José Enrique

Baggio

Ashley Cole was mauled when he said in his book he wanted more than £60kpw, and Enrique isn't close to his level yet.

When I heard Jonathan Barnett (player’s agent) repeat the figure of £55K, I nearly swerved off the road. He (former Arsenal Director David Dein) is taking the piss Jonathan! I yelled down the phone. I was so incensed. I was trembling with anger. I couldn’t believe what I’d heard.

Awesome.

^_^

What am appalling twat he is.

Chez, I think Enrique is referring to the claim that he's been made a very good offer, when he claims he's been offered what amounts to an extension on the same money. And probably the fact that we've spent fuck all of the Carroll money.

First of all i've seen calmer reactions from menstruating women. Secondly people need to take a step back and see the overall change in the situation (any?) and thirdly if there were any problems in the squad i wouldnt blame certain players getting pissed off being told they represent a lack of ambition or the implication that the rest of them arent good enough (which may be true but the implication doesnt really help).

Our club is coming up short of what we deserve but these comments from Enrique have prompted posts that were written 4 months ago being re-written. Nothing has changed, he is on his way out because we wont give him more than £60k a week (or we want to cash in on him, more to the point). We all knew that to be the case months ago so am struggling to see what has materially changed. A lot of people seem to be reacting like its the first time they've thought about this. It does confirm people's point of view but we didnt really need it confirmed. Tweets from a left back expected to leave the club for the last 4 months saying what fans have been saying for 2 years, shouldnt materially change most people's thinking about the club.

The only thing that has moved me is a curiousness as to the lies he is referring to. I cant see any lies the club has told about his contract situation so the accusation is a bit empty, which in turn makes me a bit suspicious of his motives. I like him though and wish him all the best and anything he does do to get what he wants, i wont hold against him. Such is life basically.

I get the impression that he expected the club to reinvest the Carroll cash on new players.

Well he was probably being a bit optimistic, the median expectation of this forum was a net spend of 5-10m

http://www.toontastic.net/board/index.php?...mp;#entry907799

I might be wrong, but did the players confront Lambias after Carroll's sale, or was that just for when Hughton was sacked?

I have no doubt that the lies would be around the club continually talking up their plans and ambition all the while their actions speak otherwise. Now we're continually finding out from sources in the club that the lies and misleading is at all levels and not just to the media and supporters.

We've seen a string of young players leave because of ambition while the club talks about bringing in or bringing though young talent. Milner, N'Zogbia, Bassong, Carroll and Enrique next. At the same time more experienced players with a strong connection to the club, the fans or the players have departed - Given, Duff and Nolan.

Chez is right that this is something we knew was coming, but this is still another artifact in the museum of management fuckups that is the Mike Ashley Newcastle United era. A properly run club would have had Enrique signed to a better deal after promotion was cliched.

First of all i've seen calmer reactions from menstruating women. Secondly people need to take a step back and see the overall change in the situation (any?) and thirdly if there were any problems in the squad i wouldnt blame certain players getting pissed off being told they represent a lack of ambition or the implication that the rest of them arent good enough (which may be true but the implication doesnt really help).

Our club is coming up short of what we deserve but these comments from Enrique have prompted posts that were written 4 months ago being re-written. Nothing has changed, he is on his way out because we wont give him more than £60k a week (or we want to cash in on him, more to the point). We all knew that to be the case months ago so am struggling to see what has materially changed. A lot of people seem to be reacting like its the first time they've thought about this. It does confirm people's point of view but we didnt really need it confirmed. Tweets from a left back expected to leave the club for the last 4 months saying what fans have been saying for 2 years, shouldnt materially change most people's thinking about the club.

The only thing that has moved me is a curiousness as to the lies he is referring to. I cant see any lies the club has told about his contract situation so the accusation is a bit empty, which in turn makes me a bit suspicious of his motives. I like him though and wish him all the best and anything he does do to get what he wants, i wont hold against him. Such is life basically.

I get the impression that he expected the club to reinvest the Carroll cash on new players.

Well he was probably being a bit optimistic, the median expectation of this forum was a net spend of 5-10m

http://www.toontastic.net/board/index.php?...mp;#entry907799

The forum was being a bit optimistic too it seems.

Team positive ftw ^_^

I'm at the stage where I can't take Christmas Tree remotely seriously anymore.

At a time like this, you have to wonder what sort of person would be so desperate to wind up fellow Newcastle fans? Says a lot about the bloke tbh.

He's not a Newcastle fan, he's a clueless shitbag.

An excellent piece from our man at the Telegraph, Luke Edwards. Absolutely spot on.

He has criticised the club’s transfer policy, accused members of the board of lying, implied the new signings are not good enough to replace those who have left and argued Newcastle United will never challenge for honours again under the present regime – just a wild stab this but I don’t think Jose Enrique wants to stay at St James’s Park do you?

To be fair to the Spaniard, his comments on Twitter over the weekend were born out of months of frustration; months of being kept away from the media because the club knew he would say something controversial; months of fearing all the good work that had been in the club’s recovery from relegation was being undone; months of pent up anger unleashed in a few 140 character posts on the world wide web!

