Anyone got the feeling we're going to be good this season?

Row Z

Hi guys, new to the board but a long time reader.

Has anyone else got the blind optimism bug for the new season yet? For the first time in donkeys years we have a decent manager, one who won't pander the the overpaid faries in the squad. All the wasters are gone, or going, namely Bramble! ... How come he lasted so long anyway?

Big Sam has signed some decent players - the move for Viduka could be a shrewd one. Owen/Martins/Smith (maybe) upfront too :lol:

I'll be feeling a lot better if we land the 2-3 defenders we've been linked with in the last 2 days.

Although I'd still like a genuinely quality play making midfielder too.

I feel a hell of a lot better than I did at the start of the last two seasons and immensely better than I did at the end of last. I'm looking forward to the new season and while I dont have a high expectation, my feeling is that we have turned a corner and are at least putting things in place to start crawling our way back up the table. I think Europe has to be the aim, but top half would be the right direction.

I find Allardyce's comments rather disturbing. The players were "de-conditioned" ? What the hell did Roeder/Souness do with them... let them sit about reading the papers all day? Our injuries are a joke to be fair. No Owen for Bolton.... ? :lol:

I find Allardyce's comments rather disturbing. The players were "de-conditioned" ? What the hell did Roeder/Souness do with them... let them sit about reading the papers all day? Our injuries are a joke to be fair. No Owen for Bolton.... ? :lol:

I'm not sure he can really blame that too much for our injury (curse), a lot of the players now with injuries having never really played since major injury and several injured weren't even our players last season.

However I suspect they maybe were "de-conditioned" to what he had come to expect at Bolton and hopefully he can get that sort of system/regiem back in place (this in another area where I wish there was more news on our progress - how is the 28+ man backroom staff coming and Sam's secret lab/tactical headquarters/thunderbirds base thing.

Nope

another season of mid table mediocrity ending in a relegation fight with our paper thin squad suffering further injuries with academy players playing the final quarter of the season

Having said that, I do think the season after (assuming that there isn't a knee jerk reaction and we sack Big Sam) could be a good one when all the back room staff and his sports injury/science stuff is implemented and the players fitness levels are elevated to something slightly higher than your average Big market going, pie munching cretin

The thing is, fitness and conditioning has become very scientific and I get the feeling Allardyce is miles ahead of the last three managers we've had here (at least) in this regard. It isn't about how long you train but what you do and a player like Michael Owen needs a different regime from a player like Steven Taylor both in terms of fitness and (more obviously) tactical awareness etc. I think Allardyce recognises this I'd hope that over the next 12 months or so we see a marked improvement in both the overall fitness of the squad and the injury situation at the club. I don't think anything will be left to chance and I think all aspects of players health (including dietary requirements and so on) will be looked at much more closely from now on.

The thing is, fitness and conditioning has become very scientific and I get the feeling Allardyce is miles ahead of the last three managers we've had here (at least) in this regard. It isn't about how long you train but what you do and a player like Michael Owen needs a different regime from a player like Steven Taylor both in terms of fitness and (more obviously) tactical awareness etc. I think Allardyce recognises this I'd hope that over the next 12 months or so we see a marked improvement in both the overall fitness of the squad and the injury situation at the club. I don't think anything will be left to chance and I think all aspects of players health (including dietary requirements and so on) will be looked at much more closely from now on.

Absolutely but I dont think even with the best will in the world they are going to be able to turn all the players round in a short time, possibly by christmas they maybe on the road to being where BS wants them, the problem is, any injuries is going to dent the timescale hes working to and with our paper thin squad I simply cant see them having the team on an intensive fitness regime

nope. i think we're going to underachive again unless we sign at least another 3 or 4 class players.

the optimist in me hopes we can challenge for top 6.

the realist expects another season of mid-table mediocrity.

hope i'm wrong though!

If we get the four we're linked with: Smith, Capaca, Baines and Drago i'll be very optimistic of a top 6 finish.

The shame is, for all the good work we've done this summer, clearing out the crap, bringing in shrewd signings, new board, trying to get rid of the debt etc etc, you've got plebs like the one at Man City who goes on a money spending spunkathon, which takes the piss really.

I reckon we'll see a couple more arrive at least. Allardyce knows the score. The playmaker might have to wait a while.

agreed it may have to wait a while, but i believe this could be as important as a new left back. A playmaker is vital such as arteta or deco, either we are not getting lol. Smith isn't a playmaker and as much as BS believes Barton isn't really either. We were lacking a playmaker last season and may suffer again this time round

Edited by NobbySol

When Sam first took over, I said top 10 would be a good finish as long as we were showing the right signs of improvement.

However, the speed we moved in the transfer market initially raised my hopes and I thought if we had continued in that vein, UEFA Cup qualification would be an excellent achievement, as well as a cup run.

Since we've slowed down in the market and picked up injuries, I've reverted to my initial thoughts for the season, as the squad isn't currently good enough I think to qualify for Europe(mainly due to the defence).

I'd like to see us become harder to beat(especially at home-I loved how under Bobby, SJP was treated as a fortress) and for injuries to ease off.

I'm quite optimistic. I'm not expecting us to all of a sudden get Champions League football as all I really expect is for us to have a decent season, which will work as a foundation for Sam to carry on building the team.

If we get the four we're linked with: Smith, Capaca, Baines and Drago i'll be very optimistic of a top 6 finish.

The shame is, for all the good work we've done this summer, clearing out the crap, bringing in shrewd signings, new board, trying to get rid of the debt etc etc, you've got plebs like the one at Man City who goes on a money spending spunkathon, which takes the piss really.

You've got a manager who knows who he wants and the club go and sign them. I don't think you can take the piss out of City for that, if our board were able to back the manager in the same way then I'd be looking at UEFA Cup qualification as a minimum.

I think we wont have a problem scoring goals but I would like to see a defensive midfielder, a right back and the spanish kid we have agreed to sign at lb plus a utility defender who can cover all across the back then we will have a pretty realistic chance of a top 6 finish :icon_lol::icon_lol:

I think that with the new signings plus the players already onboard it will prove to be a better season for us. I can't see us losing games we should have won like we did against worse teams last season.

With the likes of Barton, Smith, Taylor, Butt, Milner, Solano, Viduka, Geremi, I can't see a shortage of bottle and hopefully Rozey and the boy from Brazil will give us that extra pint.

Yeah, I'm quite optimistic, really happy with Geremi and optimistic about Cacapa, bit of experience and class at the back that we've been crying out for. Hopefully this left back deal will be done and he'll be able to fill that gap better than anyone has for a few years (though I think we still need more cover there).

I think Smith is similar to Dyer and it's just like for like (in terms of ability and being prone to injury). However it's a new set of legs (hopefully) keen to impress, rather than a player that had become stale and whose stock was at an alltime low with the fans.

Barton and Viduka, I'm not so excited about, but looking at the comings and goings, they're replacements for Parker and Sibierski which has to be a vast improvement.

One concern is that despite all the talk of a more professional regime, where fitness is a priority and modern methods being used to ensure it, we still have more players in the physio room than any other club

http://www.physioroom.com/news/english_pre...njury_table.php

In the main they're short term, if Allardyce can cut down on those types of injury (strains) and keep his squad closer to fully fit, with the start to the season we're blessed with I'll be quite excited.