José Enrique

Baggio

I wont love him less if he goes to Man U. In fact you cant accuse us of lacking ambition if he wont come to the table to discuss terms. Fair enough on his part, a chance to take over from Evra (who has looked shit this season) and take a place in the national side. He has to really tbf.

Pardew in the Völkischer Beobachter, erm I mean Daily Mail

Pardew said: 'Mike came and we talked about certain players and values and the strategy and how the summer scouting is going to progress. I felt buoyed by the meeting. As a Premier League manager, I was quite satisfied.

'Now it’s about recruitment and making sure the squads stronger. It’s quite obvious at this time we can’t compete with the likes of Liverpool Tottenham and the top four.

'We could attract a squad here I know would keep us safe in this division but that’s not what Mike wants and it’s not what I want. We want to try and excel. We have to try and take a few chances with players that will keep us in the division but who might take us on to that next level.

Vow: Newcastle United owner Mike Ashley will back is team in the transfer market

'That of course becomes fraught with difficulties. He wants to push as high as we can but he knows we can’t compete with the top clubs in terms of the players that they can afford and the money they’re talking about. We’re going to be realistic in our aims but we’re going to aim high within the realism of our situation.’

With Manchester United, Liverpool, Bayern Munich and AC Milan all monitoring Enrique’s contract talks as Newcastle look to extend his deal beyond the end of next season, Pardew seemed to indicate the former Villarreal defender could be playing his last game for Newcastle today.

Pardew added: 'We’re finding it difficult to get him to come to the table. We’re safe, which I think was what his people said that they would wait for, it’s now the last game and once we get the last game out of the way we’ll sit down and see where we are with it. We’re very hopeful he stays.

Footballer in last year of contract holds all the cards, one chance in 100 he stays IMO

Edited by Toonpack

Pardew said: 'Mike came and we talked about certain players and values and the strategy and how the summer scouting is going to progress. I felt buoyed by the meeting. As a Premier League manager, I was quite satisfied.

'Now it’s about recruitment and making sure the squads stronger. It’s quite obvious at this time we can’t compete with the likes of Liverpool Tottenham and the top four.

'We could attract a squad here I know would keep us safe in this division but that’s not what Mike wants and it’s not what I want. We want to try and excel. We have to try and take a few chances with players that will keep us in the division but who might take us on to that next level.

Vow: Newcastle United owner Mike Ashley will back is team in the transfer market

'That of course becomes fraught with difficulties. He wants to push as high as we can but he knows we can’t compete with the top clubs in terms of the players that they can afford and the money they’re talking about. We’re going to be realistic in our aims but we’re going to aim high within the realism of our situation.’

With Manchester United, Liverpool, Bayern Munich and AC Milan all monitoring Enrique’s contract talks as Newcastle look to extend his deal beyond the end of next season, Pardew seemed to indicate the former Villarreal defender could be playing his last game for Newcastle today.

Pardew added: 'We’re finding it difficult to get him to come to the table. We’re safe, which I think was what his people said that they would wait for, it’s now the last game and once we get the last game out of the way we’ll sit down and see where we are with it. We’re very hopeful he stays.

Footballer in last year of contract holds all the cards, one chance in 100 he stays IMO

Why can we not compete with those 2 clubs? Top 4 obvs as they'll have CL money but Spurs and Dippers? Have'nt we just picked up £35m?

Lowering of expectations etc........................

:D

Absolutely.

You can't build a good side on the cheap over 5 years. Players who may be happy to stay lose their ability through age, other younger players get disillusioned and move on.

Not keeping Enrique shows that we're happy to risk losing every good player as a matter of course rather than it being a one off situation like Carroll.

Mid table woo hoo!

Why can we not compete with those 2 clubs? Top 4 obvs as they'll have CL money but Spurs and Dippers? Have'nt we just picked up £35m?

Lowering of expectations etc........................

:D

Erm, because within the game, they are perceived as bigger than us. (righlty or wrongly, but its a fact).

Absolutely.

You can't build a good side on the cheap over 5 years. Players who may be happy to stay lose their ability through age, other younger players get disillusioned and move on.

Not keeping Enrique shows that we're happy to risk losing every good player as a matter of course rather than it being a one off situation like Carroll.

Mid table woo hoo!

Not keeping Enrique shows primarily, players and their agents are in control and as such you shouldn't let players get down to the last year of their contract.

Edited by Toonpack

It never ceases to amaze me the misery people take out of any situation. :D

A few months a go there was talk of simply trying to finish in the top 10 every year. People moaned that we should aim higher and not simply aim to survive. The word comes out that we are going to try and aim higher, maybe not yet as high as Liverpool or Spurs, but none the less higher.......and people still moan.

I think they are managing expectations well however it still all boils down to what does or doesnt happen in the next two months.

Absolutely.

Mid table woo hoo!

Not keeping Enrique shows primarily, players and their agents are in control and as such you shouldn't let players get down to the last year of their contract.

It's the same point said in a different way. :D

Absolutely.

Mid table woo hoo!

Enrique's the one not willing to sit down and discuss a new deal though.

Which is something we've all pretty much suspected for months anyway.

Absolutely.

Mid table woo hoo!

Enrique's the one not willing to sit down and discuss a new deal though.

Which is something we've all pretty much suspected for months anyway.

Again, it's the same point. He wants to leave because he can see we don't match his ambition.

'1. Now it’s about recruitment and making sure the squads stronger. It’s quite obvious at this time we can’t compete with the likes of Liverpool Tottenham and the top four.

'2. We could attract a squad here I know would keep us safe in this division but that’s not what Mike wants and it’s not what I want. We want to try and excel. We have to try and take a few chances with players that will keep us in the division but who might take us on to that next level.

'That of course becomes fraught with difficulties. He wants to push as high as we can 3.but he knows we can’t compete with the top clubs in terms of the players that they can afford and the money they’re talking about. We’re going to be realistic in our aims but we’re going to aim high within the realism of our situation.’

Translates as:

1. We'll be selling whoever we get a decent offer for.

2. We'll be buying cheap steady players like Williamson, players just good enough

3. How not? We should have the Enrique and Carroll money plus say ten mill what the fat bastard should be putting in anyway, not that we'll see it though.

As I've said before we'll be lucky to see ten million spent and this article is letting us know that.

I think he'd stay if we showed ambition in the transfer market, I also think that's what Barton is doing

So if thats the case, we can say bye-bye to them

If Enrique does leave the whole dynamic of our team is going to change, and Pardew is going to have to think of other plans to use as we always get the ball over to the left at the first oppurtunity, and with Enrique leaving, we wont get anyone in who has the same attacking/defending qualities he has, but not only that the pace to make up for any mistakes he does make

£4m... they're having a laugh.

At that price we'd be better off keeping him and letting him go for nothing.

thats just crap, the papers talk a load of shit. they know as much as us. i would say he will leave for 7-11m

thats just crap, the papers talk a load of shit.

Same as the Mirror article that says we'll sell Barton for just 1 million just so he's off the payroll for the summer.

Guest alex

£4m isn't much but can anyone see it being loads more than that? You've got a player seemingly wanting to leave with 12 months to run on his contract.

£4m isn't much but can anyone see it being loads more than that? You've got a player seemingly wanting to leave with 12 months to run on his contract.

I think around 10 will be the figure unless they have anyone Pardew fancies. (other than Carroll)

Guest alex
7-10m i think we'll end up taking

no chance we'll get the 15m being put about in the press.

I was thinking about £8m-ish like.