José Enrique

Baggio

Did you edit out the bit I mentioned because you'd made it up btw? ;)

haha naw had it edited and was gone before I seen yours

naw there was a thread last year about Enrique and his pace was brought up, seem to remember someone throwing up a video of him chasing down Gerrard (who may not be Lennon, but isn't slow)

Gerrard is pretty pedestrian to be honest. Ever seen him beat a man for purely for pace?

I can't see how so many people think he has been the "outstanding" performer? Yeah he has linked well with Jonas but some of his passing play is shocking. As i said when he is playing with Jonas they have a good little partnership down the left but to say he has been outstanding is going a bit far.

I can't see how so many people think he has been the "outstanding" performer? Yeah he has linked well with Jonas but some of his passing play is shocking. As i said when he is playing with Jonas they have a good little partnership down the left but to say he has been outstanding is going a bit far.

I'd go along with that like. Defensively he's not even having to break sweat though so far this season.

I'd go along with that like. Defensively he's not even having to break sweat though so far this season.

You can tell there is alot more to come from him yet, And if he stays with us in the long run would be a good thing. I'd rather him still be learning his trade in the CCC than the Premiership though so we can afford some of his mistakes at this level.

If the side keeps winning and we can get some sort of settled player in front of him, I would love to see him get a bit more confidence and

a. try more of those surging runs down the flank before whipping the ball in.

b. Getting a few shots in

c. Given a go at taking a few free kicks (Shearer / Solano ones)

He does have such a shot on him and has shown brief glimpses of what he is capable of from an attacking point of view. Also every time he shepherd the ball in the corner, you just know that the attacking striker has virtually no chance.

We already said he has a player infront of him who he plays well with in Jonas. Both have a good understanding with eachother.

You can tell there is alot more to come from him yet, And if he stays with us in the long run would be a good thing. I'd rather him still be learning his trade in the CCC than the Premiership though so we can afford some of his mistakes at this level.

by "outstanding" I meant his performances have "stood out". In that they're better than his performances before and better than most of the others have managed.

I didn't mean they were perfect or owt.

Gerrard is pretty pedestrian to be honest. Ever seen him beat a man for purely for pace?

Gerrard is actually surprisingly quick. A little like Enrique in that he doesn't have explosive pace, but once he gets moving he's very quick.

In the match last season against Liverpool Enrique passed Gerrard then Gerrard tried to pull back on Enrique's shirt and comically dived to the ground trying to con a free-kick. The ref wasn't having a bar of it, Enrique was left standing with the ball. Was definitely the Newcastle United highlight of the match.

...And Enrique has busted past the opposing fullbacks at least twice that I recall this season (that's from the 3 game that I have watched this season - hard to tell how a plater is beaten on the radio). He should really be doing it more often though.

Wonder what he would be like at centre back?

Don't know how well he marks off the ball. He actually seems to be able to read the game pretty well. Countless times (but not enough) last season he saved the bacon of our otherwise beaten (usually Coloccini) central defenders.

Gerrard is actually surprisingly quick. A little like Enrique in that he doesn't have explosive pace, but once he gets moving he's very quick.

In the match last season against Liverpool Enrique passed Gerrard then Gerrard tried to pull back on Enrique's shirt and comically dived to the ground trying to con a free-kick. The ref wasn't having a bar of it, Enrique was left standing with the ball. Was definitely the Newcastle United highlight of the match.

...And Enrique has busted past the opposing fullbacks at least twice that I recall this season (that's from the 3 game that I have watched this season - hard to tell how a plater is beaten on the radio). He should really be doing it more often though.

Gerrard's full of running but he isn't quick. It was in relation to what Ant said in the first place though where he said Enrique was quick because he'd caught a few pacy players after giving them a head start last season. These few pacy players turned out to be Gerrard once. I can't even remember the incident tbh but what I was getting at is Enrique would have to be like shit off a stick to be giving players with genuine pace a head start and beating them. He's not that quick, which isn't a criticism of the player, just of the way people are prone to exaggerate about players they like.

I had him down as my mom in the first half but he was quieter in the second (when we were attacking more so he didn't have to be as good) when I thought Smith and Ranger edged him out.

So far I think he's been excellent defensively and pretty good (although in the second half of last season he was better) in attack. Having the likes of Geremi in front of him certainly isn't going to help him in anyway though.

Can't understand how anyone could think he was poor either on Monday or at all this season but some of my mates thought Ranger was poor so I suppose everyone sees different things.

• 6 months later...

http://sports.espn.go.com/oly/cycling/news/story?id=4968470

MADRID -- Spanish cyclist Jose Enrique Gutierrez has announced his retirement after his American Rock Racing team failed to get a license to compete.

In a statement, Gutierrez said that "at this stage of the season it is very difficult to find a team" that could offer him the right conditions.

The 35-year-old Gutierrez has competed in six Tour de France races, three Italian Giros and five Spanish Vueltas in a 12-year career.

He finished second in the 2006 Giro de Italia behind Ivan Basso, his best performance in a major race.

• 7 months later...

If true, and since this is NUFC it fucking well will be because that's the luck we have, then on top of the Ben Arfa one i'm just getting so sick of football and the shit we get thrown at us. If you asked me two players that would be the worst for us to lose we've lost them both.

It might be absolute cobblers, and I sincerely hope it is, its not come from any great sources but it's being mentioned, my post was questioning the validity of the claim rather than stating it as fact.