José Enrique

Baggio

I've noticed Simpson's been pressed into action more than him in recent games as well, which doesn't really tie in with the notion that having a player like Barton in front of him would allow Enrique more license to get forward.

I just think Enrique "thinks twice" now, simply due to the fact that Jonas does lose the ball quite a lot.

Simpson's a bit like Warren Barton. He gets forward out of honesty but looks out of his depth when he does so. Good, honest defender but not in Enrique's class in terms of performance or ability this year (the odd game apart, obviously). Like comparing Williamson to Collocini.

You may well be right, but I think Simpson is coming on leaps and bounds and his second half tackling display in and around the box against the quick footed Arsenal players was magnificent.

I put Simpsons improvement down to having Barton ahead of him rather than Routledge.

So (have I got this right?) you're saying Simpson had loads of defending to do on Saturday and had to make loads of important tackles in the box in the 2nd half and at the same time you're crediting the player in front of him, i.e. Barton, with giving him more help defensively? How does that work?

I think enrique is improving game to game, ok he may not be making the runs that he made last season but this is a totally idfferent league, he knows he's a defender and cant expose the back line

heres a question for you, if enrique kept making the runs, Jonas lost the ball and we were hit on the counter-attack and yet he didnt learn and continued to make the runs exposing the backline, would we be having this conversation or would it be along the lines of "enrique is shit, doesn't he realise he is exposing the backline?"

In what way do you think his game is improving? I know he does the ball guard better than anyone, but when does he ever get telling tackles in?

Look at the Arsenal second half, Simpson was all over the box making last minute sliding tackles.

Re your second paragraph, that was part of my main point. Once bitten and all that. If a Barton type player was ahead of him who didnt lose possession then I think Enrique would be magnificent not only with bye line crosses, but also with a few goals.

He doesn't have to make last ditch tackles because he reads the game that well and is strong and quick enough to get the ball with no fuss. How do you think that's a bad thing? :lol:

The thread was about the other parts of his game and whether they have improved or declined.

He has always being able to guard the ball and nobody has said that is a bad thing.

I feel utterly ashamed like :lol:

Good :lol:

Give me a few examples of performances in the past where he got forward then, CT. I've always thought he masked his batteries a bit in that regard and is a little bit like Albert Ferrer who played for Chelsea. If anything, he's gotten forward more this season than I've seen him do so but it's not and never been an instinct of his imo. He's a defender first and not the type of full-back Beresford was.

At one time, particularly when Barton was out injured or playing in the middle, virtually every attack would go down the left and it would be the overlapping link up play between Enrique and Jonas. Now its a lot more balanced with possibly more coming down the right.

I cant give you definitive games etc but Enrique now tends to limit his runs down the flank.

I knew that you wouldn't be able to back it up, CT. That was why I asked for specific examples.

I think its a silly point really as most people would have said Enrique used to get forward quite a lot.

Simpson's a bit like Warren Barton. He gets forward out of honesty but looks out of his depth when he does so. Good, honest defender but not in Enrique's class in terms of performance or ability this year (the odd game apart, obviously). Like comparing Williamson to Collocini.

You may well be right, but I think Simpson is coming on leaps and bounds and his second half tackling display in and around the box against the quick footed Arsenal players was magnificent.

I put Simpsons improvement down to having Barton ahead of him rather than Routledge.

So (have I got this right?) you're saying Simpson had loads of defending to do on Saturday and had to make loads of important tackles in the box in the 2nd half and at the same time you're crediting the player in front of him, i.e. Barton, with giving him more help defensively? How does that work?

Not sure if you've watched the second half back, but most of the tackles I refer too, as did the commentators, was him getting across into the penalty area to mop up where the other defenders, including Enrique, had fucked up.

Give me a few examples of performances in the past where he got forward then, CT. I've always thought he masked his batteries a bit in that regard and is a little bit like Albert Ferrer who played for Chelsea. If anything, he's gotten forward more this season than I've seen him do so but it's not and never been an instinct of his imo. He's a defender first and not the type of full-back Beresford was.

At one time, particularly when Barton was out injured or playing in the middle, virtually every attack would go down the left and it would be the overlapping link up play between Enrique and Jonas. Now its a lot more balanced with possibly more coming down the right.

I cant give you definitive games etc but Enrique now tends to limit his runs down the flank.

I knew that you wouldn't be able to back it up, CT. That was why I asked for specific examples.

I think its a silly point really as most people would have said Enrique used to get forward quite a lot.

Not that I agree with that but most people in this thread are laughing at you if you want to use the 'go with the majority' argument.

I think enrique is improving game to game, ok he may not be making the runs that he made last season but this is a totally idfferent league, he knows he's a defender and cant expose the back line

heres a question for you, if enrique kept making the runs, Jonas lost the ball and we were hit on the counter-attack and yet he didnt learn and continued to make the runs exposing the backline, would we be having this conversation or would it be along the lines of "enrique is shit, doesn't he realise he is exposing the backline?"

In what way do you think his game is improving? I know he does the ball guard better than anyone, but when does he ever get telling tackles in?

Look at the Arsenal second half, Simpson was all over the box making last minute sliding tackles.

