José Enrique

Baggio

So does anyone have the answer?

What is up with our 6m quid LB?

He's looked uneasy the times I've seen him play. Could be the language barrier. Could be he isn't good enough. Could be he isn't used to such a physical and direct way of playing football. Could be a combination of all these things.

Congrats by the way Sam my my mate, Newcastle born and bred. The mighty Jets are flying high!

Three cheers to Sammy.

Hip hip...HOORAY.

Hip hip...HOORAY.

Hip hip...HOORAY.

I shall be traveling down that way down October, to Sydney and its beautiful surroundings.

Tell me about it!

I've got sunburn, a horse voice, can't sleep but fuck it was amazing!

By the way Ken, I've got a beer or two with your name on it if you want to get in touch when you're down here.

My guess is he wants away.

Agreed - has a look of the rabbit in the headlights - the lads got talent but seems to have no confidence and nobody looks like they are willing to cajole him along - whenever i have watched him he seems to be the other players whipping boy - takes the shit and his head goes down

Hugely thought of in Spain they were on about how Madrid or Barca were going to get him before we did, how come every big prospect like this comes here and never does anything whereas if they go to Man U or Arsenal they end up doing well :hiya:

My guess is he wants away.

Shame because he looks like he's got the potential.

He must of wanted away quite early, seeing we've not seen much of him.

I'm just guessing like I said. KK's hates players who take the piss in training etc. though so I'm just speculating that maybe he wants away and his attitude hasn't been great. Who knows. I'd much rather see him and N'Zogbia down the left ideally.

Hugely thought of in Spain they were on about how Madrid or Barca were going to get him before we did, how come every big prospect like this comes here and never does anything whereas if they go to Man U or Arsenal they end up doing well :hiya:

It's because they're going into a winning side with good team spirit imo. When things aren't going well you need the team to pull together, encourage one another and work as a unit, something that we've been desperately lacking and one thing that I expect Keegan to get right next season when he has his own side and a full pre-season to work with them.

Zog would offer far more going forward than Duff. If you're going to sacrifice an attacking player to be a sub-par left back it should be Duff every time.

Might as well give Kadar a run out though, the couple of reserve games he's had have been champion, and we saw with Carroll what energy a young reserve eager to impress can bring to the team. He did more running off the ball in his cameo than anyone else in the entire game.

That's rubbish imo. Of the three or four players I'd keep for next season, Duff would be one of them. N'Zogbia, Owen and Milner are the others. The rest can go and ponder a future elsewhere.

What's Duff done to warrant that? Over and above...say...Martins.

It's because they're going into a winning side with good team spirit imo. When things aren't going well you need the team to pull together, encourage one another and work as a unit, something that we've been desperately lacking and one thing that I expect Keegan to get right next season when he has his own side and a full pre-season to work with them.

Yeah good point, that must be it. I think our players are completely detached from each other none of them look like they really bother with each other.

My guess is the reason KK doesn't play him is the probably same reason why BSA wouldn't play him, the difference being of course one manager was apparently a complete incompetent, the other is the messiah.

The amount of negativity on here is really borderline mad.

It wasn't three weeks ago some who have posted in this thread were crowing about the Zog being our best player, a likely transfer target for Arsenal/Man U/etc. and now he's downgraded to "average?" Have you not been watching the games? Aye he's a terrible left back, we all know it, but attacking he's surely our player of the season, sad as it is.

As for Enrique I never rated him, always looked too casual without the physical presence needed in the EPL. Another Luque? It's possible, although if so I hope he doesn't hang out as long as he did and weigh down our wages bill. The gravy train is closed as the ejection of Babayaro shows, hopefully with Carr to follow soon.

Yeah, I remember last season when Duff was played left back a couple of times and looked competent there. Would do a better job than Zog for sure, just cause of his experience there in the past for Blackburn if I remember correctly? Zog is a handful for any fullback going forwards, but he can't consistently put crosses in if he isn't consistently playing on the left wing!

I don't understand why Enrique wasn't played in many of the games this season against lesser opposition that seemed to be perfect for him to play in? Maybe he really is just completely shocking in training and practice games...

I don't understand why Enrique wasn't played in many of the games this season against lesser opposition that seemed to be perfect for him to play in? Maybe he really is just completely shocking in training and practice games...

What I don't understand is why Enrique isn't playing in reserve games when he's not getting a run-out with the first team?

If it's a question of match-experience, match-play, match-fitness, or failing to show anything in practice then surely all this could be resolved one way or another by getting to see what he has to offer in competitive matches instead of sitting on the bench.

And frankly, what I have seen of him so far gives me the impression he could be alright at left-back if given a run of starts.

For me I can't think of a leftback that we've had since Beresford that's looked better than him (not much competition there I know) so I can't understand why we aren't playing him. On the radio they were saying he was having a good game against Arsenal in the cup until his injury so it's not as if Keegan doesn't have anything to go on.

I can only assume that there are some problems behind the scenes.

For me I can't think of a leftback that we've had since Beresford that's looked better than him (not much competition there I know) so I can't understand why we aren't playing him. On the radio they were saying he was having a good game against Arsenal in the cup until his injury so it's not as if Keegan doesn't have anything to go on.

I can only assume that there are some problems behind the scenes.

I know it divides people but Ollie Bernard?

~ wouldn't say his Newcastle career is over just yet.

I'd like to see him get a few games, certainly against the likes of Fulham, Reading and (if we're safe) Everton and Chelsea on the final couple of days.

I actually like this guy he looks as though he can play a bit and is ACTUALLY a left back. He cant do no worse than charlie in that position and it means he is free to get some decent crosses in and cause an attacking menace. I think with a little time to adjust to the league and a run of games he could be our best left back for some time (not difficult really considering its been babayaro for quite a while previously to this season)

Zog would offer far more going forward than Duff. If you're going to sacrifice an attacking player to be a sub-par left back it should be Duff every time.

Might as well give Kadar a run out though, the couple of reserve games he's had have been champion, and we saw with Carroll what energy a young reserve eager to impress can bring to the team. He did more running off the ball in his cameo than anyone else in the entire game.

That's rubbish imo. Of the three or four players I'd keep for next season, Duff would be one of them. N'Zogbia, Owen and Milner are the others. The rest can go and ponder a future elsewhere.

What's Duff done to warrant that? Over and above...say...Martins.

I think Duff has done well since he's come back from injury. He's a better left winger than N'Zogbia. Duff has the experience and puts himself about. He'll bob up on the left, then switch to the right and try and link up with other players. The sort of stuff he did well while at Chelsea. N'Zogbia is sort of one-dimensional, but I'm not critisisng N'Zogbia at all. He has pace to burn, a decent shot and he takes on players too, but Duff is all over him with his experience and know how.

I just would have Duff over Martins myself. Although in saying that Martins isn't our worst player and he wouldn't be in the group of six or seven I'd love to see the club get rid of in the summer.

Putting him in and out of the team can't be helping the back four, and Christ do they need all the help they can get. I would start him, and persevere with Zog playing an attacking CM role. Problem is, we've been told the Zog feels CM is his strongest position but he always tends to go missing when we play him there...