The New A-S in Toon...

bassplayerjj

:icon_lol:

Saw the game today and from being disgusted with Alan Smith signing for the club I am now delighted. Call me fickle, call me whatever, I'm being honest, I swallow my pride, I made a mistake =) It was a real treat seeing a player look so committed and proud to be wearing the shirt today. He's showed that he's willing to give his all for the team and this is what matters, this is what Dyer lacked the moment he refused to play on the right for Sir Bobby. He looked like the old Alan Smith, not the one at United that looked a shadow of himself, especially after the injury.

More positives were the performances of Roz & Taylor (especially Roz who was so composed and precise with his defensive interventions) who as I predicted resemble a Hyypia-Carragher partnership (both in stature and performance) but with more pace :icon_lol: It was also fantastic to see the defence hold such a tight line and actually look organised!

Geremi looked fantastic in his centre mid role. Really composed and skillful as well as effective passing.

Martins didn't have the best of games (what a bleeding miss!) but he showed commitment and industry (especially in defensive areas) that proves he is up for the fight this year and if he doesn't mind it could well become Sam's Diouf (without the spitting and general c***tishness!)

Can't believe I feel so optimistic about the season and happy with the summer signings so far, from Alan Smith to Rozenhal they all look to be very positive additions to our weak squad. Jose Enrique on his way, Dragutinovic for competition at LB and CB, another CB/RB and a powerful big centre mid-fielder like Diop and I think if we stay fit this year we can finish at least 5th =)

Good job so far Big Sam!

:rolleyes:

Edited by bassplayerjj

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

With us not playing in europe this year and the strong competition Sam is looking to have all over the pitch I think we can beat spurs and anyone else to that 5th spot. I'll even go so far as to say we may have one of the tightest defenses in the prem this year, especially at home. The arrival of more quality defenders like Jose Enrique, Dragutinovic & more as well as the man Cacapa we will have more competition in defence than we have had for at least a decade (probably more!).

Yes I said it, Newcastle may have one of the tightest defenses this year!

If you look at the side we can put out when we have most players fit then we can beat any team in the prem, I`m not stupid enough to say we will be in contention but with BS in charge and a couple more signings we can put the shits up a few of the so called top 5

Guest James_coDurham

Not expecting too much this season, but I certainly think we've made headway into bridging the gap between us and the top 4.

With us not playing in europe this year and the strong competition Sam is looking to have all over the pitch I think we can beat spurs and anyone else to that 5th spot. I'll even go so far as to say we may have one of the tightest defenses in the prem this year, especially at home. The arrival of more quality defenders like Jose Enrique, Dragutinovic & more as well as the man Cacapa we will have more competition in defence than we have had for at least a decade (probably more!).

OMG i never thought i would hear anyone say that during my lifetime. You have guts :icon_lol: but i still think injuries will prevent us finishing 5th

Guest Patrokles
I think 5th is a little optimistic, but I agree about Martins. He really worked hard to get back.

Unfortunately, he was shit.

Not having 10+ midweek games in europe is going to give us a definite advantage over the likes of Spurs, Blackburn and whoever else is in the UEFA cup. Less risk of injuries, more chance to recover from little niggling injuries and generally being fitter and fresher when we play prem matches. We've seen it before when SBR team wasn't in europe as we lost in the intertoto and we had a great season.

Ultimately of course we have to get straight back into europe to attract the next level of players and move upwards, but just this one off season out of europe may be a good thing, providing we make the very most of it.

Teams will fear coming to SJP once again. With Barton, Smith, Taylor, Cacapa, Butt, Viduka and more arriving there will be no ponying about this year. Some good proper roll your socks up grit your teeth action all over the park!

One of the things i am looking forward to is seeing us firstly play well at St. james and get back to beating some of the shite teams who play in the prem, and secondly like you say,s eeing a toon team with soem fight and aggression about them. Putting ourselves about and not taking a backwards step, respecting the big teams but not in awe of them, being able to come backf rom behind and every now and then maybe giving somebody a right good hammering like we used to.

Smith's a good player, it was just would he fit in (and had he recovered fully from injury)?

I guess from today that answer is a yes, so hopefully it'll be a good signing.

OMG i never thought i would hear anyone say that during my lifetime. You have guts :icon_lol: but i still think injuries will prevent us finishing 5th

Maybe it's about time people started to keep on saying this.You never know,it might come true.

Maybe it's about time people started to keep on saying this.You never know,it might come true.

gabrielle would agree with that, dreams can come true :icon_lol:

There seems to be a plan like the second half after we scored, we clearly practiced being one up away from home, and if was very difficult to score against us.

That's the sort of thing toon fans want to hear! Yes, so far its only friendlies, but the ability to get a lead and close games out is something we have never had, and i hope this will be something we see a fair bit of in the prem.

Also the idea that Big Sam has plan A,B and more to adapt to different oppositoon, different situations and the like, better than Roeder's plan A which didn't work and him sitting there watching it not work and doing fuck all!

Smith looked shite up front in the first half, I don't remember one thing of note that he done.

He looked better in the second half from a deeper position but Barton will take that position when he's fit, better sub than Pattison though.

Teams will fear coming to SJP once again. With Barton, Smith, Taylor, Cacapa, Butt, Viduka and more arriving there will be no ponying about this year. Some good proper roll your socks up grit your teeth action all over the park!

One of the things i am looking forward to is seeing us firstly play well at St. james and get back to beating some of the shite teams who play in the prem, and secondly like you say,s eeing a toon team with soem fight and aggression about them. Putting ourselves about and not taking a backwards step, respecting the big teams but not in awe of them, being able to come backf rom behind and every now and then maybe giving somebody a right good hammering like we used to.

Amen to that, brother.

Smith looked shite up front in the first half, I don't remember one thing of note that he done.

He looked better in the second half from a deeper position but Barton will take that position when he's fit, better sub than Pattison though.

If he scores 30 goals in the first 10 games of the season you'll still say he's shit though.

If he scores 30 goals in the first 10 games of the season you'll still say he's shit though.

I didn't know you were so childish, Gol.

How is that childish? I just mean that you've already made your mind up on Smith, and nothing he does will change that. Correct?

How is that childish? I just mean that you've already made your mind up on Smith, and nothing he does will change that. Correct?

I've gave my opinion on him as a player similar to how I've done over all of our new signings, that doesn't mean my opinion can't change if he performs for us, the same way as my opinion could change to think Barton is a shit signing if he doesn't perform for us.

To say I'd still think he's shit if he scored 30 goals in the next 10 game is complete shite.

I've gave my opinion on him as a player similar to how I've done over all of our new signings, that doesn't mean my opinion can't change if he performs for us, the same way as my opinion could change to think Barton is a shit signing if he doesn't perform for us.

To say I'd still think he's shit if he scored 30 goals in the next 10 game is complete shite.

OK then; what do you need to see from Smith for your opinion of him to change? Obviously his pace will not increase too much, so what else can he do?

OK then; what do you need to see from Smith for your opinion of him to change? Obviously his pace will not increase too much, so what else can he do?

Depends where he plays.

If he's up front I want him to score goals as well as get assists, link the play up well and go about creating space for his strike partner.

If he's in midfield I don't want to see him giving stupid freekicks away because of reckless challenges, be involved in the build up play and look to work on his passing game, I want him to get past players and set up attacks, most important thing is to chip in with goals.

Personally I wouldn't have him anywhere near the starting 11 as I've seen nothing of him in the past 4 years to suggest he can do a job for us anywhere apart from the odd bright performance.