José Enrique

Baggio

i personally cant see us keeping him ashley will force him out so he can spend less on bringing cheap players in so he can keep most of the money he makes to himself

So the bottom line is this. You can fret about relegation, cling to the past (near) glory of the Keegan era or simply just accept that we are where we are and that doesn't mean we cant move forward and doesn't stop supporting Newcastle being an enjoyable pass time.

Got to say that didnt appear to be the case yesterday when I spent £41 watching an undermotivated (just what did Pardew say to them at half time? they came out like a bunch of fuckin zombies) side with a near league one strike force labour against a team we shouldve been capable of beating. It struck me yesterday that with the addition of Nolan and Ben Arfa and the frees,has beens and never weres that will roll up this summer that struggling to beat a bog standard Villa is the shape of things to come and can be in no way,shape or form be decribed as "moving forward".

Selling Carroll (and likley Enrique) is a green light to every player's agent to start whispering bullshit into the ears of easily manipulated players, in the full knowlegde that Ashley doesnt give a flying fuck about the squad we may be left with.

Doesn't matter what Ashley does we'll all still be hanging on every game next season.

Last season was enjoyable, this season has being quite enjoyable and Im pretty sure next season will be similar to this.

Are we going to be challenging for the top four any time soon? No.

Did anyone think we would be? No.

Im expecting the summer to see Enrique go and hopefully Barton stay, (although I think he'll get some great offers to go).

I expect us to sign some decent players, who may not be CL quality, but will still be better than what we have (Best / Shola) as well as some cheaper gambles from the continent and lower leagues to bulk up the squad.

I expect us to start next season with a better squad than today and hopefully a very decent first 11 that will be capable of challenging for Europe or a good cup run.

A first 11 that contains Colochini, Simpson, Tiote, Nolan, Barton, Ben Arfa will still be an exciting team, particularly if the additions are decent. (And not forgetting the possibility of Gosling and Ireland coming good).

We are lead to believe that we will be making a profit this season and next, which can only be good news all round.

We will be in a better position that a lot of the teams around us so the outlook imo is not bleak.

A few decent seasons with steady improvement and we may well become a regular top 6 side. To expect much better is deluded given the money splashing about the top four.

So the bottom line is this. You can fret about relegation, cling to the past (near) glory of the Keegan era or simply just accept that we are where we are and that doesn't mean we cant move forward and doesn't stop supporting Newcastle being an enjoyable pass time.

Can we really achieve a regular top 6 position when the top 4 spend absurd amounts of money, followed up by the likes of Tottenham, Liverpool who are too spending serious money?

Spending on a shoe string will only get you so far and I think the kind of spending we'll be doing might put us top ten but I can't see top 6. Certainly not on a regular basis.

One last chance....until the next last chance

time after time after time we say this is their last chance.

Hes set himself up a bar tab in last chance saloon.

I know what your saying pud and its fair enough he's had far too many chances and fucked most of them up but this time we've seen our best player sold for a huge amount of money. Looks likely another one of our players is leaving for a decent figure....this time he has NO excuse if he doesnt reinvest with quality.

This really is last chance saloon.

and what?

we cant even organise a good anti-Ashley chant now hes fucked off the singing section.

The only thing that will change is some of the remaining optimists (such as yourself) will realise what he is, 2 weeks later he'll buy someone a pint or Dekka will come out with some bollocks about pushing forward, balance sheet looking better etc and half of you will be back on board.

No. If he fucks up this time then i wont be on board. Im holding out hope that he will do whats right for the club. If he doesnt then il hold my hands up and admit i was wrong to stay positive.

I think that alot of people will blow if things go wrong in the summer.

Personally i think he'll either spend 30mil+ or he'll sell up and fuck off.

on what grounds do you think he will do either of those ?

A canny post CT, I have also just come to accept we're never going to seriously challenge the top 5 ever, unless we get some daft arab oil exporter who fancies us as his toy. It's impossible to break the top 5 without bankrupting yourself, Spurs are apparently in a bit of financial bother already and that's all for what, one Champions League campaign? They still lack a goalscorer too which is another £20m gone chasing something they may not even get. It's just not financially viable.

I personally would love the Premier League to just destroy itself so we can properly regulate and structure English football and give the game back to the common fan, but I guess this is taking things off on a completely different tangent...

Challenging 6th should be the aim of NUFC and SAFC, I think that's possible without spending 100's of million. That and a cup run now and again would do just nicely. <_<

BTW I almost guarantee that the deciding factor for Ashley to let Enrique go was the fact that Shane Ferguson appears to have been accepted and admired by the fans. Rather than us having a capable young prospect to provide decent backup cover with a view to take over in years to come, Ashley's decided to dispense with the idea of developing a squad as well as a team.

Ferguson should be replacing Enrique on merit (like Kelly has by replacing Johnson at Liverpool), not by virtue of a simple fact that the bloke who had the shirt has been sold for profit.

That's rubbish. Enrique refused to enter contract negotiations long before Ferguson stepped in. He wants more than we can offer football wise and its as simple as that.

its actually spot on, and nailed.

It is a viewpoint Ashley has, and has been obvious for so long, its unbelievable there are still people that can't see it.

Stand by for people saying that because we have Ferguson, we will be "fine". What the fuck is "fine" ?

Thats not a slant against Ferguson who has a good left foot and has potential, but the clubs attitude and lack of ambition, which sadly, the younger element took for granted and are now getting an almightly shock.

heh he seems to be taking money from the players though buy selling em

Your a thick cunt arent ya?

That money stays in the club.....

two of a kind here like

A canny post CT, I have also just come to accept we're never going to seriously challenge the top 5 ever, unless we get some daft arab oil exporter who fancies us as his toy. It's impossible to break the top 5 without bankrupting yourself, Spurs are apparently in a bit of financial bother already and that's all for what, one Champions League campaign? They still lack a goalscorer too which is another £20m gone chasing something they may not even get. It's just not financially viable.

