic officials are still expecting a renewed offer from Everton and will then allow Baines to speak with Goodison Park officials to discuss personal terms.

These could take place this weekend. Baines last week turned down a £6m move to Sunderland and is currently being treated for a hamstring injury.

http://www.manchestereveningnews.co.uk/spo...for_baines.html

No quotes, and the fact that we watched the mackems get as far as discussing personal terms would classify this under the "Alan Oliver School of 2+2 equals Brett Emerton".

Very valid point, if we were to purchase him, would seem to me he would be an alternative option to a few missed targets

From Anal O

SAM ALLARDYCE is ready to go for Wigan Athletic’s Leighton Baines, hoping to clinch a £5m deal for the England Under-21 left-back.

And he will do so after his first choice Mikael Silvestre turned down the chance to come to St James’ Park.

Big Sam had hoped to use Alan Smith, who signed a five-year contract with Newcastle today, as a lever to persuade his former Old Trafford team-mate Silvestre to join him on Tyneside.

But the Frenchman, who can operate at both left-back and as a left midfielder, has turned down the chance to come to St James’ – because of Joey Barton’s bust-up with Ousmane Dabo at Manchester City.

I understand Allardyce had agreed a £6m fee with Sir Alex Ferguson and the pair of them were stunned when the 40- times capped French international said ‘No’ because Dabo is his best pal.

Dabo himself has urged Silvestre to join Newcastle and so too has his agent, but the player is sticking to his guns.

And this would leave Baines firmly in Alardyce’s sights, with England Under-21 colleagues Steven Taylor and James Milner ready to throw out the red carpet for him at St James’ Park.

A source close to Baines told me today: "As far as he is concerned, Newcastle United have made a £5m bid for him."

Baines has already snubbed Sunderland and Everton, but the Chronicle revealed in May he would jump at the chance of coming to Newcastle, and this is still the case.

Big Sam is a big fan of the way Baines plays, but his only reservation is that he is a bit small for a left-back and this must leave John Beresford eating his heart out.

However, United’s need for a left- back is now bordering on being desperate and Baines could yet be granted his wish to come to St James’ Park.

Meanwhile, the arrival of Smith has been greeted by his former Leeds United side-kick Mark Viduka, who may finally make his United debut in Sunday’s friendly with Sampdoria at St James’ Park.

They only played for a short time together at Elland Road, but the Aussie striker said then: "I love it when Alan Smith is with us either in midfield or up front alongside me because we always manage to give opposing teams problems."

Smith has been on Man United’s pre-season trip to the Far East and could come straight into Allardyce’s plans.

Meanwhile, Kieron Dyer completed his move to West Ham late last night after coming through his medical.

UNITED have agreed to let young Dutch keeper Tim Krul go out on loan to Scottish Premier League side Falkirk until January 1.

From Anal O

Big Sam is a big fan of the way Baines plays, but his only reservation is that he is a bit small for a left-back and this must leave John Beresford eating his heart out.

:blush:

:lol:;)

Was Beresford hoping Allardyce was going to resign him like?

:lol:

"Meanwhile I was talking to archetypal Geordie Lee Clark who telephoned me to say adopted Geordie Robert Lee was having a great time on holiday with his big pal Alan Shearer who has ruled out moving into management for the time being. But Big Sam must know he is just keeping the St. James' Park hotseat warm for Big Al." etc.

From Anal O

SAM ALLARDYCE is ready to go for Wigan Athletic’s Leighton Baines, hoping to clinch a £5m deal for the England Under-21 left-back.

And he will do so after his first choice Mikael Silvestre turned down the chance to come to St James’ Park.

Big Sam had hoped to use Alan Smith, who signed a five-year contract with Newcastle today, as a lever to persuade his former Old Trafford team-mate Silvestre to join him on Tyneside.

But the Frenchman, who can operate at both left-back and as a left midfielder, has turned down the chance to come to St James’ – because of Joey Barton’s bust-up with Ousmane Dabo at Manchester City.

I understand Allardyce had agreed a £6m fee with Sir Alex Ferguson and the pair of them were stunned when the 40- times capped French international said ‘No’ because Dabo is his best pal.

Dabo himself has urged Silvestre to join Newcastle and so too has his agent, but the player is sticking to his guns.

And this would leave Baines firmly in Alardyce’s sights, with England Under-21 colleagues Steven Taylor and James Milner ready to throw out the red carpet for him at St James’ Park.

A source close to Baines told me today: "As far as he is concerned, Newcastle United have made a £5m bid for him."

Baines has already snubbed Sunderland and Everton, but the Chronicle revealed in May he would jump at the chance of coming to Newcastle, and this is still the case.

However, United’s need for a left- back is now bordering on being desperate and Baines could yet be granted his wish to come to St James’ Park.

Meanwhile, the arrival of Smith has been greeted by his former Leeds United side-kick Mark Viduka, who may finally make his United debut in Sunday’s friendly with Sampdoria at St James’ Park.

They only played for a short time together at Elland Road, but the Aussie striker said then: "I love it when Alan Smith is with us either in midfield or up front alongside me because we always manage to give opposing teams problems."

Smith has been on Man United’s pre-season trip to the Far East and could come straight into Allardyce’s plans.

Meanwhile, Kieron Dyer completed his move to West Ham late last night after coming through his medical.

UNITED have agreed to let young Dutch keeper Tim Krul go out on loan to Scottish Premier League side Falkirk until January 1.

this man cannot write to save his life. god knows how he's clung on to his job for so long