Shorey rejects Royals deal

khay

Reading boss Steve Coppell has revealed Nicky Shorey has declined the chance to extend his contract.

The Royals have been holding talks with Shorey in a bid to tie him down to a new long-term deal to ward off interest from rival clubs.

The likes of West Ham and Newcastle have been credited with an interest in Shorey following his impressive season in the Premier League last term.

Shorey, who still has two years to run on his current contract, has turned down the chance to extend his deal as he wants to keep his options open.

Coppell is not worried about the contract situation of Shorey and team-mate Leroy Lita, who has been in discussions over a new deal.

"Nicky Shorey is going to stick with his current situation and there are no new contracts imminent," said Coppell.

"Both have two years left so it is not of immediate concern to us. We are realistic about the situation."

Additions

Coppell also revealed that he may make one final foray into the transfer market with Glenn Little struggling with the Achilles problem.

"I'm not anticipating making any more signings but we have been in the situation throughout the summer that if someone became available that we liked then we would do something about it," added Coppell.

AFAIK Enrique hasnt been confirmed by our club yet???

and its not against the premiership rules to have more than one decent player at any particular position is it?

nope but im sure they would both want to play and cost 4m and 6m respectively which is quite a bit of money for someone to sit on the bench. But i see your point

and its not against the premiership rules to have more than one decent player at any particular position is it?

nope but im sure they would both want to play and cost 4m and 6m respectively which is quite a bit of money for someone to sit on the bench. But i see your point

about time we had competition for places though, and call me daft but I expect us to have more than our fair share of injuries again this year as normal. We havent exactly got a big squad have we?

about time we had competition for places though, and call me daft but I expect us to have more than our fair share of injuries again this year as normal. We havent exactly got a big squad have we?

what you're saying is all correct but i really don't expect to sign another left back should enrique sign. BS stated he wanted four more players, cacapa, enrique maybe dragutunovic (can't spell) and a big name signing. Shorey is good but i would not put him in the 'big name' bracket. I think after we've signed a left back he won't be looking for another

what you're saying is all correct but i really don't expect to sign another left back should enrique sign. BS stated he wanted four more players, cacapa, enrique maybe dragutunovic (can't spell) and a big name signing. Shorey is good but i would not put him in the 'big name' bracket. I think after we've signed a left back he won't be looking for another

sorry you are probably right Im just hoping that in time we will be able to compete with the big 4 again and to do that we need to have a good squad. One step at a time though eh

i'd put "Dragutinovic" in the big name signing bracket at 12 letters :lol:

i'd put "Dragutinovic" in the big name signing bracket at 12 letters :icon_lol:

haha good first post, now i expect more funny comments lol

i'd put "Dragutinovic" in the big name signing bracket at 12 letters :icon_lol:

He's no Venegoor of Hesselink though.