I personally would love the Premier League to just destroy itself so we can properly regulate and structure English football and give the game back to the common fan, but I guess this is taking things off on a completely different tangent...

Challenging 6th should be the aim of NUFC and SAFC, I think that's possible without spending 100's of million. That and a cup run now and again would do just nicely. :(

For a mackem thats pretty good post like.

But

Sunderland should not and will not be challenging for the same things as we should be. Your a club not even two thirds our size. Not half as colourful history and nowhere near the same class of fans (on the whole) and lets be honest....sunderlands a bit of a shithole.

We are hardly at opposite ends of the spectrum.

Good history.

Very well supported, H & A.

You probably have a bigger pulling power world wide but with the way your club is ran I know who I'd rather play for.

Our goals should very similar IMO, I'd actually love to see the North East become a great place to play football again, with us constantly finishing top 10.

And yes Sunderland is canny shit, everyone knows. Durham is nice though. :(

But for now I'd just like to see us hobble through this fairly shit season and reshuffle (again) in the Summer.

Challenging 6th should be the aim of NUFC and SAFC, I think that's possible without spending 100's of million. That and a cup run now and again would do just nicely. :(

For a mackem thats pretty good post like.

But

Sunderland should not and will not be challenging for the same things as we should be. Your a club not even two thirds our size. Not half as colourful history and nowhere near the same class of fans (on the whole) and lets be honest....sunderlands a bit of a shithole.

you're showing your ignorance. The mackems are a damn sight bigger club than the likes of Villa, Leeds and one or two others. They have been badly managed for over 50 years, same as us apart from one period where we were not. Not many clubs if any in the world would get the crowds we do after the rubbish we have had for most of the last 50 years, and in the mackems case it is all of the last 50 years.

Both our clubs would fill the stadiums no bother with even the remotest glimpse of a fraction of success the likes of Liverpool etc have enjoyed over the years, or the champions league qualifications and challenges of Spurs and Man City just now, which our own recent history proves conclusively.

Football like all things in life, is what you make of it. The crowd appeal of ourselves and the mackems is bigger than most clubs, its a disgrace that both of us have had the past 50 years that we have had, and I'm a firm believer that any success the mackems would ever have had would have motivated and rubbed off on us too.

We can't offer money or ambition, our only draw-card is now our support. That's all well and good for a while, but you can't blame anyone of sufficient talent for looking for a more ambitious club who will also provide more money (as they are intrinsically linked in the modern game).

Jose Enrique is also much more likely to receive a Spanish call-up if he's playing for a higher profile club that figures in European football. Whilst Liverpool aren't likely to get Champions league football this season (it would be a minor miracle if they did) they are making positive moves in the market so should be a very good chance of finishing in the top 4 next time around. Personally I'd much prefer if he went to a Spanish side. I'm now resigned to him leaving. It was a good stint he had here, and I don't begrudge him departing. The club should have had a new offer on the table for him a long time ago, the problem being that our ambition has shrunk since he signed, whilst his no doubt has moved in the opposite direction. I can only hope that wherever he goes he gets the same appreciation he has here.

Football like all things in life, is what you make of it. The crowd appeal of ourselves and the mackems is bigger than most clubs, its a disgrace that both of us have had the past 50 years that we have had, and I'm a firm believer that any success the mackems would ever have had would have motivated and rubbed off on us too.

Not sure about that with Mike Ashley in control, but agree with it otherwise.

Not sure about that with Mike Ashley in control, but agree with it otherwise.

yes, thats true. Anybody but Mike.

One last chance....until the next last chance

time after time after time we say this is their last chance.

Hes set himself up a bar tab in last chance saloon.

No Pud, no more last chances.

This is it, the defining moment - well the summer is, the club now has money that it could spend and it now needs to.

If the club doesn't spend heavily and he reduces the debt instead, then his "strategy" is to position the club for a sale by reducing his debt over time and gamble on staying in the Prem.

We'll see.

Going to be interesting how much "net" Liverpool spend this summer as well, especially if they miss Europe. (and Spurs for that matter). The Platini rules clock starts ticking on 1st June.

Edited by Toonpack

BTW I almost guarantee that the deciding factor for Ashley to let Enrique go was the fact that Shane Ferguson appears to have been accepted and admired by the fans. Rather than us having a capable young prospect to provide decent backup cover with a view to take over in years to come, Ashley's decided to dispense with the idea of developing a squad as well as a team.

Ferguson should be replacing Enrique on merit (like Kelly has by replacing Johnson at Liverpool), not by virtue of a simple fact that the bloke who had the shirt has been sold for profit.

That's rubbish. Enrique refused to enter contract negotiations long before Ferguson stepped in. He wants more than we can offer football wise and its as simple as that.

I agree with CT.

(There is a first time for everything :( )

heh he seems to be taking money from the players though buy selling em

Your a thick cunt arent ya?

That money stays in the club.....

in what regard? have you seen him reinvest any of the massive profits he's made on player sales since he took over? he's made over £50m from selling players alone.

you don't run a successful football club by consistently making profits on player transfers. he's a billionaire - he's got the cash to be splashing out, but he's a tight cunt and he'd rather turn profits than see success on the pitch. it's obvious man. there's no positive to cling to as long as this cunt's in charge unless he gets so lucky that our scouts unearth 11 more tiotes for next season or someone with a shred of ambition buys him out.

I've seen the figures that suggest Ashley hasnt made a penny since taking over the club but something still doesnt add up. When you see Villa, Spurs and Liverpool spending way more than we do despite having lower attendances and comparably wealthy owners then theres a rabbit off somewhere.