José Enrique

Baggio

SAM ALLARDYCE today completed the £4.2m signing of 21-year-old Spaniard Jose Enrique Sanchez Diaz – and then set his sights on the last piece of his jigsaw in the shape of Serbian defender Ivica ‘Drago’ Dragutinovic.

Ivan%20Drago.jpg

SAM ALLARDYCE today completed the £4.2m signing of 21-year-old Spaniard Jose Enrique Sanchez Diaz – and then set his sights on the last piece of his jigsaw in the shape of Serbian defender Ivica ‘Drago’ Dragutinovic.

And the United boss was still catching his breath today after what was a whirlwind weekend, even in his vast experience, in which United snatched Enrique from under the noses of both Manchester City and Liverpool.

Big Sam could not hide his delight at getting Enrique on a five-year contract even though it cost him 6m from Villarreal.

Even though he had to virtually break off negotiations for Drago when he was alerted that the Spanish outfit were willing to let him have Enrique.

Allardyce told me today: “When we get Enrique signed it will finalise an excellent few days for us. As far as Dragutinovic is concerned, if it is still a possibility then I will try and pursue it this week.”

Story continues Continue story

ADVERTISEMENT

Allardyce will be hoping that even though United do not have the £6m they were expecting to bank for Kieron Dyer it will not stop him signing Drago for £2.5m from Seville.

And, speaking for the first time about Enrique, Big Sam told me today: “We will be getting a very experienced central defender to go with a very talented and experienced Premiership player in Alan Smith, who knows what it takes to win a championship, and also a good central defender in Cacapa.

“In Enrique we have signed a player who has huge potential at a very good age and who has already broken into the first team at Villarreal.”

The signing of Enrique and the hoped-for arrival of Drago means it looks as though Allardyce has lost patience with Celestine Babayaro and nobody can blame him for that.

The Chronicle reported in our later editions on Saturday that Allardyce has turned his attention to Enrique and Drago after making a £5m bid for Leighton Baines – £3m down and £2m at the end of the season.

This bid was accepted by Wigan, but Allardyce was aware that Baines wanted to go to Everton – and this looks likely to be the case.

United turned to Drago, and negotiations were so advanced on Friday night that it was reported in some quarters on Saturday that the 31-year-old Serbian international had actually signed.

But when Allardyce was informed that Enrique was up for grabs it was all systems go for the Spanish Under-21 left-back.

Allardyce added: “Either our chief operating officer Russell Cushing or chairman Chris Mort got a phone call which said the player was available.

“I asked the price and said “go” and they went. And in 24 hours he was here.

“Russell Cushing and Chris Mort are the reasons Enrique is signing for us rather than Liverpool or Manchester City.”

"Though everything is signed and sealed, the only confirmation we now need is Jimbo's telly on Toontastic".

Meanwhile, the only downer for Allardyce was the breakdown of Dyer’s transfer to West Ham after the London outfit said that United had hiked the price up from £6m to £8m.

The Chronicle said on Saturday night that West Ham would not resurrect the deal, and Dyer is still a United player – leaving a lot to be sorted out once the dust has settled.

yep still waitin

a press conference presenting both enrique and drago on the cards maybe? :icon_lol:

The Spanish U21 left-back - nicknamed 'The Bull' by supporters for his combative style

Just his nickname has GOT to make him better than a lot of our LBs. :icon_lol:

JOSE Enrique Sanchez says he is excited about continuing his football education under Sam Allardyce after being hugely impressed by his first meeting with the Newcastle United boss.

Big Sam has made the Spanish U21 left-back his seventh signing of the summer, arriving on a five-year deal from Villarreal for a fee of 9.3 million Euros.

Jose Enrique - who will take the number three shirt at St. James' Park - spoke exclusively to nufc.co.uk after joining the Magpies.

He said: "I believe very much in the manager at Newcastle United and I believe they are going to be one of the top teams.

