José Enrique

Baggio

We never used to sell our players to bigger clubs for record fees because they generally decreased in value once they came here and got fat sitting on their big contracts :lol:

The numbers being touted for Enrique are a bit worrying. £6m covers his original transfer fee but he's an infinitely better player now than then.

Aye but he's only got 12 months left on his contract (come the next window).

The summer is the key, if (big if, I accept) we spend the Carrol cash and even then Enrique won't sign a new deal, with one year left, he has to be sold, sad but true.

just like the good old days. Still, its all "business".

The good old days didn't have Bosman, it's called common sense :lol:

same rules for everybody. Run the club like Netto, and your best players want to go because they see it for what it is.

Just like your good old days.

There's a fact of life that you need to get your head around. When and if certain clubs come calling you just are not going to be able to hold onto your players.

The summer will be the test, if he gets sold to someone like Villa or Everton THEN you can rightly whinge.

I think selling our top goalscorer to Liverpool for a record fee is a basis to "rightly whinge. Obviously you don't - but tell me when this last happened rather than the other way round when we ourselves bought the best players from other premiership clubs, something which the vast majority of people came to expect and something which someone your age should understand better - assuming you really did support the club in the 70's and 80's as you claim.

First bold bit -then if you think £35m for Carrol should not be taken then you are a fool, not to mention the fact that Liverpool are still seen as a "monster" club, wrongly IMO but that's life. Not having a plan B was whinge-able but the sell decision, at that price, was a no brainer.

When did that happen, when we bought the top 4-6th placed (you know the teams I mean) best players ???

you're a fool if you think you should sell your best players. You're also a fool if you think that Liverpool should be buying our best players. Liverpool were the most successful club for a lot of years, but selling them [no to mention the likes of Spurs and Villa] our best players for career and monetary reasons ? The last owners bridged that particular gap, and you're an even bigger fool if you can't accept that.

You're also a fool - again - if you think we will see anywhere near that money invested in quality footballers as happened with the sale of Andy Cole as the managers decision

I see you are completely avoiding the topic - every time - of supporting the club prior to 1992 ? They attracted you didn't they, now you criticise for not winning the title ? What "sheer" hypocrisy.....which answers your last point perfectly.

Edited by LeazesMag

The summer is the key, if (big if, I accept) we spend the Carrol cash and even then Enrique won't sign a new deal, with one year left, he has to be sold, sad but true.

same rules for everybody. Run the club like Netto, and your best players want to go because they see it for what it is.

There's a fact of life that you need to get your head around. When and if certain clubs come calling you just are not going to be able to hold onto your players.

The summer will be the test, if he gets sold to someone like Villa or Everton THEN you can rightly whinge.

I think selling our top goalscorer to Liverpool for a record fee is a basis to "rightly whinge. Obviously you don't - but tell me when this last happened rather than the other way round when we ourselves bought the best players from other premiership clubs, something which the vast majority of people came to expect and something which someone your age should understand better - assuming you really did support the club in the 70's and 80's as you claim.

First bold bit -then if you think £35m for Carrol should not be taken then you are a fool, not to mention the fact that Liverpool are still seen as a "monster" club, wrongly IMO but that's life. Not having a plan B was whinge-able but the sell decision, at that price, was a no brainer.

When did that happen, when we bought the top 4-6th placed (you know the teams I mean) best players ???

you're a fool if you think you should sell your best players. You're also a fool if you think that Liverpool should be buying our best players. Liverpool were the most successful club for a lot of years, but selling them [no to mention the likes of Spurs and Villa] our best players for career and monetary reasons ? The last owners bridged that particular gap, and you're an even bigger fool if you can't accept that.

You're also a fool - again - if you think we will see anywhere near that money invested in quality footballers as happened with the sale of Andy Cole as the managers decision

I see you are completely avoiding the topic - every time - of supporting the club prior to 1992 ? They attracted you didn't they, now you criticise for not winning the title ? What "sheer" hypocrisy.....which answers your last point perfectly.

Andy Cole out, Shearer in.

Who's the fool now?

It was Ferdinand in, Cole out tbf. And even then it's not really a fair comparison either unless all the Carroll money goes on his replacement(s) this summer.

I don't understand how making a 35million profit on a player means we'll sell any player for any profit. It was obviously too big to turn down, for almost ANY club

Not sure where this argument is going really. It's become ridiculously simplified and polarised on both sides. One side saying ambitious clubs don't sell their best players with the other side quoting various examples which are particularly relevant anyway. What is surely more pertinent is that other clubs who actually are ambitious in terms of chasing success would've taken steps to replace a player like Carroll, in the event of his leaving. Even if it was just a short-term option like getting Sturridge in on loan. The bigger issue is around whether the transfer fee will be spent in the summer and whether we'll make an effort to hang onto Tiote, Enrique et al. I think it'll be a case of excuses made on both scores though.

Carrol wasn't our best player, its Tiote by a mile. HBA is also better.

