José Enrique

Baggio

whichever way it's spun, the cold hard facts are that he's shafting us. he's getting shedloads of cash for players and he's not reinvesting it in the squad. that's why he's a cunt. and that's why it's difficult to get excited about our chances while he's in charge or to blame players for wanting to leave and play for more ambitious clubs.

ambition is a choice, not a right to demand, Ashley made his choice ages ago and people such as yourself took the ambition for granted.

Sorry like, but that is the truth.

eh? no i didn't. what are you on about now?

you tell me. You appear to have performed a massive u-turn. Whenever I've said what you are saying now, you've massively disagreed with me.

Hoping for a sheik is like hoping for a lottery win. Very nice if it happens but a bit unrealistic and not worth pinning your hopes on.

Football can't really expect to go on running at a loss.

Times have moved on and Financially Ashley is positioning us in a very favourable position.

I would much rather see these new financial rules (that I don't fully understand) return football to a fairer more realistic scenario.

Yep

IF he capitalises on the "surplus" this summer.

He could easily invest a bit more than he has without going daft a la City / Chelsea. No one is expecting him to do the latter. I don't expect the former either like.

I think it's been a turbulent few years in the world and in the club and therefore it's not too suprising he hasnt chucked a 100 mill of his own money at it for players.

Rightly (and most of us would do the same) his priority has been reducing the wage bill, gaining promotion, and getting us to a break even point.

As I've said before, a CL push costs hundreds of millions and there is little incentive for owners to risk a 100 mill just pushing for Europe.

This summer will definitely an indicator and solid progress and a bit of stability would do me.

Steady as she goes.

the thoughts of an old man.

shit I've pissed mesel er no thats not it.

The former regime gave me the best times of my life following NUFC but now we are paying the price. If we had continued we be bust by now so Ashley (who has made mistakes) is what we need to get us out of the financial shit. Bitter pill.

If we had won the league that year and maybe one of our cup finals we would be massive now (Mr state the bloody obvious)

the thoughts of an old man.

shit I've pissed mesel er no thats not it.

The former regime gave me the best times of my life following NUFC but now we are paying the price. If we had continued we be bust by now so Ashley (who has made mistakes) is what we need to get us out of the financial shit. Bitter pill.

If we had won the league that year and maybe one of our cup finals we would be massive now (Mr state the bloody obvious)

Agree wholeheartedly, I haven't pissed myself either mind.

Is the reason he needs to subsidise the club because he didnt do due diligence?

No.

Ashley knew about the debt (and lack of future income) and it was taken into account in the purchase price.

So you think 132 million was including "the debt"?

Was the asking price a PR exercise then in disguising a huge black whole of debt, when really the asking price shouldve been £1 or some other nominal sum?....

In May 2007, there had been around 136 million (probably a bit more than that, maybe 150 million) NUFC shares issued in total. Ashley bought many of them for around 80 to 90 pence or even cheaper. Then when he had 30%, he had to make a formal bid and iirc that was 1 pound per share. Buying up all the sahres cost him 136 million quid. It implicitly included the debt.

Arsenal are worth 721m as of yesterday btw.

He could easily invest a bit more than he has without going daft a la City / Chelsea. No one is expecting him to do the latter. I don't expect the former either like.

Course he could. To get to Tottenham's level, which is almost competing in a sustainable way, would take £150m worth of investment, and a comparative drop in the ocean to him. He'll be dead soon anyway with cholesterol related health problems. Why have all that money and do nothing with it?

whichever way it's spun, the cold hard facts are that he's shafting us. he's getting shedloads of cash for players and he's not reinvesting it in the squad. that's why he's a cunt. and that's why it's difficult to get excited about our chances while he's in charge or to blame players for wanting to leave and play for more ambitious clubs.

ambition is a choice, not a right to demand, Ashley made his choice ages ago and people such as yourself took the ambition for granted.

you tell me. You appear to have performed a massive u-turn. Whenever I've said what you are saying now, you've massively disagreed with me.

no i haven't. you must have me mixed up with someone else.

your problem is you see everything in black and white. everyone is either in the shepherd or ashley camp and that makes them either right or wrong in your eyes.

i wanted shepherd out. i blame his stupid decision making on us not kicking on after SBR re-established us as a top side. shepherd's time in charge had come to an end. it was time for a change at the top. but at least you can say he had ambition that our current owner lacks and he gave a shit about the club and the fans. who could have predicted we would have ended up with the worst chairman of a football club in the country?

i don't want shepherd and i don't want ashley. but of the two, ashley is so bad that you'd take shepherd back just to be rid of him.

Edited by Dr Gloom

Course he could. To get to Tottenham's level, which is almost competing in a sustainable way, would take £150m worth of investment, and a comparative drop in the ocean to him. He'll be dead soon anyway with cholesterol related health problems. Why have all that money and do nothing with it?

So around 50% of his total wealth, in total, you expect him to put in. How many other owners have done that ??

exactly. we've gone from one extreme to another.

So around 50% of his total wealth, in total, you expect him to put in. How many other owners have done that ??

He's worth £1.1b. All of his assets. £150m is loose change to him.

If I had £300m I'd give the toon £280m tbh. I'd buy a 6 bedroom hoose at Heddon or Wylam, one in London, one in Cyprus and one in Thailand, build a horse stable, buy some top horses, that would leave me £10m and I COULD live off the interest for the rest of my life. He's a joker. He could do wonders with that club with his money.

Edited by McFaul

your problem is you see everything in black and white. everyone is either in the shepherd or ashley camp and that makes them either right or wrong in your eyes.

i wanted shepherd out. i blame his stupid decision making on us not kicking on after SBR re-established us as a top side. shepherd's time in charge had come to an end. it was time for a change at the top. but at least you can say he had ambition that our current owner lacks and he gave a shit about the club and the fans. who could have predicted we would have ended up with the worst chairman of a football club in the country?

i don't want shepherd and i don't want ashley. but of the two, ashley is so bad that you'd take shepherd back just to be rid of him.

Only if you're barking mad :(

If he's so "wonderfull" with just the fans and the club to care about, why doesn't he buy it back ?? I'll tell you why, for exactly the same reason he/they sold it, because it would take their own money to do it (which is academic anyway as they aint rich enough).

the thing is, he wouldn't even need to spend that much. i think all of us accept that we won't spend all of the money he's made from transfers but if we were to reinvest just 20 odd million each summer, we'd be in decent shape.

If he's so "wonderfull" with just the fans and the club to care about, why doesn't he buy it back ?? I'll tell you why, for exactly the same reason he/they sold it, because it would take their own money to do it (which is academic anyway as they aint rich enough).

what are you on about? where did i say he was wonderful?

cretin

omg, you are STILL repeating the same rubbish.

I don't do personalities, sorry like, but it isn't me who labels people in the "Shepherd or Ashley" camp, its others. All I ever said was that the HALLSAND SHEPHERD were good directors, the proof is in the huge progress made by the club on and off the pitch, and would be very difficult to replace with better. So people like you labelled me in the "Shepherd" camp for some reason, more than likely because you were so anti-Shepherd, even though he NEVER owned the club and COULD NOT make big decisions on his own as you suggest.

Mike Ashley IS NOT the worst chairman [or owner] it is possible to have at all. Does that now in your eyes, put me in the "Ashley camp" ?

Maybe after a few more owners, you may revise your opinion of the Halls and Shepherd , and actually realise they will be difficult to replace with better and were in fact a lot, lot better than you gave credit for, and arguing with me about it was a waste of your time, instead of opening your eyes.

And - you STILL vastly underestimate the qualities "ambition that our current owner lacks and he gave a shit about the club and the fans" by the looks of it, as you quote above. Why do you think it is automatic someone else will buy out Ashley and "show ambition that our current owner lacks and he gave a shit about the club and the fans". You still suffer from the same delusions.

Anyway, I'm not mistaking you for anybody else, whenever I pointed out the very things you are now saying, you also harped on about how wrong I was and how much this place would be better off without me.

FWIW, Mike Ashley is our Alan Sugar, Bob Murray etc, if he is here a long time we will almost certainly be playing in front of a half empty stadium in my opinion, just like we did under McKeag etc, who also sold our best players and propelled the club along the route of Sheffield Wednesday due to long term apathy and decline. And we could STILL do worse.

Edit, and the scary thing is, if he makes small operating profits of a few million quid a year, with minimal costings, even by selling our best players to get it, while using the club as a marketing vehicle to sit alongside Sports Direct, he will be quite happy owning the club until or unless someone comes along and offers silly money for it.

Edited by LeazesMag

If I had £300m I'd give the toon £280m tbh. I'd buy a 6 bedroom hoose at Heddon or Wylam, one in London, one in Cyprus and one in Thailand, build a horse stable, buy some top horses, that would leave me £10m and I COULD live off the interest for the rest of my life. He's a joker. He could do wonders with that club with his money.

The £150 Mill on top of what's already been thrown in is significantly more than loose change.

The second para is because NUFC is your main thing, no-one with that sort of cash would do what you propose you would.

Multi millionaires are strange people, it's not about "Oh! I can quit and live off the interest quite comfortably" job done I've retired. They are strangely driven people. I used to work for one (I reported directly to him) in a new start up company he'd set up, he was self made, worth double figure millions, and he worked every hour god sent at his new venture, he used to have panic attacks and was near collapse at times. He was a lovely bloke an all, I used to think WTF are you doing this for, your family is sorted for generations. They are weird people, I'm guessing the billionaires are even worse.

cretin

You didn't, I was paraphrasing "showed ambition, only gave a shit about the club/fans" and the fact you'd have him back, that bit.

I think it's been a turbulent few years in the world

unfortunately the world has been the same for all of our competitors. A few years ago though, our "competitors" were Liverpool, Spurs etc and a few other clubs, whereas our "competitors" now are the likes of Bolton, Stoke, Wigan etc, and others who seem to have done a better job of living with this "turbulent few years in the world"

cretin

You didn't, I was paraphrasing "showed ambition, only gave a shit about the club/fans" and the fact you'd have him back, that bit.

if you read the rest of the post, i'm hardly saying he was wondefrul am i. just using him as an example of how shite a chairman ashley is.

Back away Gloom, before he ruins the thread again.

Me ???

Edit - my posts in this thread have been "on topic", nee diversion at all.

Bad choice of word to use with Gloom is all.

Edited by Toonpack

Back away Gloom, before he ruins the thread again.

Me ???

Edit - my posts in this thread have been "on topic", nee diversion at all.

Bad choice of word to use with Gloom is all.

Nah, I wasn't directing it at you.