"I met Sam for dinner and I was very happy to listen to his plans for Newcastle United.

"He treated me very well and he understands me. He knows I have to get used to a lot of new things, like changes in culture and language, but he says he is going to help me adapt to that.

"He says it will make me stronger and he will have patience with me. I am really happy to here that."

Jose Enrique will now get used to life with his new colleagues, but he already knows the capabilities in the squad.

He added: "I know that Newcastle already have players with a lot of character and players who are used to winning many things and playing in Europe like Michael Owen, Mark Viduka, Alan Smith and Obafemi Martins.

"It will also help me to have people like Nolberto Solano and Albert Luque to speak to. Albert says he is going to take care of me at Newcastle."

:icon_lol:

The Spanish U21 left-back - nicknamed 'The Bull' by supporters for his combative style

Just his nickname has GOT to make him better than a lot of our LBs. :icon_lol:

Our previous LB's tend to be nicknamed a word what goes along with that.

Edited by Geordie Boyo

JOSE Enrique Sanchez says he is excited about continuing his football education under Sam Allardyce after being hugely impressed by his first meeting with the Newcastle United boss.

Big Sam has made the Spanish U21 left-back his seventh signing of the summer, arriving on a five-year deal from Villarreal for a fee of 9.3 million Euros.

Jose Enrique - who will take the number three shirt at St. James' Park - spoke exclusively to nufc.co.uk after joining the Magpies.

He said: "I believe very much in the manager at Newcastle United and I believe they are going to be one of the top teams.

"I met Sam for dinner and I was very happy to listen to his plans for Newcastle United.

"He treated me very well and he understands me. He knows I have to get used to a lot of new things, like changes in culture and language, but he says he is going to help me adapt to that.

"He says it will make me stronger and he will have patience with me. I am really happy to here that."

Jose Enrique will now get used to life with his new colleagues, but he already knows the capabilities in the squad.

He added: "I know that Newcastle already have players with a lot of character and players who are used to winning many things and playing in Europe like Michael Owen, Mark Viduka, Alan Smith and Obafemi Martins.

"It will also help me to have people like Nolberto Solano and Albert Luque to speak to. Albert says he is going to take care of me at Newcastle."

I was thinking the same, don't let him anywhere near enrique

"He says it will make me stronger and he will have patience with me. I am really happy to hear that.

Its stuff like this that defines managers like Allardyce and why they can attract players and get the best out of them. Roeder, Souness et al would have signed him and basically dumped him in the middle of town and said sort yourself out from now!

Also Big Sam has been talking about easing the new players who haven't played in the prem into the season, not just chuckign them all in at the start when they mightn't quite be ready from pre season and also making sure we start with plenty of prem experience in a game like Bolton away. I'm sure we'll see one of the new defenders get a game home to Villa though.

Sam just continually impresses you as somebody who really knows what they're doing, and is in a different leage to the previous muppets!

"He says it will make me stronger and he will have patience with me. I am really happy to hear that.

Its stuff like this that defines managers like Allardyce and why they can attract players and get the best out of them. Roeder, Souness et al would have signed him and basically dumped him in the middle of town and said sort yourself out from now!

Also Big Sam has been talking about easing the new players who haven't played in the prem into the season, not just chuckign them all in at the start when they mightn't quite be ready from pre season and also making sure we start with plenty of prem experience in a game like Bolton away. I'm sure we'll see one of the new defenders get a game home to Villa though.

Sam just continually impresses you as somebody who really knows what they're doing, and is in a different leage to the previous muppets!

Yeah, hes completely the opposite to souness so what im saying is hes a fuckin GREAT mananger lol

Yeah, if it wasn't for Sam, he'd probably be living next door to peasepud. :icon_lol:

Luque looking after him is a good idea imo. It will hopefully mean he does not have to go through the same sort of settling in shock luque did. They can stick together and look after each other. Might even bring Luque out a bit.