José Enrique

Baggio

As people have said it's really refreshing to hear these things from one of our best players. TBH I wasn't sure about Enrique when he first came but it seems he's got better and better and although this league may not be the perfect stage to improve Enrique I'm sure that he'll become better and better.

Knowing this mental club I know not to assume that Enrique will definatly be staying but this is encouraging. As the boy said we need new players!

Were you formerly known as 'I R Toon Fan?' What happened? Forgot your password? :lol:

Haha. Wondered if someone would realise. I left it on auto sign in to long :blush:

I think Enrique as a player will benefit immensely from a full season in the championship (basically a full season in any league). He's a canny defender, and can whip in a mean cross, but like many fullbacks needs to improve on the consistency of his deliveries. Would be good to see him get a tidy amount of assists this season as well as a goal or two. He's made plenty of encouraging runs forward, would be great to see him put the ball in the back of the net (I think we'd see some real joy in his celebration - unlike Geremi who just hobbled back to his position after scoring in the Carling Cup).

It's crazy that we moved on Duff for 4 million, but noone has showed any interest in Enrique. If Ashley got a decent offer for him there's sadly no way that he'd say no. Let's all cross our fingers and hope that doesn't happen.

As far as importance to the team, I think he's just about at the top of the list. We have very little cover at left fullback (Tamas Kadar only? and he's never played a first string game for us - spare the Carling Cup).

These fucking Spaniards. Probably only likes it here because he's getting regular bumlove from Xisco

And now that Xisco's gone to Racing Santander?

Coincidence that Enrique had one of his poorer performances?

I remember Damien Duff saying something similar to this when we went down.

Exactly.

NUFC.com did a piece the other week showing all the quotes from players who went on to leave.

They were along the lines of: "NO WAY AM I EVER LEAVING NEWCASTLE, MAN. THIS IS MY HOME. NO WAY, MAAAN, NO WAY."

And, it's only my opinion, but I think Enrique is woeful.

He was shocking in the Premier League and can barely cope at this level, though I will admit that he has had one or two flashes of competence this season.

He just can't pass a ball or pick up a man.

Exactly.

NUFC.com did a piece the other week showing all the quotes from players who went on to leave.

They were along the lines of: "NO WAY AM I EVER LEAVING NEWCASTLE, MAN. THIS IS MY HOME. NO WAY, MAAAN, NO WAY."

He was shocking in the Premier League and can barely cope at this level, though I will admit that he has had one or two flashes of competence this season.

Sorry like but Enrique has been very good so far this season and rarely does anyone get past him - as well as the excellent cover he provides for his centre backs (like last night - were you there?)

Exactly.

fuck are you on about

Exactly.

Sorry like but Enrique has been very good so far this season and rarely does anyone get past him - as well as the excellent cover he provides for his centre backs (like last night - were you there?)

Apart from Leicester's right winger about 3 times in the first 10 mins last night....so much so that fuckin Geremi of all players had to be moved on to that flank to help Enrique out....he's done ok but is exposed by anyone with the barest hint of pace...has been from the moment he stepped foot in the club. He's not likely to be up agaisnt pace like that every week so he'll probably do ok.

He's still the only left back at the club ;)

Exactly.

Apart from Leicester's right winger about 3 times in the first 10 mins last night....so much so that fuckin Geremi of all players had to be moved on to that flank to help Enrique out....he's done ok but is exposed by anyone with the barest hint of pace...has been from the moment he stepped foot in the club. He's not likely to be up agaisnt pace like that every week so he'll probably do ok.

He's still the only left back at the club ;)

Well, we have Ben Tozer (he was on the bench against Leicster so i suppose it counts).. :cry:

Yes, I was. I travel from Manchester for every game. I hope that's good enough for you.

There were two occasions when he lost the ball while under pressure and a couple more when he didn't pick up his man, though there was one particular minute when he shielded the ball well when under pressure.

He was absolutely shocking at times against Sheffield Wednesday. On one attack, he had to pick up one of three players. So he stood in the middle of all of them looking clueless.

I just can't see what's so good about him.

fuck are you on about

As padlock says, Enrique was so poor at tracking the right winger, the manager had to bring Geremi across from the right to the left in order to help him!

If you think that is the sign of a good left back, then your football knowledge is about as good as your grammar and manners.

fuck are you on about

As padlock says, Enrique was so poor at tracking the right winger, the manager had to bring Geremi across from the right to the left in order to help him!