Re your second paragraph, that was part of my main point. Once bitten and all that. If a Barton type player was ahead of him who didnt lose possession then I think Enrique would be magnificent not only with bye line crosses, but also with a few goals.

He doesn't have to make last ditch tackles because he reads the game that well and is strong and quick enough to get the ball with no fuss. How do you think that's a bad thing? :lol:

The thread was about the other parts of his game and whether they have improved or declined.

He has always being able to guard the ball and nobody has said that is a bad thing.

But last ditch tackles aren't a part of his game because he doesn't need to do them. Saying Simpson is improving because he has to make last minute tackles after his man goes past him then saying Enrique hasn't because he doesn't let his man past him to make last minute tackles makes no sense to me.

Not that I agree with that but most people in this thread are laughing at you if you want to use the 'go with the majority' argument.

Since when did that ever bother me. :(

I think discussing the form of a player and whether parts of his game have improved or waned :lol: is fine.

Not sure if you've watched the second half back, but most of the tackles I refer too, as did the commentators, was him getting across into the penalty area to mop up where the other defenders, including Enrique, had fucked up.

I think we'll have to agree to disagree CT. He had a very good game but he wasn't pulling other defenders out the shit left, right and centre as you suggest. The back four cruised through the 2nd half in the main. Being at the game, of course, you get a better appreciation of these things, but even watching it back on TV aferwards you could tell that was because Arsenal not only sat deep but also resorted to hoofing the ball when under pressure. This was meat and drink to our back four.

Guest Marshall-Barnes
I know he's done really well for us, but this season I think he's finding it tougher and tougher.

We all know he can sprint and then guard the ball while he turns and comes out of defence, but the rest of his game doesnt really seem to have grown.

Very rarely do you see him going in with a sliding tackle a la Barton.

His attacking game has nearly disappeared, however I lay the blame for that with the poor form of Jonas, more than just Enriques fault. Think he's almost scared to make the runs down to the bye line as he knows that more often than not, Jonas will lose possession.

I appreciate he gets lots of love for his contributions to facebook, but anyone got an objective view on how they think he's developed so far.

You've posted some shite on here, but that's just horrific. Looks bad on you mate, I don't know why you do it?

It's like CT exists on a parallel Universe or something. Bizarre thread this, even by his standards. Are you contrary for the sake of it CT or do you really believe what you type?

Whats contrary about having a discussion about whether a player has improved or not.

Awaits answer.......

It's like CT exists on a parallel Universe or something. Bizarre thread this, even by his standards. Are you contrary for the sake of it CT or do you really believe what you type?

Whats contrary about having a discussion about whether a player has improved or not.

Awaits answer.......

The fact you're asking if one of our widely acknowledged best players has improved. That sentence should literally answer that question for good.

These sort of threads make this place look bad. Christmas Tree should have a ban on making new threads. They're pointless anyway because everyone knows that next week after Enrique has a blinder he'll create another thread with his brand new incisive opinion, then claim that anyone else who states the bleeding obvious is guilty of plagiarism.

I know he's done really well for us, but this season I think he's finding it tougher and tougher.

We all know he can sprint and then guard the ball while he turns and comes out of defence, but the rest of his game doesnt really seem to have grown.

Very rarely do you see him going in with a sliding tackle a la Barton.

His attacking game has nearly disappeared, however I lay the blame for that with the poor form of Jonas, more than just Enriques fault. Think he's almost scared to make the runs down to the bye line as he knows that more often than not, Jonas will lose possession.

I appreciate he gets lots of love for his contributions to facebook, but anyone got an objective view on how they think he's developed so far.

You've posted some shite on here, but that's just horrific. Looks bad on you mate, I don't know why you do it?

Specifically which bit is horrific?

Btw, nothing like some cold hard facts in a debate like this. On Saturday, Danny Simpson made 7 tackles. He won 3 and lost 4. Enrique made 9 tackles. He won 6 and lost 3. Source: Guardian chalkboards.

Guest Marshall-Barnes

Clichy

Clark

Ridgewell

Crainey

Robinson

Cole

BAINES

Hughes

Aurelio

Kolarov

Evra

Higginbotham

Assou Ekoto

Cech

Bridge

Bardsley

Elokobi

Figueroa

Now I'm not being biased here, but only the players I've bolded are better left backs than Enrique, the main reason being, in my mind they're 2 of the best 3 left backs in the world. Apart from that I'd laugh in anyones face to say anyone I haven't mentioned being better.

I know you court controversy, that's fine, but you have to understand you look a bit silly with posts like this. I won't post again in this thread.

Don't think there's any doubt that Enrique is better than the shower of shite at left-back in this league, bar A. Cole and Evra. But after thinking about it a bit, I think this thread is actually about Jonas and how terrible he is and how he's causing Enrique to be poor as a result.

Obsessed tbh.

Btw, nothing like some cold hard facts in a debate like this. On Saturday, Danny Simpson made 7 tackles. He won 3 and lost 4. Enrique made 9 tackles. He won 6 and lost 3. Source: Guardian chalkboards.

Dont bring facts and stats into it man, we all know they're no good in a baseless argument. :lol: