Flying bee-like creatures

Walliver

I was raking my lawn yesterday when I disturbed the home of some flying beasts.

They seemed quite docile like bees (rather than wasps/hornets) and they were quite furry like bees, too.

However, they were mainly orange and not very stripey and because their abode was in the ground and not in the air I don't think they are bees.

Any ideas what they might be? What should I do about them?

They seemed quite docile like bees (rather than wasps/hornets) and they were quite furry like bees, too.

However, they were mainly orange and not very stripey and because their abode was in the ground and not in the air I don't think they are bees.

Its probably a Tawny mining bee:

http://www.insectpix.net/Tawny_mining_bee.htm

I might be reading this the wrong way but that site suggests that the tawny mining bees live by themselves. Whatever I discovered had quite a few of the same monster in the same enclosure. The opening to their living space was a lot wider than the one shown in that picture and I didn't notice a mound of dirt (although it is possible that I had displaced that with my rake.

Edit: I'm also not sure that's what my winged-animal looked like. Mine were generally rounder and fluffier without the break underneath the wings.

Edited by Walliver

Wall

I was at my gfriends parents yesterday and we were sat on the lawn watching the cat messing, it then started looking at something, it went over to what we thought was ants. Then loads of these things you described came out of a hole in the lawn looking dazed. About 50 of em.

Wonder if it was harching time?

Judging by your use of the words Beast and Animal Im suspecting it may have been a Manticore? Did it have a lions head by anychance?

I might be reading this the wrong way but that site suggests that the tawny mining bees live by themselves. Whatever I discovered had quite a few of the same monster in the same enclosure. The opening to their living space was a lot wider than the one shown in that picture and I didn't notice a mound of dirt (although it is possible that I had displaced that with my rake.

Edit: I'm also not sure that's what my winged-animal looked like. Mine were generally rounder and fluffier without the break underneath the wings.

think you need to take a few pics wally

if you take any good'uns you can send it in to newsround or something :icon_lol:

Edited by zico martin

Hornets? :lol:

I always thought hornets were move like wasps. Am I wrong?

No, hornets are like big wasps.

Yup and fucking vicious bastards! I'd rather be stung by a wasp than a hornet! :rolleyes:

Hornets? :lol:

I always thought hornets were move like wasps. Am I wrong?

No, hornets are like big wasps.

Yup and fucking vicious bastards! I'd rather be stung by a wasp than a hornet! :blush:

qft...got stung by one last year...fucking knacks !!! :rolleyes:

I've been stung by both and a wasp sting is nowt by comparison....

the hornet sting delivers pain to a fucking massive area around where it actually stings you, at least the wasp sting is concentrated on one area....

Wall

I was at my gfriends parents yesterday and we were sat on the lawn watching the cat messing, it then started looking at something, it went over to what we thought was ants. Then loads of these things you described came out of a hole in the lawn looking dazed. About 50 of em.

Wonder if it was harching time?

Not hatching time, but flying (and shagging) time for new queens and reproductive males.

As to what to do I'd just leave them alone.

"Bumble bees" are now an endangered type of bee (3 species extinct and 9 threatened) and so lots of our bee species are having a hard time of it at the moment.

"Bumble bees" are now an endangered type of bee (3 species extinct and 9 threatened) and so lots of our bee species are having a hard time of it at the moment.

my Mam has a "nest" of them under her decking in the garden and she is not allowed to "smoke" them out ;)

my Mam has a "nest" of them under her decking in the garden and she is not allowed to "smoke" them out ;)

Cant she accidently spill 10 kettles full of boiling water or something?

my Mam has a "nest" of them under her decking in the garden and she is not allowed to "smoke" them out :)

Cant she accidently spill 10 kettles full of boiling water or something?

;)