Anyone got the feeling we're going to be good this season?

Row Z

Looking at the way in which other clubs have strengthened I expect to see the following above us.

Man Utd

Chelsea

Liverpool

Arsenal

Spurs

Portsmouth may also be pushing highly as will Blackburn. Dont know what Bolton will do this season but theyve bought 11 players. This could see us anywhere between 6th & 9th really.

Looking at the way in which other clubs have strengthened I expect to see the following above us.

Man Utd

Chelsea

Liverpool

Arsenal

Spurs

Portsmouth may also be pushing highly as will Blackburn. Dont know what Bolton will do this season but theyve bought 11 players. This could see us anywhere between 6th & 9th really.

Its always hard to predict what teams will do with all their new signings, but most people accept the top 4 as set in stone pretty much with Spurs now the favourites for 5th and aiming to sneak into the top 4 if somebody slips up.

We should definitely be aiming for 6th as its achievable and looking (if things are going well) to get 5th ourselves, especially if come January we are looking good and invest in a couple of top class players.

But if Big Sam gets us to 7th or below but there are signs of big improvement in the direction we are heading then he's still goign to have vastly improved us from the shite under the previous two imbeciles.

Hi guys, new to the board but a long time reader.

Has anyone else got the blind optimism bug for the new season yet? For the first time in donkeys years we have a decent manager, one who won't pander the the overpaid faries in the squad. All the wasters are gone, or going, namely Bramble! ... How come he lasted so long anyway?

Big Sam has signed some decent players - the move for Viduka could be a shrewd one. Owen/Martins/Smith (maybe) upfront too :icon_lol:

Welcome :rolleyes:

Yeah I'm feeling very optimistic, which is a very odd feeling to have!!! :icon_lol:

If we get the four we're linked with: Smith, Capaca, Baines and Drago i'll be very optimistic of a top 6 finish.

The shame is, for all the good work we've done this summer, clearing out the crap, bringing in shrewd signings, new board, trying to get rid of the debt etc etc, you've got plebs like the one at Man City who goes on a money spending spunkathon, which takes the piss really.

You've got a manager who knows who he wants and the club go and sign them. I don't think you can take the piss out of City for that, if our board were able to back the manager in the same way then I'd be looking at UEFA Cup qualification as a minimum.

Actually I take that back after reading that Sven has admitted that he hasn't even seen some of his new signings play live.

Hi guys, new to the board but a long time reader.

Has anyone else got the blind optimism bug for the new season yet? For the first time in donkeys years we have a decent manager, one who won't pander the the overpaid faries in the squad. All the wasters are gone, or going, namely Bramble! ... How come he lasted so long anyway?

Big Sam has signed some decent players - the move for Viduka could be a shrewd one. Owen/Martins/Smith (maybe) upfront too :rolleyes:

Welcome :razz:

Yeah I'm feeling very optimistic, which is a very odd feeling to have!!! :icon_lol:

How's things looking down for Torquay there Mrs. Raider? Do you think they'll get back up or not?

Hope they do mind. :icon_lol:

Id happily back us for a finish inbetween 7-10 th

Im optimistic as now when looking at the team we have more quality / experience in areas needed, squad depth is also improving and we have less injuries to start the season with.

Im hoping its going to be more enjoyable which would be a good change over previous seasons

Somewhere between 6th & 10th would be my guess.

we could finish as high as 6th or as low as 16th in my opinion. i think we're probably too good to go down but a way away still from challenging the big boys.

we could finish as high as 6th or as low as 16th in my opinion. i think we're probably too good to go down but a way away still from challenging the big boys.

You've committed yourself there like :icon_lol:

I reckon we'l get a decent finish,

I think it'l be a season to build on, but at least BS has brought some dignity and respect to the club,

So rather than relegation battling clowns we can be mid table

if i'm honest i don't expect us to finish that much higher than last season. a top half finish should be the least we're expecting given the size of the club but we finished too close to the relegation zone for comfort last season so i wouldn't rule out another scrap at thw wrong end of the table either. a lot will depend on how the relatively unknown foreign signings sam has made bed in.

hopefully cacapa will be the next gallas instead of the next boumsong.

if i'm honest i don't expect us to finish that much higher than last season. a top half finish should be the least we're expecting given the size of the club but we finished too close to the relegation zone for comfort last season so i wouldn't rule out another scrap at thw wrong end of the table either. a lot will depend on how the relatively unknown foreign signings sam has made bed in.

I think the potential problem you mention is more applicable to Man City than us. Many of our signings have good Premiership experience. However, I take your point on perhaps the back line where it seems they wont. Though from what Ive seen Rozenhal looks a good steady player albeit in friendlies.

With these new signings, Id be disappointed if we didnt get top 8.

I think the potential problem you mention is more applicable to Man City than us. Many of our signings have good Premiership experience. However, I take your point on perhaps the back line where it seems they wont. Though from what Ive seen Rozenhal looks a good steady player albeit in friendlies.

With these new signings, Id be disappointed if we didnt get top 8.

Yeah, I can see us getting into the top 8 and maybe even getting back into the intertoto to reclaim our titile.

I think we might surprise ourselves. If BS can get us settled quickly I reckon we might do quite well. We have players at our club that haven't really played to their potential yet, Luque and Duff to name two. Getting one or two of those to start performing and it'll be like a new signing. If we get Owen back and provide him and our other strikers with the ball (something we could not do consistently last season) we will start getting the right results.

If I'd answered this question 2/3 days ago I probably wouldn't have been as optimistic, but we've finally signed some canny looking defenders and some steely determination in midfield. So I guess it comes back to my first 'if'. If we can get settled, I think we might just sneak a place in Europe by some means. Top 8 finish and maybe a route to Europe either by placing or by a cup run.

• 1 year later...
Nope

another season of mid table mediocrity ending in a relegation fight with our paper thin squad suffering further injuries with academy players playing the final quarter of the season

Having said that, I do think the season after (assuming that there isn't a knee jerk reaction and we sack Big Sam) could be a good one when all the back room staff and his sports injury/science stuff is implemented and the players fitness levels are elevated to something slightly higher than your average Big market going, pie munching cretin

:lol:

At least we moved up the table compared to the year before.

Onwards and Upwards!