José Enrique

Baggio

The summer is the key, if (big if, I accept) we spend the Carrol cash and even then Enrique won't sign a new deal, with one year left, he has to be sold, sad but true.

just like the good old days. Still, its all "business".

The good old days didn't have Bosman, it's called common sense :lol:

same rules for everybody. Run the club like Netto, and your best players want to go because they see it for what it is.

Just like your good old days.

There's a fact of life that you need to get your head around. When and if certain clubs come calling you just are not going to be able to hold onto your players.

The summer will be the test, if he gets sold to someone like Villa or Everton THEN you can rightly whinge.

I think selling our top goalscorer to Liverpool for a record fee is a basis to "rightly whinge. Obviously you don't - but tell me when this last happened rather than the other way round when we ourselves bought the best players from other premiership clubs, something which the vast majority of people came to expect and something which someone your age should understand better - assuming you really did support the club in the 70's and 80's as you claim.

First bold bit -then if you think £35m for Carrol should not be taken then you are a fool, not to mention the fact that Liverpool are still seen as a "monster" club, wrongly IMO but that's life. Not having a plan B was whinge-able but the sell decision, at that price, was a no brainer.

When did that happen, when we bought the top 4-6th placed (you know the teams I mean) best players ???

you're a fool if you think you should sell your best players. You're also a fool if you think that Liverpool should be buying our best players. Liverpool were the most successful club for a lot of years, but selling them [no to mention the likes of Spurs and Villa] our best players for career and monetary reasons ? The last owners bridged that particular gap, and you're an even bigger fool if you can't accept that.

You're also a fool - again - if you think we will see anywhere near that money invested in quality footballers as happened with the sale of Andy Cole as the managers decision

I see you are completely avoiding the topic - every time - of supporting the club prior to 1992 ? They attracted you didn't they, now you criticise for not winning the title ? What "sheer" hypocrisy.....which answers your last point perfectly.

Don't be stupid, you can't compare the club then (70/80's) to now, or the way players are handled, bosman changed everything. Oh and stick your attracted by 92 crap, I watched Alan Foggon and Micky Burns and Graham Oates and Glen Keeley and George Riley etc etc etc

The only period when I didn't consistently go was when Keegan was a player here strangely enough, due to other priorities.

I don't think you should sell your best players BUT I accept it as a fact of life in the modern game when those considered the established "big-boys" come knocking and turn a players head, or someone offers you a stupid amount of money, you're screwed. Everyone has their price and there is a pecking order and we ain't in that top tier (and sadly never really have been established there).

Do you think for a minute the former owners would have turned down £35m for Carrol, really ??

As for the reinvestment (or not) we won't know until the summer will we :razz: (I accept FFS would likely have spent it - well what Barclays would have allowed him to)

What you really need to accept is that the Keegan "glory years" were our blip, we had our Shankly moment and we screwed it up, we won nowt, and let it all slip away and it's a LONG road back.

Fact: the previous owners did not ie DID NOT - sell our best players for monetary reasons or create a club whereby our best players wanted to leave to further their careers or for monetary reasons. You can dispute this all you like and make up anything you like or spin it any way you like, but this is the facts.

We will NOT re-invest the 35m quid in quality footballers, read that carefully, we will not reinvest that 35m quid in quality footballers with the intention to improve the team overall from the one that Carroll played in . Understand ?

I'm afraid the statement "we won nowt", true as it may be, only highlights your complete fickleness and lack of appreciation of the fact that at least we had a go, a good go, and came within 90 minutes of landing the league or the FA Cup on 4 occasions, and played in europe more than any club bar 4 in the 15 years they owned it. You show me any other owners of NUFC who have did this, which makes the Halls and Shepherd the best owners we have had at this club by a million miles and Mike Ashley is positive proof that it may take a long long time to find someone else who understands the club like they did and matches it . What a shame that people failed to appreciate and can still only look back now and criticise.

That is all my point is, and what is always has been. Appreciate what happened, and accept they were good, because you might never, never see it again in your lifetime. What I really don't get my head around is people who say they were around before 1992 and failed to appreciate it and took it for granted in the end. Fools, all of them, especially when they can't admit they got it massively wrong.

Spot on, under the Halls and Shepherds we were one of the big boys, we were a buying club, we didnt sell our best players and most of all we had ambition.

