Serb to decide on Newcastle

Jimbo

Price is wrong for Drago

Aug 8 2007

by Alan Oliver, Evening Chronicle

SERBIAN defender Ivica Dragutinovic has priced himself out of a move to Newcastle United.

And United are now looking elsewhere for the defender Sam Allardyce wants as the last piece in his summer spending jigsaw.

But Big Sam is not now expecting to make a signing in the imminent future and he will be happy to get in another defender by the time the transfer window closes on August 31.

Big Sam told me on Monday that he had hoped to get the “Drago” deal done and dusted by the end of this week.

But reports coming out of Spain suggest that the defender has now signed a new four-year deal with Sevilla.

I understand that not only was the 31-year-old Serb trying to put a pistol to United’s head but Sevilla had started to move the goalposts.

And reports that Allardyce was in Spain yesterday to complete the transfer are wide of the mark.

A United source told me today: “We were a bit taken back by Dragutinovic’s demands.

“If we had given him what he was asking for, it would have made him the highest paid player at St James’ Park.

“We are not prepared to meet his demands.”

Dragutinovic has now gone to the bottom of Allardyce’s priorities as he prepares to go back to Bolton Wanderers and Saturday’s opener at the Reebok Stadium.

The scan on Shay Given’s groin has revealed there is a small tear which will keep the United keeper on the sidelines for two or three weeks.

Fortunately, the United boss knows that he has a more than capable deputy in Steve Harper.

But where Allardyce is a bit short for Saturday is in midfield, and he has to decide whether to take Kieron Dyer to the Reebok and find a place for him on the United substitutes bench.

It’s no secret that some fans do not want to see Dyer in a black- and-white shirt again after the collapse of his £6m transfer to West Ham.

But Dyer is contracted to United for another two seasons and it would be no use to anyone to give the England international the cold shoulder.

By turning up for training on Monday and not sulking at his family home in Ipswich, Dyer has probably done himself a big favour.

:lol: i swear he reads this board

Highest paid player at SJP? Fuck off.

Fucking hell. More than Owen per week for a 31 year old defender?

Got to admire the stones on the lad to ask for £100k +!!!!!one1

Highest paid player at SJP? Fuck off.

Fucking hell. More than Owen per week for a 31 year old defender?

Got to admire the stones on the lad to ask for £100k +!!!!!one1

onemilliondreviljk8.jpg

Dr. Agutinovic: I demand the sum... OF 1 MILLION DOLLARS.