José Enrique

Baggio

Luke Edwards

Look guys and girls. Regardless of where Enrique quotes have appeared he wants to go in the summer. Trust me.

what a kick in the balls but it's understandable. the carroll sale was a statement of (lack of) intent by ashley. i wouldn't blame him if he walked. i'd like to see ashley back pardew by signing enough quality players to help persuade enrique to stay but i don't see it happening. if i were enrique, i'd want out too.

Luke Edwards

Look guys and girls. Regardless of where Enrique quotes have appeared he wants to go in the summer. Trust me.

Have a look at that gimp that Luke Edwards is having words with (djrbone). Asking celeb lasses to show him their beavers for his birthday :lol:

Luke Edwards

what a kick in the balls but it's understandable. the carroll sale was a statement of (lack of) intent by ashley. i wouldn't blame him if he walked. i'd like to see ashley back pardew by signing enough quality players to help persuade enrique to stay but i don't see it happening. if i were enrique, i'd want out too.

If he or his agent's been tapped by someone further up the tree, I would reckon we're screwed anyway, unfortunately.

The Carroll sale cannot be interpreted as a lack of intent until/if and when the cash is/ain't spent in the summer.

To be honest I'd have questioned Ashley's sanity if he'd not accepted that amount of cash for a player who "could" be great, but equally is one pissed up night out away from the nick. Carroll's potential is a two way street.

While I admit they can't force players' hands and it's a balancing act it's also a bit remiss of the club to allow players to get to a situation where they only have 12 months left on their contract as a lot of your bargaining power is lost. If a decent offer had been made in the previous summer I'm sure we'd have had a lot more chance of convincing Enrique to agree to it. Another one of Ashley's gambles that hasn't paid of by the looks of it.

While I admit they can't force players' hands and it's a balancing act it's also a bit remiss of the club to allow players to get to a situation where they only have 12 months left on their contract as a lot of your bargaining power is lost. If a decent offer had been made in the previous summer I'm sure we'd have had a lot more chance of convincing Enrique to agree to it. Another one of Ashley's gambles that hasn't paid of by the looks of it.

Yet another sad indictment of the modern game, before long it'll be when there's two years left. Players and agents hold all the cards. I fervently hope the Platini regulations actually have some bite, not holding my breath though.

Yet another sad indictment of the modern game, before long it'll be when there's two years left. Players and agents hold all the cards. I fervently hope the Platini regulations actually have some bite, not holding my breath though.

I agree but still think the club only has itself to blame on this one. They've also been more than happy to benefit from similar situations with players that have come in (nothing wrong with that but you can't have it both ways).

Edited by alex

I wouldn't be so quick to have a go at the club for this one. I'd be surprised if they hadn't at least mentioned a new contract to Enrique. He could well have turned them down. Given the long-term contracts currently being handed out I think it's clear that the club don't want players being able to walk away for free.

I agree but still think the club only has itself to blame on this one. They've also been more than happy to benefit from similar situations with players that have come in (nothing wrong with that but you can't have it both ways).

Aye but isn't he one of them on a high wedge already, if so, we obviously had to make sure we're not doing the yo-yo before another offer could come forward and 12 months + to go should be OK as a time to talk, in those circumstances.

Edited by Toonpack

Aye but isn't he one of them on a high wedge already, if so, we obviously had to make sure we're not doing the yo-yo before another offer could come forward and 12 months + to go should be OK as a time to talk, in those circumstances.

easy way around that - an improved long term contract with a clause that let's him speak to other clubs in the event ofrelegation. Arse covered in other words.

The summer is the key, if (big if, I accept) we spend the Carrol cash and even then Enrique won't sign a new deal, with one year left, he has to be sold, sad but true.

just like the good old days. Still, its all "business".

The good old days didn't have Bosman, it's called common sense :lol:

same rules for everybody. Run the club like Netto, and your best players want to go because they see it for what it is.

Just like your good old days.

There's a fact of life that you need to get your head around. When and if certain clubs come calling you just are not going to be able to hold onto your players.

The summer will be the test, if he gets sold to someone like Villa or Everton THEN you can rightly whinge.