Ashley has thrown that legacy away

Clubs like Villa and Wolves are now showing far more ambition than us - we will be overtaken and left behind by clubs much smaller than us but with far more ambition

The novelty of year on year survival in the premier league will soon wear off - thats the most we ever achieve under Ashley - its shameful for a club with the potential of Newcastle and yet unbelievably some people still try and defend him and compare him favourably with the previous owners

The summer is the key, if (big if, I accept) we spend the Carrol cash and even then Enrique won't sign a new deal, with one year left, he has to be sold, sad but true.

same rules for everybody. Run the club like Netto, and your best players want to go because they see it for what it is.

There's a fact of life that you need to get your head around. When and if certain clubs come calling you just are not going to be able to hold onto your players.

The summer will be the test, if he gets sold to someone like Villa or Everton THEN you can rightly whinge.

I think selling our top goalscorer to Liverpool for a record fee is a basis to "rightly whinge. Obviously you don't - but tell me when this last happened rather than the other way round when we ourselves bought the best players from other premiership clubs, something which the vast majority of people came to expect and something which someone your age should understand better - assuming you really did support the club in the 70's and 80's as you claim.

First bold bit -then if you think £35m for Carrol should not be taken then you are a fool, not to mention the fact that Liverpool are still seen as a "monster" club, wrongly IMO but that's life. Not having a plan B was whinge-able but the sell decision, at that price, was a no brainer.

When did that happen, when we bought the top 4-6th placed (you know the teams I mean) best players ???

you're a fool if you think you should sell your best players. You're also a fool if you think that Liverpool should be buying our best players. Liverpool were the most successful club for a lot of years, but selling them [no to mention the likes of Spurs and Villa] our best players for career and monetary reasons ? The last owners bridged that particular gap, and you're an even bigger fool if you can't accept that.

You're also a fool - again - if you think we will see anywhere near that money invested in quality footballers as happened with the sale of Andy Cole as the managers decision

I see you are completely avoiding the topic - every time - of supporting the club prior to 1992 ? They attracted you didn't they, now you criticise for not winning the title ? What "sheer" hypocrisy.....which answers your last point perfectly.

Don't be stupid, you can't compare the club then (70/80's) to now, or the way players are handled, bosman changed everything. Oh and stick your attracted by 92 crap, I watched Alan Foggon and Micky Burns and Graham Oates and Glen Keeley and George Riley etc etc etc

The only period when I didn't consistently go was when Keegan was a player here strangely enough, due to other priorities.

I don't think you should sell your best players BUT I accept it as a fact of life in the modern game when those considered the established "big-boys" come knocking and turn a players head, or someone offers you a stupid amount of money, you're screwed. Everyone has their price and there is a pecking order and we ain't in that top tier (and sadly never really have been established there).

Do you think for a minute the former owners would have turned down £35m for Carrol, really ??

As for the reinvestment (or not) we won't know until the summer will we :razz: (I accept FFS would likely have spent it - well what Barclays would have allowed him to)

What you really need to accept is that the Keegan "glory years" were our blip, we had our Shankly moment and we screwed it up, we won nowt, and let it all slip away and it's a LONG road back.

Fact: the previous owners did not ie DID NOT - sell our best players for monetary reasons or create a club whereby our best players wanted to leave to further their careers or for monetary reasons. You can dispute this all you like and make up anything you like or spin it any way you like, but this is the facts.

We will NOT re-invest the 35m quid in quality footballers, read that carefully, we will not reinvest that 35m quid in quality footballers with the intention to improve the team overall from the one that Carroll played in . Understand ?

I'm afraid the statement "we won nowt", true as it may be, only highlights your complete fickleness and lack of appreciation of the fact that at least we had a go, a good go, and came within 90 minutes of landing the league or the FA Cup on 4 occasions, and played in europe more than any club bar 4 in the 15 years they owned it. You show me any other owners of NUFC who have did this, which makes the Halls and Shepherd the best owners we have had at this club by a million miles and Mike Ashley is positive proof that it may take a long long time to find someone else who understands the club like they did and matches it . What a shame that people failed to appreciate and can still only look back now and criticise.

That is all my point is, and what is always has been. Appreciate what happened, and accept they were good, because you might never, never see it again in your lifetime. What I really don't get my head around is people who say they were around before 1992 and failed to appreciate it and took it for granted in the end. Fools, all of them, especially when they can't admit they got it massively wrong.

Spot on, under the Halls and Shepherds we were one of the big boys, we were a buying club, we didnt sell our best players and most of all we had ambition.