If you think that is the sign of a good left back, then your football knowledge is about as good as your grammar and manners.

hitting me where it hurts ;)

fuck are you on about

I think he just saw that Geremi was ineffectual on the right and Guthrie was on the left. By switching them you'd probably get more out of Guthrie while Geremi would give you as much as he was previously giving you on the other wing, i.e. not a lot. It worked as well. It's hardly like Hughton's mindset would have been "Enrique is struggling (which he wasn't) so I'll get Geremi to help him out as he has the legs to do it" is it?

Enrique's seriously one of the fastest players at the club. Their right winger had a bright start to the game, but definitely didn't get by Enrique 3 times in the first 10 minutes. There was one time though where he was beaten (got in behind him). I think Enrique took a while to get into the pace of the game (which could have been costly). After that early spell their winger did bugger all after realising that he wasn't able to outpace Enrique. Enrique did have a poor game by his standards though - his passing was pretty weak overall. In his defense Geremi was completely inneffectual in front of him never moving into space and providing the passing option.

Enrique's a lot quicker than I thought he was I must admit. I have noticed he struggles from a standing start at times though, i.e. he's not quick off the mark. Once he's moving he's pretty pacy. Big lad as well so he's difficult to get round once he's into his running.

Enrique's a lot quicker than I thought he was I must admit. I have noticed he struggles from a standing start at times though, i.e. he's not quick off the mark. Once he's moving he's pretty pacy. Big lad as well so he's difficult to get round once he's into his running.

Spot on, can be a little slow to get started. Once he does you'll pretty much never see anyone go by him as he also uses his body well.

I think he just saw that Geremi was ineffectual on the right and Guthrie was on the left.

By switching them you'd probably get more out of Guthrie while Geremi would give you as much as he was previously giving you on the other wing, i.e. not a lot. It worked as well.

It's hardly like Hughton's mindset would have been "Enrique is struggling (which he wasn't) so I'll get Geremi to help him out as he has the legs to do it" is it?

Maybe you're right, you make a good point.

Either way, Leicester seemed to do most of their attacking (when they bothered to stop playing long ball) down their right and so it made sense to bring Geremi across.

Don't get me wrong, I really want to like Enrique. I'm not one of those fans that decides they dislike a player and keeps the same mindset forevermore. Let's hope he proves me wrong.

I thought he did well from a defensive point of view tbh. I thought he was very comfortable after getting beaten once or twice early on. He's not lightning quick like, I can't think of specific moments when he's caught pacy players after giving them a head start like you say Ant. He's got enough defensive nouse to use his pace well along with his upper body strength and size so that he rarely gets into those situations where he is beaten for pace. I think if he was as quick as some people suggest you'd see him beaten the opposition full-back purely for pace when he goes forward but he's not quick enough to do that.

Enrique's seriously one of the fastest players at the club. Their right winger had a bright start to the game, but definitely didn't get by Enrique 3 times in the first 10 minutes. There was one time though where he was beaten (got in behind him). I think Enrique took a while to get into the pace of the game (which could have been costly). After that early spell their winger did bugger all after realising that he wasn't able to outpace Enrique. Enrique did have a poor game by his standards though - his passing was pretty weak overall. In his defense Geremi was completely inneffectual in front of him never moving into space and providing the passing option.

Echo what he said

Enrique got caught at the very begining when their right winger ghosted past guthrie, enrique was stood square on and whilst he is fast, he takes about 6 feet to get upto speed, After that moment on I felt he played defensively very well, rather than hoofing the ball up field, he brings it under control, turned their winger and played the ball on the ground to Geremi (which usually meant the ball came straight back at us)

He certainly didnt see him get done 3 times in the first 10 minutes

Having said all that, he can't cross a ball for shit

Enrique has been the stand out performer so far this season. He's been resolute at the back and productive going forward. N'Guessan(sp?) got past him a couple of times early on, but after that Enrique had him in his pocket. Geremi was switched to change things up a bit. It's really not that important which of your slow right-footed central midfielders you have playing on the left wing, now is it?

he had his worst performace of the season so far, but was till better than Geremi and Raylor imo

To single out a player that you dislike seems alien to me now, but I've seen many other people rail against a lad regardless of their performances. I used to HATE Warren Barton, could never really justify it, grown up a bit though... so now I'm fucking awesome.