José Enrique

Baggio

Guest CabayeAye

Totally agree with what Ant and LBTs are saying here.

Put it another way - if I overnight became a billionaire, I'd buy the club tommorow and the day after would sack Pardew and replace him with a proper manager.

Pardew is just the front end for the c*ckney mafia who has gotten incredibly lucky this season. Anyone who thinks anything otherwise is hugely gullible.

So none of the good things are to his credit and all of the poor things are his fault. Thats a clear position of some people on here but it's not a very supportable one and imo shows a poor understanding of the challenges he has faced. League football is about getting points on the board which he has done, we've played some decent stuff along the way, progressed our style of play, developed players like Guthrie, hit upon some defensive solidity, unearthed one of the leading strikers in the league and most importantly of all have given 100% effort in most games and shown a resilience and willingness to fight for the cause.

I do think Pardew has some blind spots but that's because he has wanted to stick to a style of play. Earlier in the season he said he wanted to develop the side gradually and stick to a certain style. The situation with Hatem is complicated and even he admits he is not 100% fit yet. I am as frustrated as anyone about how much game time he is getting but bringing him back slowly may well prove to be the best thing for the player and the club.

Unearthed may not be the best word to describe selling an alcoholic wife beater for £35m and bringing in a player with only a handful of games in England for free who is now the second top scorer in the league. It does work though for anyone who was initially dismissive of Ba. I was always with Gejon regarding Ba tbh.

:lol:

Chez, Blackpool were 8th with 25 points last christmas, look how well that turned out. Lets see how the spring season pans out before we declare him the best thing since scottish pizza crusts ( deep fried calzones :lol: ).

I dont like the hoofing and clueless man management regarding ben arfa + playing perch obertan best ameobis etc... surely thats an honest viewpoint?

Blackpool attained their league position by their cavalier football, trouble with cavalier football is that when the momentum runs out you're fucked. We've built upon a very solid defence and have a striker on form. When the goals dry up we're still hard to beat.

Blackpool are not a good comparison imo

our tight defense were partly reliant on Steven Taylor though fish. We all saw how his absence turned out..

What if we get another injury ( on colo), or williamson decides to do a perch? Or Ba`s knee decides to blow up?

You make it out as if we have more legs to stand on than blackpool. We dont. Our squad is wafer thin.

Without Ba or Colo we will find ourselves in the lower echelons of the league pretty much overnight.

Edited by Lake Bells tits

our tight defense were partly reliant on Steven Taylor though fish. We all saw how his absence turned out..

What if we get another injury ( on colo), or williamson decides to do a perch? Or Ba`s knee decides to blow up?

You make it out as if we have more legs to stand on than blackpool. We dont. Our squad is wafer thin.

Without Ba or Colo we will find ourselves in the lower echelons of the league pretty much overnight.

No, I'm making out that their good form was based on attack, ours on defence.

Yes if we lost our 1st choice centre halves for a large period of the season we'd be in trouble, as would every other club in the country... so that's a pointless argument.

We've a window approaching, I'd expect Pardew has made it clear we need a Centre Half and I'd hope even Ashley would see the need and release funds for a new player. So why are you throwing yourself off a bridge before the window closes? You are writing off our season despite the league table, despite the transfer window not even opening yet. It's a position based on nothing more than melodramatic pessimism.

the thing is we're doing well. can anyone really argue with that? did you expect us to be 7th in the league with 30 points? I'm not quite sure what some of you want...us to be in the top 3 playing beautiful football competing with the likes of the manchester teams etc.

I have bean pleasantly suprised with what ive seen this season i think we've played some nice football and the team have shown true commitment and togetherness. yes ive also been frustrated by the likes of obertan, but we dont see what hes doing in training and you can obviously see he lacks confidence, perhaps his assist this week will help (hopefully!) I'm sure that we'll be seeing a lot more of Ben arfa over the next few weeks, especially with Ba off soon.

It really frustrates me when I read about the transfer situation but what can be done, I'm sure Pardew wants a new striker, I expect he'd rather win games than lose, but with fat ashley in charge we know what to expect.

Things are not perfect but lets be honest its a lot better than it has been for a while, and lets hope things can keep improving.