Clubs like Villa and Wolves are now showing far more ambition than us - we will be overtaken and left behind by clubs much smaller than us but with far more ambition

The novelty of year on year survival in the premier league will soon wear off - thats the most we ever achieve under Ashley - its shameful for a club with the potential of Newcastle and yet unbelievably some people still try and defend him and compare him favourably with the previous owners

Oh I'm sorry, I forgot we were in the champions league when SJH sold up, I take it all back and here's our world beating, last first eleven, of the FFS reign

Given

Solano

Ramage

Taylor

Carr

Milner

Butt

Dyer

Pattison

Owen

Ameobi

Edited by Toonpack

OF course I appreciated it you stupid cunt. BUT WE DID NOT CAPITALISE ON IT, and so are now back in the "second tier" (which is better than what we've been before), there is no magic wand to get back. The failure to maintain Champions league football is what killed us and THAT happened on FFS's watch.

rubbish. We had 15 years you stupid cunt. Are you - like that other numpty skidders - going to start blaming the Halls and Shepherd [FFS was never the owner, you keep saying this like others] for Mike Ashleys lack of "good planning". We were relegated under Ashley. When he bought the club, we were 14th in footballs rich list and maximising revenue very well. What has he done to that ?

I agree the Halls and Shepherd WERE the best owners we had EVER, but the slip had started because we tried and we fucking failed, the slip became a landslide which thankfully has stopped and we're on the way back.

Even Liver-fucking-pool have to balance their transfer activity, If Chelsea don't move for Torres, Carroll is still a Newcastle player. But at £35 million I'd snap anyone's hand off for the twat (and he is a grade A twat). You cannot say with certainty the money wont be reinvested, same as I can't say it will.

The summer will tell.

I CAN say it won't be re-invested to attempt to create a better team, just like I said early in Mike Ashleys regime what he was going to do to the club too. People [prob including you] said I was talking bollocks then, i was right then and time will prove me right again.

The only way I can see your vision of progress happening is for us to find a rich arab under a rock who wants to throw money away, and THAT just isnt going to happen.

I feel heartily sorry for my two lads to be honest, they've grown up thinking NUFC is the KK/SJH/FFS at the peak version as a right (as you seem to), sadly it's not and never has been, we had our best ever shot at it and we failed, the landscape's changed now and getting back, unless these rule changes bite and our club size actually would have an effect, isn't going to happen, get used to it.

actually, you have this the wrong way round. It's those who slate the Halls and Shepherd, who thought showing ambition was a right, hence they took it for granted thinking anybody else who bought the club would do exactly the same. My opinion is that we should not be settling for looking up to clubs such as Liverpool, you should try to differentiate between "big club" and "successful club". Underestimate the potential of NUFC if you wish.

OF course I appreciated it you stupid cunt. BUT WE DID NOT CAPITALISE ON IT, and so are now back in the "second tier" (which is better than what we've been before), there is no magic wand to get back. The failure to maintain Champions league football is what killed us and THAT happened on FFS's watch.

rubbish. We had 15 years you stupid cunt. Are you - like that other numpty skidders - going to start blaming the Halls and Shepherd [FFS was never the owner, you keep saying this like others] for Mike Ashleys lack of "good planning". We were relegated under Ashley. When he bought the club, we were 14th in footballs rich list and maximising revenue very well. What has he done to that ?

I agree the Halls and Shepherd WERE the best owners we had EVER, but the slip had started because we tried and we fucking failed, the slip became a landslide which thankfully has stopped and we're on the way back.

Even Liver-fucking-pool have to balance their transfer activity, If Chelsea don't move for Torres, Carroll is still a Newcastle player. But at £35 million I'd snap anyone's hand off for the twat (and he is a grade A twat). You cannot say with certainty the money wont be reinvested, same as I can't say it will.

The summer will tell.

I CAN say it won't be re-invested to attempt to create a better team, just like I said early in Mike Ashleys regime what he was going to do to the club too. People [prob including you] said I was talking bollocks then, i was right then and time will prove me right again.

The only way I can see your vision of progress happening is for us to find a rich arab under a rock who wants to throw money away, and THAT just isnt going to happen.

I feel heartily sorry for my two lads to be honest, they've grown up thinking NUFC is the KK/SJH/FFS at the peak version as a right (as you seem to), sadly it's not and never has been, we had our best ever shot at it and we failed, the landscape's changed now and getting back, unless these rule changes bite and our club size actually would have an effect, isn't going to happen, get used to it.

actually, you have this the wrong way round. It's those who slate the Halls and Shepherd, who thought showing ambition was a right, hence they took it for granted thinking anybody else who bought the club would do exactly the same. My opinion is that we should not be settling for looking up to clubs such as Liverpool, you should try to differentiate between "big club" and "successful club". Underestimate the potential of NUFC if you wish.

