José Enrique

Baggio

JOSE ENRIQUE has called for new blood at Newcastle United in order to avoid another relegation battle next season.

The Spaniard is fully focused on tomorrow night’s big clash with Arsenal at St James’s Park, with the Magpies likely to find themselves in a relegation place before the game kicks off against Arsene Wenger’s side.

However, the ex-La Liga star, like most Toon fans, feels that United will need new additions to their squad this summer if they are to get back to the business end of the Premier League.

He added: “I hope the fans come back, but we need new players.

“Both of my years have been the same – we have had too many injuries and not a big enough squad.

“At times 10 or 11 have been injured.

“You can’t play like that. You can’t expect right-backs to play in midfield and wingers to play at left-back or have a striker playing out of position, and it’s hard to ask young players to come in too.

“We can’t have excuses for doing badly but the squad needs improving if we want to move on.

“I think Newcastle will bring more players next season.

“They are still a big team that I knew about in Spain because they played in the UEFA Cup and Champions League.

“The last two years haven’t been good.

“We need to climb the table.”

Yet Enrique feels that despite United being written off in the game with the Champions League quarter-finalists, United can get something out of the encounter with the Gunners.

He told the Chronicle today: “They are one of the best teams in England, and it’s a difficult test.

“I still think we can win, though.

“We showed against Manchester United we can compete with the best teams.

“It’s no longer a case of we need to get something, we must get something.

“And with our fans behind us we have a great chance.”

Enrique feels that his run in the side has also enabled him to fully get to grips with the Premier League.

He added: “It’s different in Spain – completely different to England.

“But I have become accustomed to it.

“It was hard for me at the start last year because it was a different team and a different club.

“Now I know what the manager wants from me in games.”

He added: “I hope the fans come back, but we need new players.

no shit Sherlock!

JOSE ENRIQUE has called for new blood at Newcastle United in order to avoid another relegation battle next season.

Optimistic about staying up, or thinking ahead about getting relegated two years in a row??

I really like Jose. Will be the best left back we've had in our premiership years.

Really? :lol:

You'd never have thought it if you had read any of my posts. ;)

Enrique in being able to run a football club better than Wise, Llambrusco and Ashley shocker. :(

Next week, an average 10 year old Football Manager player being able to run a football club better than Wise, Llambrusco and Ashley exclusive. :(

• 2 months later...

We've already found out that Beye is staying, and its more than likely that Stevie Taylor will stay too, if we can get Enrique to stay we'll most likely have one of the best back 4's in the championship.

If by some strange miracle Bassong decides to stay I think we would be impenetrable. Well, maybe not impenetrable but pretty fucking solid.

This lad is our best prospect imo. The papers keep saying he has been a flop but before he picked up that knock he was our best player since about Christmas.

I hope we can keep him but I have doubts, I wouldn't be surprised to see him get in to the Spain squad in the future if he can progress a bit more.

He looks like he's gonna be staying and, should Bassong leave, 3/4 of our defence from last season staying would be a great boost. It'll be hard for a new defender to come in and form a solid partnership with Taylor & Beye straight away.

We've already found out that Beye is staying, and its more than likely that Stevie Taylor will stay too, if we can get Enrique to stay we'll most likely have one of the best back 4's in the championship.

If by some strange miracle Bassong decides to stay I think we would be impenetrable. Well, maybe not impenetrable but pretty fucking solid.

Honestly mate, do yourself a favour and don't believe a word the players say about staying. They won't want to risk their loyalty bonus and in the most part a lot of them will HAVE to go. Hopefully we can keep most of the back 4 but I can see all of them including Taylor going.

Enrique linked with Atletico

Atletico Madrid are set to make a move for Jose Enrique from Newcastle United as they seek a possible replacement for Mariano Pernia this summer, according to a report.

The reports claims Los Colchoneros have pinpointed the 23-year-old left-back and believe that they could revitalise his career after two difficult seasons at St James' Park.

Newcastle are thought to be willing to off-load a number of their players, and several Spanish clubs have been alerted by suggestions Enrique would be available for less than €5million (£4.3m).

While the former Villarreal defender has three years of his contract still remaining with the English side, the Magpies are said to be willing to let him go after suffering relegation from the Premier League.

Pernia looks set to leave Atletico this summer and the club are keen to rebuild their defence, after a poor season at the back, as they look ahead to the UEFA Champions League.

After starting his career at Levante, Enqrique joined Valencia, but made no first-team appearances before moving to Villarreal in 2006 after a loan spell with Celta.

Unsurprisingly interest is being shown in Enrique from Spain. I have no doubts that if an official offer is tabled they'll take the £3-4 million, then won't replace him.

Hopefully someone comes in to buy the club before then and realises that he's an asset worth hanging onto if at all possible.