José Enrique

Baggio

He's quite easily one of the best left backs in the league CT. Maybe he hasnt been making the forward runs this season because he's been told not to?

Thats a possibility, but given our very attacking play, one I find hard to believe, especially given the excellent attacking form of Simpson on the other side. Nearly scored on Saturday.

It should be obvious that he's improving btw. Some of his long passes this season have been immense; the one to Best against Fulham was inch-perfect and he's unleashed some good ones for Jonas to run on to. He's walked into this league and looked one of the best ones in it, so to say he's not improving is a bit mental.

EDIT: Very attacking play?

Edited by Ayatollah Hermione

It should be obvious that he's improving btw. Some of his long passes this season have been immense; the one to Best against Fulham was inch-perfect and he's unleashed some good ones for Jonas to run on to. He's walked into this league and looked one of the best ones in it, so to say he's not improving is a bit mental.

See now thats a proper response. Shame on PP and Alex.

I certainly dont think we've seen the Enrique of old who would burst down the wing this season. Think he did it a lot more before we were relegated and in the champ (obv in the champ).

I know he's done really well for us, but this season I think he's finding it tougher and tougher.

We all know he can sprint and then guard the ball while he turns and comes out of defence, but the rest of his game doesnt really seem to have grown.

Very rarely do you see him going in with a sliding tackle a la Barton.

His attacking game has nearly disappeared, however I lay the blame for that with the poor form of Jonas, more than just Enriques fault. Think he's almost scared to make the runs down to the bye line as he knows that more often than not, Jonas will lose possession.

I appreciate he gets lots of love for his contributions to facebook, but anyone got an objective view on how they think he's developed so far.

Clearly not you.

Bit of an obsession with you now, Jonas.

Is the anger slowly building?

Does just the mention of his name… Jonas Guittierez… wind you up.

Quiet day on the rank?

Jonas

I think my dislike of Jonas is legendary......However I was trying to concentrate on Enrique.

I certainly dont think we've seen the Enrique of old who would burst down the wing this season. Think he did it a lot more before we were relegated and in the champ (obv in the champ).

He's being more conservative with his runs down the flank because it's far easier to get caught out and punished in the PL. I can only really remember him bursting down the wing when Keegan was here and even then, I can't recall it more than he has this season.

I think enrique is improving game to game, ok he may not be making the runs that he made last season but this is a totally idfferent league, he knows he's a defender and cant expose the back line

heres a question for you, if enrique kept making the runs, Jonas lost the ball and we were hit on the counter-attack and yet he didnt learn and continued to make the runs exposing the backline, would we be having this conversation or would it be along the lines of "enrique is shit, doesn't he realise he is exposing the backline?"

See with Simpson, you can really see him getting better game by game all over the pitch to such an extent that a few on here are suggesting an England call up.

Appreciate that he's obviously increased from a poorer run of form, but I still think its quite noticeable now that he is outshining Enrique.

I feel utterly ashamed like :lol:

Good :lol:

Give me a few examples of performances in the past where he got forward then, CT. I've always thought he masked his batteries a bit in that regard and is a little bit like Albert Ferrer who played for Chelsea. If anything, he's gotten forward more this season than I've seen him do so but it's not and never been an instinct of his imo. He's a defender first and not the type of full-back Beresford was.

He's being more conservative with his runs down the flank because it's far easier to get caught out and punished in the PL. I can only really remember him bursting down the wing when Keegan was here and even then, I can't recall it more than he has this season.

Yet Simpsons doing it so well on the other flank....which may back up my Jonas point. Simpson has Barton to help him out.

See with Simpson, you can really see him getting better game by game all over the pitch to such an extent that a few on here are suggesting an England call up.

Appreciate that he's obviously increased from a poorer run of form, but I still think its quite noticeable now that he is outshining Enrique.

People get past Simpson far more than they do Enrique. I'd say Enrique has a more consistent cross and pass on him as well and he's better at beating his man. So basically, he's still better than Simpson and I like them both.

Simpson's a bit like Warren Barton. He gets forward out of honesty but looks out of his depth when he does so. Good, honest defender but not in Enrique's class in terms of performance or ability this year (the odd game apart, obviously). Like comparing Williamson to Collocini.

I think enrique is improving game to game, ok he may not be making the runs that he made last season but this is a totally idfferent league, he knows he's a defender and cant expose the back line

heres a question for you, if enrique kept making the runs, Jonas lost the ball and we were hit on the counter-attack and yet he didnt learn and continued to make the runs exposing the backline, would we be having this conversation or would it be along the lines of "enrique is shit, doesn't he realise he is exposing the backline?"

In what way do you think his game is improving? I know he does the ball guard better than anyone, but when does he ever get telling tackles in?

Look at the Arsenal second half, Simpson was all over the box making last minute sliding tackles.

Re your second paragraph, that was part of my main point. Once bitten and all that. If a Barton type player was ahead of him who didnt lose possession then I think Enrique would be magnificent not only with bye line crosses, but also with a few goals.

In what way do you think his game is improving? I know he does the ball guard better than anyone, but when does he ever get telling tackles in?

Look at the Arsenal second half, Simpson was all over the box making last minute sliding tackles.Re your second paragraph, that was part of my main point. Once bitten and all that. If a Barton type player was ahead of him who didnt lose possession then I think Enrique would be magnificent not only with bye line crosses, but also with a few goals.

That criteria would make Robbie Elliot a better defender than Bobby Moore.

Edited by alex

Give me a few examples of performances in the past where he got forward then, CT. I've always thought he masked his batteries a bit in that regard and is a little bit like Albert Ferrer who played for Chelsea. If anything, he's gotten forward more this season than I've seen him do so but it's not and never been an instinct of his imo. He's a defender first and not the type of full-back Beresford was.

At one time, particularly when Barton was out injured or playing in the middle, virtually every attack would go down the left and it would be the overlapping link up play between Enrique and Jonas. Now its a lot more balanced with possibly more coming down the right.

I cant give you definitive games etc but Enrique now tends to limit his runs down the flank.

I've noticed Simpson's been pressed into action more than him in recent games as well, which doesn't really tie in with the notion that having a player like Barton in front of him would allow Enrique more license to get forward.

Look at the Arsenal second half, Simpson was all over the box making last minute sliding tackles.

Re your second paragraph, that was part of my main point. Once bitten and all that. If a Barton type player was ahead of him who didnt lose possession then I think Enrique would be magnificent not only with bye line crosses, but also with a few goals.

He doesn't have to make last ditch tackles because he reads the game that well and is strong and quick enough to get the ball with no fuss. How do you think that's a bad thing? :lol:

At one time, particularly when Barton was out injured or playing in the middle, virtually every attack would go down the left and it would be the overlapping link up play between Enrique and Jonas. Now its a lot more balanced with possibly more coming down the right.

I cant give you definitive games etc but Enrique now tends to limit his runs down the flank.

I knew that you wouldn't be able to back it up, CT. That was why I asked for specific examples.

Edited by alex

He doesn't have to make last ditch tackles because he reads the game that well and is strong and quick enough to get the ball with no fuss. How do you think that's a bad thing? :lol:

You couldnt make it up man. :lol: You're fighting a losing battle trying to argue football with CT

Simpson's a bit like Warren Barton. He gets forward out of honesty but looks out of his depth when he does so. Good, honest defender but not in Enrique's class in terms of performance or ability this year (the odd game apart, obviously). Like comparing Williamson to Collocini.

You may well be right, but I think Simpson is coming on leaps and bounds and his second half tackling display in and around the box against the quick footed Arsenal players was magnificent.

I put Simpsons improvement down to having Barton ahead of him rather than Routledge.