I give up, I really do :lol:

The summer will tell.

I give up, I really do :razz:

you know you have no response, other than to blame FFS for the weather [despite the fact he was NEVER the clubs owner :lol: ]

Oh I'm sorry, I forgot we were in the champions league when SJH sold up, I take it all back and here's our world beating, last first eleven, of the FFS reign

Given

Solano

Ramage

Taylor

Carr

Milner

Butt

Dyer

Pattison

Owen

Ameobi

Remind us when Sir John Hall sold Freddie Shepherd his shares giving him complete control ?

Also remind us who it was that appointed Kevin Keegan as manager and told Sir John Hall when it was all but done and dusted ?

Or continue to change the facts to suit yourself........

Guest Your Name Here

Given

Solano

Ramage

Taylor

Carr

Milner

Butt

Dyer

Pattison

Owen

Ameobi

The problem with this is your confusing the fallout from appointing Souness (which I’m sure LM would agree was a bad decision) with an overall long term strategy.

LM isn’t saying the last regime were perfect. He‘s saying their overall strategy was sound. Not faultless but right up until they handed Souness £50m it reaped huge rewards without compromising the club’s financial stability. Now letting Souness piss £50m on a load of crap players was a big mistake but pointing at what happened after that and writing off a strategy that clearly worked for NUFC is plain ignorant.

One mistake didn’t undo all the progress we made under SJH/FF. It was a set back that required a short term rethink of the club’s finances. We just needed to steady the ship for a season or two and then get back to being a club that had ambition. Ashley has ripped up a blueprint that worked and replaced it with one that looks increasing like delivering nothing but a steady decline in the club’s status. Brilliant.

Apologies to LM if I’ve misrepresented his views.

Edited by Your Name Here

Depending on the offer (sub 10m) we should keep hold of him until his contract ends which is two and a half seasons away still. Well more than 10m of value in us by having him around, makes a massive difference.

I know that's not the way it will be seen though. I've been saying for ages that they should be offering him a new contract, but as it is the club are more interested in the bottom line than retaining our best and brightest.

Given

Solano

Ramage

Taylor

Carr

Milner

Butt

Dyer

Pattison

Owen

Ameobi

The problem with this is your confusing the fallout from appointing Souness (which I’m sure LM would agree was a bad decision) with an overall long term strategy.

LM isn’t saying the last regime were perfect. He‘s saying their overall strategy was sound. Not faultless but right up until they handed Souness £50m it reaped huge rewards without compromising the club’s financial stability. Now letting Souness piss £50m on a load of crap players was a big mistake but pointing at what happened after that and writing off a strategy that clearly worked for NUFC is plain ignorant.

One mistake didn’t undo all the progress we made under SJH/FF. It was a set back that required a short term rethink of the club’s finances. We just needed to steady the ship for a season or two and then get back to being a club that had ambition. Ashley has ripped up a blueprint that worked and replaced it with one that looks increasing like delivering nothing but a steady decline in the club’s status. Brilliant.

Yup, yup, thrice yup

Given

Solano

Ramage

Taylor

Carr

Milner

Butt

Dyer

Pattison

Owen

Ameobi

Yup, yup, thrice yup

50mill and operating at a loss = short term rethink? :lol:

Decline? Higher in the league than when he bought the club = incline. The decline was short term.

Rose tinted.

Guest Your Name Here

Given

Solano

Ramage

Taylor

Carr

Milner

Butt

Dyer

Pattison

Owen

Ameobi

Yup, yup, thrice yup

Decline? Higher in the league than when he bought the club = incline. The decline was short term.

Rose tinted.

Aye, NUFC is really going places now. Perhaps you should tell Jose before he fucks off under the misconception we’ve turned into a cheapskate club with zero ambition.

Given

Solano

Ramage

Taylor

Carr

Milner

Butt

Dyer

Pattison

Owen

Ameobi

Yup, yup, thrice yup

Rose tinted.

Aye, NUFC is really going places now. Perhaps you should tell Jose before he fucks off under the misconception we’ve turned into a cheapskate club with zero ambition.

