José Enrique

Baggio

The debt/credit thing is a bit of a red herring given the availability of credit has dried up and banks are much more prudent in handing out high risk loans. To me it's an issue as to whether you 'speculate to accumulate' to use a tired, old cliche. Specifically whether Ashley spends a bit of money in order to gain some success and push for Europe in order to generate a greater turnover. This is risky (in that everything involved in owning a football club is anyway) but it's probably far more risky to do it on a shoestring and gamble on PL survival over the next few seasons. Especially given he's already seen the club relegated in his time here and doesn't appear to have learnt that many lessons from it.

Is correct. So basically, the only way to do it would be to do the opposite of what Shepherd did, put money IN to the club :)

Actually not sure it is correct, the greater risk to Ashley is the option involving him dipping into his personal wealth. The greater risk to the club is the option where he doesnt use his own wealth to invest. Doing things on a shoestring is the least risky option and the most prudent for Ashley but risks survival in the league.

What is at risk is the initial investment but that already been heavily discounted and he's also seen the club bounce back from it once. I know what alex means and i agree, its just there is more than one 'entity' under discussion i.e. Ashley and his private wealth and the club.

I see what you're saying. Surely he'd have to dip into that personal wealth if we went down. I think it's all a bit moot anyway given the course he's apparently set on, i.e. reduce costs as much as possible.

When Ashley first came to the club we signed Viduka, Smith and Barton all on unsustainable wages. Most people liked Mort, but I thought he was a disaster. His mismanagement of the books ultimately led to the appointment of penny pitching Llambias.

I think its a bit early to say we will always be run on a shoestring. If that was the case Taylor would have been sold.

What happens with Barton and Jose contracts in the summer will indicate which direction we are going in, as both seem to be enjoying their football.

Mort was an arsehole. Quite a lot of supporters thought he was OK though because he wasn't Fat Fred :up:

From a totally independent/review/source

the former owners did very nicely out of their investment in Newcastle United, thank you very much. In fact, they absolutely coined it with the Halls (Sir John and Douglas) receiving a total of £95 million over the years, while the Shepherds (Freddy and Bruce) had to make do with £55 million. The Halls’ money comprised £55 million from the sale to Ashley, £20 million from previous share sales (to NTL and the club itself), £15 million from dividends and £5 million in salary payments, while the Shepherds’ money came from £38 million Ashley sale, £7 million dividends and £5 million salaries.

And what was the result of these staggering payments? After years of rank bad management, they left the club in an appalling mess: a £30 million loss; £70 million of debt plus £27 million owing transfer fees; extremely limited borrowing capacity, as all assets and income streams had already been used to secure loans; and a bloated wage bill of aging mercenaries on generous long-term contracts.

http://swissramble.blogspot.com/2010/12/ne...ource=BP_recent

The overall point you're making I understand but the bits in bold highlight the anti-Shepherd propaganda which exists even to this day. 38+7+5 = £50m not £55m, and to be honest FFS deserved something, more than Douglas Hall anyway, we were a thriving CL club and he put us there as much as anyone. FFS was a good businessman for NUFC up to 2004. It's incredible we're having this debate AGAIN.

any old stick to beat Shepherd with, its astounding how some people just won't let go. If Mike Ashley was running a better club and doing better on the pitch I could understand it. Talk about having their heads up their arses, and most of them didn't support the club before the Halls and Shepherd and have probably stoppled going so often since they left too.

Unbelievable hypocrisy.

Sheperds gone you stupid old man, he's not coming back, so will you please get your 3" hardened penis out of his fucking ass! Fuck me this gets annoying, you'd fucking think you're about 9.

I'm answering a post about Shepherd, you stupid young cunt. You know fuck all about this club anyway, so you would be better off reading and learning.

Stupid, ironic in so many ways. You go on as if you're a fucking 9 year old, grow up you pathetic old mong.

the facts I post about the club and its history are correct.

Sorry if you have a problem with that.

Learn about the club, then come back and debate them with me.

Stupid, ironic in so many ways. You go on as if you're a fucking 9 year old, grow up you pathetic old mong.

Key word there, history. History is a long time ago, history doesn't repeat itself, wish i could say that for some people on here though :)

Key word there, history. History is a long time ago, history doesn't repeat itself, wish i could say that for some people on here though :)

sometimes it does. We had shit owners for decades who ran the club like a 3rd rate club up untio 1992, and now we have the same thing again.

Pardew makes case for 'terrific' Enrique to earn Spanish call-up

Genuine praise / man management or an early sales pitch for Tubby ?

Either way - everybody relax and get those season ticket renewals in because Paradiddle says come summer "We are prepared for everything" .

Wheyaye man Alan !?

That'll be the same "prepared for anything" you were when Carroll just happened to knock on the door while you lot were having a meeting and subsequently brought in Kuqui then ?

The only thing 'prepared' then was the fuckin helicopter man .

Bite . My . Shite .

........Tell y what - I think that without a shadow of doubt, the most important bloke at NU right now and for the forseeable is Graham Carr . :)

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

http://www.independent.co.uk/sport/footbal...up-2215105.html

Pardew makes case for 'terrific' Enrique to earn Spanish call-up

By Damian Spellman

Tuesday, 15 February 2011

Alan Pardew is backing full-back Jose Enrique to play himself into the Spain squad if he continues to excel for Newcastle. The 25-year-old had another excellent match at Blackburn on Saturday and heads for Birmingham tonight with his reputation growing by the week.