I think selling our top goalscorer to Liverpool for a record fee is a basis to "rightly whinge. Obviously you don't - but tell me when this last happened rather than the other way round when we ourselves bought the best players from other premiership clubs, something which the vast majority of people came to expect and something which someone your age should understand better - assuming you really did support the club in the 70's and 80's as you claim.

First bold bit -then if you think £35m for Carrol should not be taken then you are a fool, not to mention the fact that Liverpool are still seen as a "monster" club, wrongly IMO but that's life. Not having a plan B was whinge-able but the sell decision, at that price, was a no brainer.

When did that happen, when we bought the top 4-6th placed (you know the teams I mean) best players ???

you're a fool if you think you should sell your best players. You're also a fool if you think that Liverpool should be buying our best players. Liverpool were the most successful club for a lot of years, but selling them [no to mention the likes of Spurs and Villa] our best players for career and monetary reasons ? The last owners bridged that particular gap, and you're an even bigger fool if you can't accept that.

You're also a fool - again - if you think we will see anywhere near that money invested in quality footballers as happened with the sale of Andy Cole as the managers decision

I see you are completely avoiding the topic - every time - of supporting the club prior to 1992 ? They attracted you didn't they, now you criticise for not winning the title ? What "sheer" hypocrisy.....which answers your last point perfectly.

Don't be stupid, you can't compare the club then (70/80's) to now, or the way players are handled, bosman changed everything. Oh and stick your attracted by 92 crap, I watched Alan Foggon and Micky Burns and Graham Oates and Glen Keeley and George Riley etc etc etc

The only period when I didn't consistently go was when Keegan was a player here strangely enough, due to other priorities.

I don't think you should sell your best players BUT I accept it as a fact of life in the modern game when those considered the established "big-boys" come knocking and turn a players head, or someone offers you a stupid amount of money, you're screwed. Everyone has their price and there is a pecking order and we ain't in that top tier (and sadly never really have been established there).

Do you think for a minute the former owners would have turned down £35m for Carrol, really ??

As for the reinvestment (or not) we won't know until the summer will we :razz: (I accept FFS would likely have spent it - well what Barclays would have allowed him to)

What you really need to accept is that the Keegan "glory years" were our blip, we had our Shankly moment and we screwed it up, we won nowt, and let it all slip away and it's a LONG road back.

Fact: the previous owners did not ie DID NOT - sell our best players for monetary reasons or create a club whereby our best players wanted to leave to further their careers or for monetary reasons. You can dispute this all you like and make up anything you like or spin it any way you like, but this is the facts.

We will NOT re-invest the 35m quid in quality footballers, read that carefully, we will not reinvest that 35m quid in quality footballers with the intention to improve the team overall from the one that Carroll played in . Understand ?

I'm afraid the statement "we won nowt", true as it may be, only highlights your complete fickleness and lack of appreciation of the fact that at least we had a go, a good go, and came within 90 minutes of landing the league or the FA Cup on 4 occasions, and played in europe more than any club bar 4 in the 15 years they owned it. You show me any other owners of NUFC who have did this, which makes the Halls and Shepherd the best owners we have had at this club by a million miles and Mike Ashley is positive proof that it may take a long long time to find someone else who understands the club like they did and matches it . What a shame that people failed to appreciate and can still only look back now and criticise.

That is all my point is, and what is always has been. Appreciate what happened, and accept they were good, because you might never, never see it again in your lifetime. What I really don't get my head around is people who say they were around before 1992 and failed to appreciate it and took it for granted in the end. Fools, all of them, especially when they can't admit they got it massively wrong.

Luke Edwards

If he or his agent's been tapped by someone further up the tree, I would reckon we're screwed anyway, unfortunately.

The Carroll sale cannot be interpreted as a lack of intent until/if and when the cash is/ain't spent in the summer.

To be honest I'd have questioned Ashley's sanity if he'd not accepted that amount of cash for a player who "could" be great, but equally is one pissed up night out away from the nick. Carroll's potential is a two way street.

Winners take gambles, losers sell their best players to the gamblers.