Whenever bigger clubs were interested in players in the past they went too. Like hamann and woodgate. It didn't happen as often because our squad had a bad reputation, and we signed a lot of declining players and flops. How many genuinely top class players had illustrious careers here barring shearer ?

Btw his reason for wanting out is wanting CL football. Who was responsible for us dropping out of the champions league? Do you think there was a quick fix to that with the players we had on our books?

Btw his reason for wanting out is wanting CL football. Who was responsible for us dropping out of the champions league? Do you think there was a quick fix to that with the players we had on our books?

Whose reason? Enrique's? You believe that quote was real?

I'm sceptical personally, but taking it at face value in order to respond the the nonsensical gibberish being spouted.

I wonder how a dis-passionate manager, keen to improve the overall squad views Enrique.

While he may appreciate a good player, how much emphasis would he weigh against having a very good left back as opposed to a decent left back and 15 million to add to his 35 million transfer war chest.

How important is one position over another. For instance I would be far more devastated to lose Barton, Ben Arfa or Tiote than I would Enrique. Where does the importance of a left back come in the pecking order of the team?

Surely its way down the bottom along with the right back position.

Im not by any means trying to justify the sale of Enrique as I would rather keep him. (even on the wane), Im just trying to get inside a managers head rather than a fans and consider how they would examine it.

http://www.marca.com/2011/02/17/futbol/fut...1297928544.html

http://www.marca.com/2011/02/17/futbol/fut...1297928544.html

I'll give it a go:

Jose Enrique: "Liverpool? I'm happy here but I'm not ruling anything out." The Newcastle defender talks to MARCA about his future. He displays ambition and wants to continue growing as a footballer. He says, "I want to tell my children, when I have them, that their father played in the Champions League and had played for the national team."

Jose Enrique is ambitious. The Spanish left-back has been one of the most ever-present (in terms of minutes on the pitch) defenders in the Premier League and his excellent performances have ignited interest from clubs such as Manchester United, Liverpool and Aston Villa. He tells us that he's very settled at Newcastle but aspires to more.

Q: How would you describe Newcastle's season?

JE: The Premier League is very open this season and it's difficult to establish yourself in the top tier (of the league. He means in the top half.) We've won several important games and at the moment we're ninth. That's a good position, and the next two games are at St James's Park. With three more games [wins] we will be safe from relegation, which is our primary objective.

Q: Do you think your squad is good enough to qualify for the Europa League?

JE: Who knows, but it's very difficult. That used to be the main objective, but the reality has changed. Today, as things are now, it's very difficult to qualify for the Europa League. The squad is very thin, considering the players who have left.

Q: Do you think the transfer of Andy Carroll to Liverpool will have a major effect?

JE: Yes, but not only for Carroll. He was a great forward for us, he won all the aerial balls and was an important player for Newcastle. But other players have left too and our squad is thin. We have players who are making their debuts in the Premier League this year, and we also have positions for which there is no cover. We all know how thin our squad is, and we want to be up with the 'top' teams...but if there's some injury to a key player, we're going to have problems. They've promised me that all the money from the sale of Carroll will go to signing new players. I hope that's the case.

Q: Speaking of Liverpool, the 'Reds' are looking at you for next season...

JE: I've read in English publications that Liverpool, Manchester United, and Aston Villa want to sign me and that's an honour. Those are great English teams. I'm happy here at Newcastle but I'm not ruling anything out. I love the Newcastle fans and the city [of Newcastle]. I've suffered with this team, we were relegated two years ago and we have to be realistic. Newcastle [the club] also haven't acted rightly, they've made promises that they haven't kept and I have ambitions. I want to play in the Champions League, important competitions and I want to play for the national team.

Q: You've got 16 months left on your contract. Is your intention to stay at Newcastle?

JE: I've always said that I'm comfortable here with this club. It's true that they've promised me things and not followed through. Like any player, I want to win titles [trophies] and I don't want the objective to be safety from relegation. I want to tell my future children that I've played in the Champions League or for the Spanish national team. I'm ambitious and I'm not ruling anything out.

Q: Bit by bit you've been knocking at the door of the national team. Do you think you're capable of making the jump to playing for Spain?

JE: I believe [this could be "I hope"] that I can play for the full national side. I work hard so that I can have that opportunity one day. I want to be ready to succeed with 'the Reds.' [spanish national team, not Liverpool] At the moment it's complicated because we're waiting on the World Cup group [i think he means qualification group here.] That's how it is. But I'm always preparing to make the jump and my performances have been good. I'm one of those people who thinks that with hard work, anything is possible.