Jose and Barton are on par.

Since Carroll has been out/left, Best has scored at the same rate if not better than Carroll (who was 5 in 9 starts going into the derby)

I believe there’s something in this, in my view it’s clear that we didn’t have the ambition or resources* to pay Carroll what he was worth (what he could get elsewhere, and centre forwards are paid at a premium) and that’s the same with Enrique. This “waiting until we’re safe before signing” smells of bullshit, preliminary discussions with Barton indicate that they’ve only offered him a contract well short of what he’s on now.

*the key to a well run club is to extract the maximum amount of money from sponsorship deals, we no longer have anyone at the club who knows how to do this, more is the point the present regime have scared any existing sponsors away because of their wrong doings. Ashley has just stuck a Sports Direct logo on anything and everything to mask the truth, to benefit his shops and not NUFC.

Ashley either doesn’t want to and/or doesn’t know how to run a competitive club. There’s no way that Ashley will progress the club or it’s players to full potential. The players will know this more than anyone.

“You need to spend money, if you pay peanuts you get monkeys”. — Joey knows.

Re: Tiote, I think we can afford to turn down any offers for him. We've only had him a year, keeping him for another one and he'd command the same price next summer providing he doesn't go shit and he wanted to go.

I don't think this is much else than the papers stirring it up. I know we are quick to have a go at Ashley but buying HBA shows that there is some promise being shown in the transfer market, and even though losing Carroll wasn't for the best, £35 Million is a LOT of money.

It really is a case of waiting and seeing what will happen with the money, and hoping that we are able to keep players like Enrique and Tiote. Carroll only went because it was a stupidly high offer, and if it is to be believed that we rejected bids around the 20-25Mil mark then it does show at least some intent of wanting to hold on to our best players.

What Chez is trying to say is our team is so fuckin' good that we can make any old shitter look like a top goalscorer. Best to Chelsea £42m in the summer.

:lol:

Final straw for me if it happens.

35 million may not be that much when you look at the effect on the rest of the team. No ambition to achieve anything by management will have a trickle down effect. If all the FCB is interested in is money, why should any player stay at Newcastle if they can get more at any other club?

When good players, close to the end of their contracts, opt to leave for next to nothing then you not only have to replace Carroll but also the likes of Enrique. Add Barton to that along with an agent unsettling Tiote, Colochinni having a rethink, Nolan pushing 30, Ireland saying thanks but no thanks, then its not beyond the realms of possibility that a frenchman could get disillusioned with life.

Carroll is just another in a long list of players that a team could've been built around here but no. We want the money.

Fortunately, there's 52,000 who see the glass as half full. That half being perch,guthrie,ameobi,best.....

Don't be stupid, you can't compare the club then (70/80's) to now, or the way players are handled, bosman changed everything. Oh and stick your attracted by 92 crap, I watched Alan Foggon and Micky Burns and Graham Oates and Glen Keeley and George Riley etc etc etc

The only period when I didn't consistently go was when Keegan was a player here strangely enough, due to other priorities.

I don't think you should sell your best players BUT I accept it as a fact of life in the modern game when those considered the established "big-boys" come knocking and turn a players head, or someone offers you a stupid amount of money, you're screwed. Everyone has their price and there is a pecking order and we ain't in that top tier (and sadly never really have been established there).

Do you think for a minute the former owners would have turned down £35m for Carrol, really ??

As for the reinvestment (or not) we won't know until the summer will we :razz: (I accept FFS would likely have spent it - well what Barclays would have allowed him to)

What you really need to accept is that the Keegan "glory years" were our blip, we had our Shankly moment and we screwed it up, we won nowt, and let it all slip away and it's a LONG road back.

Don't be stupid, you can't compare the club then (70/80's) to now, or the way players are handled, bosman changed everything. Oh and stick your attracted by 92 crap, I watched Alan Foggon and Micky Burns and Graham Oates and Glen Keeley and George Riley etc etc etc

The only period when I didn't consistently go was when Keegan was a player here strangely enough, due to other priorities.

I don't think you should sell your best players BUT I accept it as a fact of life in the modern game when those considered the established "big-boys" come knocking and turn a players head, or someone offers you a stupid amount of money, you're screwed. Everyone has their price and there is a pecking order and we ain't in that top tier (and sadly never really have been established there).

Do you think for a minute the former owners would have turned down £35m for Carrol, really ??

As for the reinvestment (or not) we won't know until the summer will we :razz: (I accept FFS would likely have spent it - well what Barclays would have allowed him to)

What you really need to accept is that the Keegan "glory years" were our blip, we had our Shankly moment and we screwed it up, we won nowt, and let it all slip away and it's a LONG road back.

agree with all that, but that road has got to be longe under ashley than any other chairman out there, FFS included.

Luke Edwards

Look guys and girls. Regardless of where Enrique quotes have appeared he wants to go in the summer. Trust me.

Wouldn't be surprised if it's part of the reason he's binned his twitter account. :lol: