Owen set to miss Newcastle opener

Scottish Mag

England striker Michael Owen is likely to miss Newcastle's Barclays Premier League opener at Bolton next Saturday.

Boss Sam Allardyce, who signed Alan Smith from Manchester United on Friday, admits Owen's torn thigh muscle "hasn't healed as quickly as we would like".

"It doesn't look as encouraging as we first thought," he told the Daily Mail.

"There's no point in making any rash decisions just to get him fit for the start of the season. It's about getting him 100% to play on a regular basis."

Owen, whose career on Tyneside has been beset by injuries, played just three times for the Magpies last term and has made just 14 appearances since his transfer from Real Madrid in December 2005.

The injury has already wrecked the 27-year-old's pre-season programme.

"It has been more disappointing for him that he's missed pre-season games more than training," Allardyce added. "He's done enough training to last him a lifetime."

The latest setback also puts in doubt Owen's participation in England's friendly with Germany at Wembley on 22 August.

Previous managers would probably have risked him.

Yeah specially roeder and probably against owen's will lol

Roeder made a point if not rushing players back, and didn't for most of the season (for his faults that wasn't one of them).

Towards the backend of the season he maybe did a bit, but frankly by that point we didn't even have enough non-academy players fit to field a first 11 team.

And I suspect Allerdyce (or anyone else) would do the same thing in that position (because there is no other viable choice).

Owen and injury seems to go hand in hand. Not very optimistic in seeing him play most games this season, despite BS efforts to rid us of injuries.

Owen is just a high injury player really, I think at any club, no matter the back room/training situation, he will be injured more than average.

Roeder made a point if not rushing players back, and didn't for most of the season (for his faults that wasn't one of them).

Towards the backend of the season he maybe did a bit, but frankly by that point we didn't even have enough non-academy players fit to field a first 11 team.

And I suspect Allerdyce (or anyone else) would do the same thing in that position (because there is no other viable choice).

tbh the only player roeder took time for was dyer

And Duff (2x), Carr, Baba, Moore, Ramage, Taylor, Given (2x), Harper etc. etc.

Rushing players back wasn't one of the faults of his management, by the time he could have been accused of it, there was simply no other option.

Rushing players back wasn't one of the faults of his management, by the time he could have been accused of it, there was simply no other option.

rushed back emre when he was still injured, continued to play ameobi when his hip was at breaking point which i know ul say he had no other option but he didi rossi and martins or a change of formation. BS says luque was injured for 2 years and roeder played him quite a few times. Rushed taylor back once when he had shit defenders and aggravated an injury.

Roeder did rush players back

rushed back emre when he was still injured, continued to play ameobi when his hip was at breaking point which i know ul say he had no other option but he didi rossi and martins or a change of formation. BS says luque was injured for 2 years and roeder played him quite a few times. Rushed taylor back once when he had shit defenders and aggravated an injury.

Roeder did rush players back

Apart from Ameobi (which was silly although again perhaps a least worst option - and maybe a FFS option at that) all of that was by the time we were into a massive nearly season long injury crisis.

If we'd left senior players for a long as possible and then a bit more just to be sure all last season, we'd have been playing with an academy youth team and frankly likely would have been relegated last season.

As I said there's not a manager in the business that wouldn't have started to push people back with the number, length and repeated injuries we had last season. Which can become a catch 22, but there's no way to "manage" your way out of that once you are in that situation.

Broadly Roeder handled the injuries last year pretty well (given the scale of things), where he didn't do so well was team selection, tactics and motivation.

I think were lucky we have got good cover up front with viduka martins especially. Be good to get owen back though we could do with his goals this season.

Its quite good and strange that we can be thinking that in Owen's absence we are actually still covered with quality strikers in the likes of Viduka, Smith, Martins, but hopefully he'll be back sooner rather than later.

I did expect this though, when he got the injury i didn'tthink it would end with a simple 10 days recovery and then back up and running, i thought he'd end up missing the start of the season, this is NUFC after all! The good thing is Big Sam and his team will be keeping him in as a good a level of fitness as possible without risking the ankle and he'll come back when he's more than ready.

The latest setback also puts in doubt Owen's participation in England's friendly with Germany at Wembley on 22 August.

There'll be hell on if he declares himself fit for that one.

With it being a friendly it really will kick off if he played his first game in that and imagine if he got a knock in that game!

There's no way there should be international friendlies being played then anyway, and i expect the sensible managers like Fergie, Jose et al will no doubt have some of their key players not quite able to make that friendly but manage to play in their next league game, and rightly so if they do that.

Edited by Papa Lazaru