Pardew, the Newcastle manager, said: "Possibly that would be a fitting tribute for him, to get into that squad. It's a tough squad and an outstanding team, but he is showing the sort of form that could get him into that squad, no problem.

"There aren't too many who can hold a candle to him at the moment, the form he is in. If you were the opposition, you would have to start worrying about him defensively because he keeps coming at you. Let alone the other assets we have in the team offensively, you have to look after our left-back because he will raid and raid all day. He has been terrific for us."

Enrique, a former Under-21 international, joined Newcastle in a £6.5m transfer from Villarreal during the summer of 2007. He initially found the going tough, but was one of the key players of last season's promotion drive in the Championship.

Pardew said: "I don't think his first season was particularly great, but he has come on in leaps and bounds. He is one of the first names on my team-sheet and one of the best left-backs I have ever worked with. It's a pleasure to work with him, he is a lovely guy."

Enrique's form has inevitably alerted potential purchasers, and speculation has linked Manchester United and Liverpool with him in recent weeks. Having already seen Liverpool prise Andy Carroll from his grasp with a £35m January bid, Pardew knows the club could face another assault this summer, although he remains desperate to hang on to Enrique. He said: "We are prepared for everything. It's always difficult, but you want to keep your best players."

Saturday's 0-0 draw at Ewood Park means the Magpies have lost only one of the seven Premier League games they have played since the turn of the year, a run which has taken them to 32 points and kept them in the top half of the table ahead of tonight's match.

Pardew added: "It's a very important game and we would like to get three points on the board if we can. It's not easy to do away - I think they [birmingham] have only lost two at home all year, so they have got a very, very good record."

Carroll's departure and Shola Ameobi's fractured cheekbone – he will fly to America on Thursday to be fitted for a protective mask – have left Pardew with limited attacking options, but he is confident there are still goals in his team.

He said: "The side is in good spirits, a strong team. We have a midfield that could grace and side in the Premier League, I feel, and they create enough chances for us to score goals, so I think we will be OK."

The club debts have rocketed because it signed bargain basement loan players, such as Martins, on loan at Brum, for preposterous fees, that didn't bother turning up for training and we got relegated :)

No, the club played regularly in europe and the Champions League more than everbody bar 4 clubs over a 15 year period, by backing their managers in the way NUFC should who subsequently brought players to the club like Shearer, Lee, Ferdinand, Ginola, Beresford, Venison, Cole, Sellars, Bellamy, Robert, Dyer, Jenas, Viana, Bramble, Dabizas, Ferguson, Speed, Solano, Given, Ambrose, Fox, Hamman, N'Zogbia, Milner, Given, Barton, Pistone, Peacock etc etc

Of course, they accumulated huge debts to the cries of dismay of the 15000 supporters who supported the club in 1991 as they watched all those years of high profile football, and massive steps forward in the profile of the club and establishing and furthering the fanbase worldwide, the stadium totally revamped and the value of the club rocket from less than 1.25m quid to anything up to 200m quid.

Of course, you know what you are talking about here :lol::o

Edit.

And - we were relegated for selling players like Given, Milner, N'Zogbia, signing inferior players, losing a manager like Keegan instead of backing him to buy possibly 2 quality players that could have got us back into europe, and creating a demotivated and disenchanted football club

Comprehension issues. One inferior replacement is the top goalscoring midfielder in the league the other was a full Argentina international with the most assists in la liga when Milner was still in th u21s.

Then again it's all about th fees with you :up: imbocile

spellin issues ;)

Remind me again, when did Mike Ashley run the club when it qualified for europe again ? He's into the 4th year of his "plan" now isn't he ? :icon_lol:

Comprehension and basic common sense issues. :icon_lol:

Cringe

If you can't afford a Ferrari so decide to buy one over 10 years, but it breaks down, completely fucked after 3, when would next be able to pay for a new one, leazes?

If you can't afford a Ferrari so decide to buy one over 10 years, but it breaks down, completely fucked after 3, when would next be able to pay for a new one, leazes?

Just out of interest how long are you going to keep blaming Shepherd for Ashley running the club like Netto

Ad infinitum it appears Sponge

Just out of interest how long are you going to keep blaming Shepherd for Ashley running the club like Netto

he's got comprehension issues man

The bitter irony :)

answer spongebobs question !

Just in case you pretend you can't see it, I've put it in bold for you

Edited by LeazesMag

Or until he isn't buying top players when the club can afford them

:)

:up:

That doesn't really answer my question.

answer spongebobs question !

Just in case you pretend you can't see it, I've put it in bold for you

Answer mine, oh and have you found those quotes yet

Is netto being run in a fashion to make up for debts left by past owners like spongprick? If not, stick your question up for arse

do you have a yorkshire terrier dog by any chance ?

Is netto being run in a fashion to make up for debts left by past owners like spongprick? If not, stick your question up for arse

do you have a yorkshire terrier dog by any chance ?

Do you have a goldfish