Think much depends on how we finish the season - if we finish strongly - perhaps 8th or better, he might not want to go.

He wouldn't be guaranteed a regular starting place with ManU, Arsenal or Chelsea. Liverpool, according to JJ Henry, have to balance the books and sell before they buy, and I can't imagine him being sold for less than 15M. Man City could be the danger. Not sure how solvent Spurs are at the moment, but the tax dodger is adept at spending money that he does not have.

I suspect that Jose feels that his international ambitions are not going to be fulfilled with us, but IF we demonstrate our ambition by bringing in some good players in the summer, it just might persuade him to stay.

I do think that he loves the club and the area, but no doubt there will be an agent's sticky fingers itching to get hold of their share of the transfer fee.

Re: Tiote, I think we can afford to turn down any offers for him. We've only had him a year, keeping him for another one and he'd command the same price next summer providing he doesn't go shit and he wanted to go.

:razz::lol:

Yep. When we got promoted last time we decided we were going to go for it rather than piss about with Everton/Villa style 'plans' which never work.

precisely.

"Villa style plans"? They have spent a fortune - about 80M net from memory, and got nowhere.

Yep. When we got promoted last time we decided we were going to go for it rather than piss about with Everton/Villa style 'plans' which never work.

precisely.

"Villa style plans"? They have spent a fortune - about 80M net from memory, and got nowhere.

they gave their manager a long term contract and supposedly their owner was "shrewd", and their manager was "smart" etc....something like that ie they had a foolproof "plan" which we "never" did under the Halls and Shepherd, what a shame Villa got nowhere near the same heights despite having this "plan".

No quibbles with backing their manager in essence, its just a shame he didn't spend it very well, which only goes to prove a point ie hindsight is easy/we aren't the only club not to appoint the new Alex Ferguson/Martin O'Neill is overrated and quit a club again.

Edited by LeazesMag

precisely.

they gave their manager a long term contract and supposedly their owner was "shrewd", and their manager was "smart" etc....something like that ie they had a foolproof "plan" which we "never" did under the Halls and Shepherd, what a shame Villa got nowhere near the same heights despite having this "plan".

No quibbles with backing their manager in essence, its just a shame he didn't spend it very well, which only goes to prove a point ie hindsight is easy/we aren't the only club not to appoint the new Alex Ferguson/Martin O'Neill is overrated and quit a club again.

Mostly agree - but at the end of the Shepherd planless regime weren't we in much the same situation as Villa are currently with their planned regime? Only difference being that Shepherd spent club's money, and future sponsorship money, while Randy Lerner appears to be spending his own. Could be worong, mind.

If I may put in my two cents worth - everyone keeps saying that Carroll for 35 million is a no brainer but youve got to remember that Carroll wasnt the only thing we sold for that 35 million, we sold parts of our culture, our name and our reputation. Selling him sends the message out to other players (those playing for us and those in other teams) that we're not aiming high. If we hadnt sold Carroll maybe Enrique would never have said i 'aspire to more' (if he did say tht). He must be thinking if a player born and bred on Tyneside, doesnt want to stay here, why should he.

The point is, selling Carroll sends out a negative message. So technically for 35 million, we may have lost Enrique, Tiote, Carroll, A chance to play in europe maybe?

I think we should stop debating this topic until next Season, when we will have a better idea about Enrique, Tiote and what Ashley does with this 35 million.

Edited by harrynufc

I'm afraid the statement "we won nowt", true as it may be, only highlights your complete fickleness and lack of appreciation of the fact that at least we had a go, a good go, and came within 90 minutes of landing the league or the FA Cup on 4 occasions, and played in europe more than any club bar 4 in the 15 years they owned it. You show me any other owners of NUFC who have did this, which makes the Halls and Shepherd the best owners we have had at this club by a million miles and Mike Ashley is positive proof that it may take a long long time to find someone else who understands the club like they did and matches it . What a shame that people failed to appreciate and can still only look back now and criticise.