Guest CabayeAye

The reason I'm annoyed with Pardew is despite the fact we are doing well (arguably due to a fat slice of luck), we could have been doing so much better for some basic tactical and man management ability.

This isn't a criticism done with hindsight either. Have a look at the Swansea/Norwich/WBA match threads prior to kick off and look at everyone pointing out the obvious that Pardew is blind to.

Yes, we can't see the full picture, but Pardew's stubborn insistence on polishing turds whilst letting quality players rot is just downright incompetent.

Let's put it another way. If you were a maths teacher who taught kids that 2+2=5, you could point out to your boss all the good stuff that you had done, it still wouldn't hide the glaring error you had made! What's the point of getting the hard stuff right (debateable anyway) if you can't get the basics right (man management, team selection, tactics)!

You don't get it do you?...

By the look of it - most matches we've played it's practically been 8-9 men out there... we've just been lucky Ba has been working for 2-3. The point CabayeAye is trying to make is that we could have increased our chances at winning the matches we should have, and probably played a lot better football overall, if Pardew had been a more optimized manager and didn't severely lack the ability to judge the players on forehand and make the correct decisions under the match, even if we're currently at 7th atm...

Probably we'll not beat a clever manager anymore because tactics doesn't seem work for several of the players Pardew tends to use, and they will always figure how to get around our best players because he's a very static tactician very easy to predict. Against a bigger team we'll always get demolished because the whole team is better +their tactics. Ba can probably sometimes beat us a total shite team because he's an amazing striker...

We've been lucky as fuck so far, but no-one should believe we are even going to hold the position we're at without changes. I can't see Pardew having several plans in his sleeve of how to approach the next games, and along with an intense fear of getting cover for the players will miss in Africa it will start to look bad and embarrasing for us very soon.
Edited by Aeris

When talking football tactics, people are forgetting that tactically sound and players performances are not mutually exclusive. At West Brom, there was not a lot wrong with our system (except a high line when chasing the win) but Coloccini had a poor game in that system and it cost us.

Norwich away, we NEEDED more height through the team in an attempt to defend their corners, that's why Shola had to be on the pitch. And shock horror, he played well. Pardew was tactically sound, I thought, he did the best he could knowing that Norwich were going to exploit our deficincies. They played well, we didn't play terribly, personnel let us down.

Swansea at home, we fucking BATTERED them for 90 minutes. They were chasing shadows for much of it but our midfield personnel didn't create enough chances and there wasn't enough space in the game for Ben Arfa to exploit; going direct seemed the best option and after the success it (really should have) had at Chelsea, Shola came on but didn't play well but the likes of Gutierrez and Cabaye didn't play well either in terms of creating chances and giving service to Ba. We weren't set up poorly there at all, they had one shot all game.

Bolton away, first half we played right into their hands but Pardew saw the space in and around their box, brought Ben Arfa on and we took the lead by exploiting that space. Then, he made Obertan get more direct at the weak Robinson and he set up the second. Sound away performance and exactly what we needed, 3 points, good win, back on the bus.

No point in those three games can you dismiss the drop in form as tactical cowardice or any other ridiculous term. He's struggled with injuries and suspensions but the way he set up the sides in their abscences was perfectly fine. Tactical cowardice would have been getting the equaliser against West Brom and shutting up shop. Tactical cowardice would have been setting us up at Old Trafford to try and escape with as few goals conceded as possible, likewise at Man City. There isn't one successful great tactic that you can plug players into, regardless of quality, fitness and opposition, that will always yield results. He's been tactically poor once this season and that was against QPR, which tbh, was a game in quite extraordinary circumstances (QPR's brand new, fairly exciting starting 11 had them on a real high).

After a good start, yes, losing games is always disappointing but the only teams that don't lose a few on the bounce over the course of a season are the top 2/3 and we're not there yet. We're 7th precisely because we've been set up remarkably well and played to our key strengths. Compare us tactically this year to Allardyce's reign for example, we were a shambles and that WAS tactical cowardice (playing for a draw at home to Derby). This is the best NUFC team in years because of Pardew's tactics.

Personally don't think we battered Swansea like. I can barely remember us creating any real chances or their keeping having to do much. Not like say the Blackpool game at home last season.