But just as newspapers and other media organisations are having to adapt to the rise of social networking sites and their ability to make, as well as spread, the news, so too now are football clubs.

Enrique, probably bored on Newcastle’s pre-season tour of America and wondering why none of the Champions League clubs his agent had said wanted to sign him have made a bid, decided it was time to get his views across.

He might not have even thought about it for very long. It may have just been a spur of the moment decision in a hotel room on the other side of the Atlantic, he may have stupidly thought nobody would be able to read them if he wrote in Spanish, but for me Enrique’s comments on Twitter were calculated and deliberate.

He is in danger of being stuck at a club he no longer wants to play for and in attacking owner Mike Ashley and Managing Director Derek Llambias, he hopes he can speed up his exit.

He has attracted attention to himself and his, erm, “plight”. He has made it clear to his employers that he does not like them or their business plan and he has played the role of the jilted footballer perfectly.

Enrique wants what the fans wants, or so he wants everyone to believe. He wants a bold, ambitious Newcastle United, thrilling the world with its attacking football. He wants Ashley to spend millions on the best new player available, not merely land the best free agents. He wants the board to tell the truth.

His comments undoubtedly strike a chord with thousands on Tyneside. There is frustration at the lack of ambition from the owner, there is still resentment senior club officials once admitted they lied as a public relations exercise when Kevin Keegan was manager, there is still a strong anti-Ashley mentality at a club which has made under-achievement a trademark.

Yet, Enrique has also over egged the pudding some what. Newcastle fans are blindly loyal, but they are not blindly stupid.

They know Enrique has been offered a new contract and they know he turned it down. They know Enrique once said he wanted to spend the rest of his career at Newcastle, comments made when the club weren’t even in the Premier League, let alone challenging for a top six place, and they now know he never meant it.

They know he is an ambitious footballer who first started making noises about leaving this summer long before Andy Carroll was sold to Liverpool for £35m in January, but when the prospect of a new contract was first raised 12 months ago.

They know he is a very talented left-back who has improved dramatically from the slight, out-of-his-depth youngster who arrived from Spain and couldn’t get a game in his first season on Tyneside.

But, ultimately, they know most footballers want what is best for them, not the football club they once pledged loyalty to.

They have seen this happen before at St James’s Park and they have seen it happen to others like them, just look at Aston Villa and Stewart Downing.

They know Ashley isn’t perfect, they know he has made mistakes and they know they are hamstrung by his lack of spending , but they also know they will have a football club to support long after both he and Enrique have become nothing more than memories.

Enrique has been disrespectful to the club, he has been disrespectful to new signings Yohan Cabaye, Demba Ba and Sylvain Marveaux and as popular as he is, that was a mistake.

Whether he had said it on Twitter or an interview with a newspaper, the impact was the same. He has attracted unwanted attention to a club which does soap operas better than most.

He has given the rest of the country a stick to beat Newcastle with, he has made others laugh at a mess he has created.

Newcastle fans will criticise their club until they are blue in the face, they will moan and they will vilify, but they will not let others do it for them. Not even one of their own players and not even when he might have a point if it is a self-serving one.

thats a great video ^_^

Taken in isolation the Enrique thing wouldn't be that big a deal but it's because it's just another part of a much wider trend that it is so depressing.

Didn't Pardew say that Enrique had been offered the best contract that has been offered to any of the players at the club or words to that effect.

To my mind that doesn't necessarily mean he has been offered a better contract.

It just means, for example that if he was on 40k per week in his current contract, they have simply offered the same money, which is more than any of the other players have been offered when renegotiating contracts.

The club have clearly put a spin on the contract offer to make him seem greedy by turning down their best contract offer, but Pardew has let slip that in all likliehood he is being asked to stay on the same money.

CT, the courts have proven that the club have lied. Why do you believe them over a player?

My anger is at the player dragging the club through the mire because his big time move hasn't quite come off as planned.

Its been known since last year that he wanted to be away so he could simply have put in a transfer request or simply just turned down the contract.

Its a fact he has done neither.

What he has done is ignored the club throughout the summer and refused to even discuss the contract on offer. He is now starting to panic because the top four havent come rushing and his agent is no doubt pulling his strings.

The club have been trying to tie him down since January and he is the one fucking about.

The fact that we have two less than savoury people running the club changes none of Enriques action.

My anger is at the player dragging the club through the mire because his big time move hasn't quite come off as planned.

Its been known since last year that he wanted to be away so he could simply have put in a transfer request or simply just turned down the contract.

What he has done is ignored the club throughout the summer and refused to even discuss the contract on offer. He is now starting to panic because the top four havent come rushing and his agent is no doubt pulling his strings.

Spot on CT

The club have been trying to tie him down since January and he is the one fucking about.

I don't buy that.

As with the Carroll deal, neither the club or the player come out with any credit whatsoever.

Spot on CT

I don't buy that.

As with the Carroll deal, neither the club or the player come out with any credit whatsoever.

Without googling I thought it was about January.

If you recall, he originally said he was going to start discussions when we were safe, then when the summer was here, then never.