OF course I appreciated it you stupid cunt. BUT WE DID NOT CAPITALISE ON IT, and so are now back in the "second tier" (which is better than what we've been before), there is no magic wand to get back. The failure to maintain Champions league football is what killed us and THAT happened on FFS's watch.

I agree the Halls and Shepherd WERE the best owners we had EVER, but the slip had started because we tried and we fucking failed, the slip became a landslide which thankfully has stopped and we're on the way back.

Even Liver-fucking-pool have to balance their transfer activity, If Chelsea don't move for Torres, Carroll is still a Newcastle player. But at £35 million I'd snap anyone's hand off for the twat (and he is a grade A twat). You cannot say with certainty the money wont be reinvested, same as I can't say it will.

The summer will tell.

The only way I can see your vision of progress happening is for us to find a rich arab under a rock who wants to throw money away, and THAT just isnt going to happen.

I feel heartily sorry for my two lads to be honest, they've grown up thinking NUFC is the KK/SJH/FFS at the peak version as a right (as you seem to), sadly it's not and never has been, we had our best ever shot at it and we failed, the landscape's changed now and getting back, unless these rule changes bite and our club size actually would have an effect, isn't going to happen, get used to it.

OF course I appreciated it you stupid cunt. BUT WE DID NOT CAPITALISE ON IT, and so are now back in the "second tier" (which is better than what we've been before), there is no magic wand to get back. The failure to maintain Champions league football is what killed us and THAT happened on FFS's watch.

I agree the Halls and Shepherd WERE the best owners we had EVER, but the slip had started because we tried and we fucking failed, the slip became a landslide which thankfully has stopped and we're on the way back.

Even Liver-fucking-pool have to balance their transfer activity, If Chelsea don't move for Torres, Carroll is still a Newcastle player. But at £35 million I'd snap anyone's hand off for the twat (and he is a grade A twat). You cannot say with certainty the money wont be reinvested, same as I can't say it will.

The summer will tell.

The only way I can see your vision of progress happening is for us to find a rich arab under a rock who wants to throw money away, and THAT just isnt going to happen.

I feel heartily sorry for my two lads to be honest, they've grown up thinking NUFC is the KK/SJH/FFS at the peak version as a right (as you seem to), sadly it's not and never has been, we had our best ever shot at it and we failed, the landscape's changed now and getting back, unless these rule changes bite and our club size actually would have an effect, isn't going to happen, get used to it.

Absolutely spot on post that. Pretty much on the money.

If I may put in my two cents worth - everyone keeps saying that Carroll for 35 million is a no brainer but youve got to remember that Carroll wasnt the only thing we sold for that 35 million, we sold parts of our culture, our name and our reputation. Selling him sends the message out to other players (those playing for us and those in other teams) that we're not aiming high. If we hadnt sold Carroll maybe Enrique would never have said i 'aspire to more' (if he did say tht). He must be thinking if a player born and bred on Tyneside, doesnt want to stay here, why should he.

The point is, selling Carroll sends out a negative message. So technically for 35 million, we may have lost Enrique, Tiote, Carroll, A chance to play in europe maybe?

I think we should stop debating this topic until next Season, when we will have a better idea about Enrique, Tiote and what Ashley does with this 35 million.

I heartily agree with the bolded bit and I would agree with all your post if we'd sold him for £15-20 million.

Irrespective of Carroll staying or going, if one of the Champions league teams comes in for any of our players (or any player from ANY team not in the champs league) I'd be very surprised if we could hang onto them (even if we really really wanted to).

Guest Your Name Here
ambition by bringing in some good players in the summer, it just might persuade him to stay.

I do think that he loves the club and the area, but no doubt there will be an agent's sticky fingers itching to get hold of their share of the transfer fee.

He may well like them, but for all its good points the NE isn’t a good place for millionaires to go shopping. It must be a bit like having £1000 to spend in Wilkos.

Edited by Your Name Here

no doubt there will be an agent's sticky fingers itching to get hold of their share of the transfer fee.

And therein lies the problem, footballers are greedy bastards looked after by greedier bastards. Even Man U and Citeh weren't immune to it even with all their success/ambition with Rooney and Tevez.

Edited by Toonpack