Southgate thinks it was an achievement to bid for Smith

TheMoog

From SSN:

Gareth Southgate feels it was an 'achievement' that Middlesbrough were close to signing Alan Smith.

The England striker has signed for Newcastle United from Manchester United and marked his Magpies debut with the winner against Sampdoria on Sunday.

But Smith also gave serious thought to a move to Middlesbrough, according to Riverside boss Southgate.

And the Boro manager has gleaned encouragement from his club's efforts to sign Smith as he looks to strengthen his squad before the start of the season.

Desperate to succeed

"I spoke with him and we were in there right until the very end," said Southgate in the Daily Mail.

"That was quite an achievement in that obviously we weren't offering the same transfer package as other teams who fell by the wayside much earlier.

"But Alan felt his career opportunities were better at Newcastle.

"We would ideally like to bring in a couple more players if we can.

"We have to cut our cloth accordingly and the gates we get will have an impact, so we are appealing to fans.

"We are desperate to succeed and we need the fans with us."

Is it just me that thinks Southgate should really just keep quiet about such things, makes me see him and Boro as more of a laughing stock than they already are.

Bizare statement for him to issue. I suppose he's just trying to lower fans expectations but judging by their season ticket sales they're pretty low to start with.

They could be in trouble this season with their current squad. Their defence is canny if they can keep Woody and Huth fit but unless Tuncay turns out to be a bit special, their midfield is poor and their attack is pretty weak too.

Can't think of much depth to their squad either, except for kids.

Bizare statement for him to issue. I suppose he's just trying to lower fans expectations but judging by their season ticket sales they're pretty low to start with.

They could be in trouble this season with their current squad. Their defence is canny if they can keep Woody and Huth fit but unless Tuncay turns out to be a bit special, their midfield is poor and their attack is pretty weak too.

Can't think of much depth to their squad either, except for kids.

aye. i think their season could rest on tuncay being as good as the hype around him

Their defence is canny if players are fit (which seems to be a fairly big if with Woodgate, Pogatez and Huff) and they seem to have some decent young uns (like Cattermole) but they don't have much else. I don't rate Boateng, Rochemback, Downing, Aliadiere or that Korean bloke so they've only got Yakubu and possibly Tuncay going forward that really offer them anything at all.