Baines a Toon target

Scottish Mag

Newcastle manager Sam Allardyce has hinted he could make a move for Wigan's Leighton Baines.

Allardyce is working hard to bring in defensive reinforcements ahead of the new season and a new left-back is one of his top targets.

Baines' future at Wigan has been the subject of intense speculation all summer with the player snubbing a move to Sunderland after holding talks with the Premier League new boys.

Wigan also rejected a player plus cash offer from Everton for the England Under 21 international at the end of last month.

Newcastle are now ready to enter the bidding for Baines with Allardyce a big admirer of the talented full-back.

"Leighton Baines might be a possibility," Allardyce told the Daily Star.

"He hasn't moved from Wigan yet and we need a defender."

I reckon even with jose enrique sam will still persue Baines. The guy is quality and i can't see us not going for him if we have the chance. Any news on the exit of babaro yet?

Skysports.com understands Wigan ace Leighton Baines is in talks with Everton and Newcastle.

Wigan have given permission to Baines to talk to both clubs after they accepted undisclosed bids from their Premiership rivals for the talented full-back.

The Latics have reluctantly agreed to let Baines move as they look to get their squad in place for the start of the new season next weekend.

Baines has attracted the interest of a host of clubs with Sunderland failing to persuade him to move to the Stadium of Light after having a fee accepted for his services last month.

Everton are in the market for a new left-back with Joleon Lescott being played out of position in the role last season.

Newcastle boss Sam Allardyce admitted on Friday that he could make a move for Baines as he looks to reshape his defensive options at St James' Park.

Baines is set to meet both clubs to discuss a possible move and the defender is expected to make a decision on his future over the weekend.

It is believed Everton are favourites to land Baines ahead of Newcastle because the player is a Toffees fan and would love the chance to play for his boyhood heroes.

from SkySports.com

I should think if we get Baines as well as the new Spanish kid we'll probably look to offload Babayaro at the first opportunity, let's hope eh.

Wigan ace Leighton Baines is in talks with Everton and Newcastle.

Wigan have given permission to Baines to talk to both clubs after they accepted undisclosed bids from their Premiership rivals for the talented full-back.

The Latics have reluctantly agreed to let Baines move as they look to get their squad in place for the start of the new season next weekend.

Baines has attracted the interest of a host of clubs with Sunderland failing to persuade him to move to the Stadium of Light after having a fee accepted for his services last month.

Everton are in the market for a new left-back with Joleon Lescott being played out of position in the role last season.

Newcastle boss Sam Allardyce admitted on Friday that he could make a move for Baines as he looks to reshape his defensive options at St James' Park.

Baines is set to meet both clubs to discuss a possible move and the defender is expected to make a decision on his future over the weekend.

It is believed Everton are favourites to land Baines ahead of Newcastle because the player is a Toffees fan and would love the chance to play for his boyhood heroes.

SSN.

Source: http://www.skysports.com/story/0,19528,11678_2640553,00.html

I'll be ecstatic if Big Sam really is going for 2 left backs, because we really do need two as Babayaro isn't good enough and nobody else at the club can play there to a high enough standard.

But we'll wait and see what happens with both deals!

Article today was saying that due to Baine's wife being pregnant that he would prefer to stay in the Northwest and Everton. I can't be bothered to find the source but I believe it was one of the ICnewcastle articles.

From bbc.co.uk

Baines to undergo Everton medical

Baines was on international duty with the Under-21s this summer

England Under-21 defender Leighton Baines is set for a medical at Everton.

The Merseysiders have beaten off interest from Newcastle and after weekend talks agreed a fee with Wigan, believed to be in the region of £6m.

Everton had an opening offer of £4m plus a player turned down by Latics manager Chris Hutchings.

The 22-year-old left-back will undergo a medical on Monday before discussing personal terms with the Toffees, the club he has supported since childhood.

Baines watched Everton's 2-2 friendly draw with Werder Bremen last week.

He sat alongside Everton striker James Vaughan in the directors' box on Tuesday night, fuelling speculation that a move was imminent.

Baines rejected a £6m move to Sunderland, with boss Roy Keane claiming he had his heart set on a move to Everton.

He said: "Football is a small world and you hear things through the grapevine.

"I just got the impression that Leighton had his heart set on a move to Everton. I don't blame him for that.

"When I left Manchester United, it didn't matter which team came in for me I was always going to go to Celtic.

"I met Leighton and he's a nice lad who I would have loved to have come here.

"But it didn't happen and we move on."