Geremi Ready For Captain's Call

bawan

MAGPIES midfield star Geremi says he is ready to captain Newcastle United at Bolton this weekend after admitting it was an "honour" to skipper the Geordies in their last two games.

The Cameroon international wore the armband at Hull on Wednesday before leading the Magpies to victory in their final pre-season fixture against Sampdoria on Sunday.

And it now looks likely that the 28-year-old will again lead out the black and whites at the Reebok Stadium in Saturday's season-opener, a responsibility the former Chelsea ace admits he is relishing.

"It is a huge honour to captain a big club like Newcastle United, even for just one game," he said.

"But more importantly against Sampdoria, it was very important to win the game going into next week's game at Bolton.

"Of course I would like the job on a full-time basis and I feel I have the qualities to do that.

"It is important as a captain to lead the team inside and outside the dressing room and on and off the field.

"It is a full-time position and you have to take responsibility in all areas. I have done it for my country and I could do it here.

"It wouldn't be a big problem for me to do the job as captain.

"But the decision will be the manager's decision and his alone."

United new boys Alan Smith and Mark Viduka both made their Toon bows against the Serie A side, and Geremi says players of their quality are key if the club is to realise its undoubted potential.

"I was pleased with them both," he told the Evening Chronicle.

"You need great players like those two on your side if you want to do well.

"We have big ambitions this year and the aim is to club together very quickly."

Coped well with the added responsibility yesterday and was seen to communicate on the pitch to the others. Who knows what he is like elsewhere. Im open minded about this and wouldnt be strongly opposed.

If we're going for one of the new lads I've have gone for Cacapa maybe, seeing as he's had 5 years experience captaining Lyon at the highest levels... depends how good his English is though I guess.

I cant decide who i want to be as Captain. I feel it should be Shay but i would prefer an outfield player to have it. The only other option i could think of is Nobby but im not sure if he will be playing every game this year as he is pressing on in terms of age. So i think it would be best if one of the new signings took it as i cant see any other real captain options out there. Having said that i still think a rotation of the armband wouldnt be a bad idea either...

If we're going for one of the new lads I've have gone for Cacapa maybe, seeing as he's had 5 years experience captaining Lyon at the highest levels... depends how good his English is though I guess.
think he said hid English is not very good, but will try hard to learn it.

Will he be in the first-team anyway?

also Rozenhal can speak four languages apparently, so English might be one. He's certainly looked up to it in the friendlies.

Edited by TheInspiration

I was initially 100% for Taylor to be captain but now I tihnk Geremi is the best choice. His attitude at chelsea although not playing the amount of games he would have liked to was superb. Never complained, just got on happily with the job he is paid to do. I remember Jose reserving some special praise for him a few weeks ago (although he said the same for Duff and Parker!) and I respect Jose's judgment when dealing with his players as they respect him so much.

Communication is so very important as a captain, this is what I saw Parker not doing enough of. The fact that Geremi can speak all those different languages makes a big difference for me. He also seems a very amicable character (much like Jay-Jay Okocha) and seems to live his life respectably off the pitch.

I don't know who should be the next captain but whoever Sam chooses I will support 100%. Sam has been saying and more importantly doing all the right things since he has come here and I trust his decisions more than any manager we have had since Keegan.

I'm waiting for a "The captain should be a Geordie" article from Oliver with some shite about it being Shepherd's final wish.

I'd be happy with Geremi - should always be a centre-half or CM imo.

Coped well with the added responsibility yesterday and was seen to communicate on the pitch to the others. Who knows what he is like elsewhere. Im open minded about this and wouldnt be strongly opposed.

Thats something we didnt see from past captains, especially Parker, and dare I say it? Shearer at times was a little quiet. Terry is a great example of a captain.

How well does Geremi speak and understand English?

Communication is a key part of being a team captain, understanding instructions and game-plans from the coaches and verbally motivating the players on the pitch are a big part of being a captain.

Well he's been living in England for 5 years and English in one of the official languages of Cameroon so I'd imagine he's fairly proficient in the language.

Edited by ewerk

Indeed. A captain needs to lead by example as well and inspire those around him to perform. I honestly don't know who it should be.

Will Geremi have the respect of the others even though he's only been there 5 mins? Training sessions between now and Bolton will decide I guess.

Dunno what to make of it to be honest. I thought if we'd give it to a new player it would go to Joey Barton, but I don't know how well he'd communicate from HMP Slade as he shares a cell with Norman Stanley Fletcher....

I don't think a keeper should have it and I think Owen is too passive to take it. Nicky Butt and Nobby probably won't feature much so their out the picture and Taylor is too young. I'll have to see Geremi wear the armband more before I decide whether he's a worthy captain or not.

Guest Patrokles
seems an odd choice to me like.

Why? Our best pre-season player, plays in the middle of the park, wealth of experience, international captain...

Guest Patrokles

Communication is a key part of being a team captain, understanding instructions and game-plans from the coaches and verbally motivating the players on the pitch are a big part of being a captain.

We know you're getting on a bit, but it's not the 50s any more! Being African doesn't automatically mean 'Mistah Allardyce- he dead.'

We know you're getting on a bit, but it's not the 50s any more! Being African doesn't automatically mean 'Mistah Allardyce- he dead.'

CHOMP!

Guest Patrokles

CHOMP!

He wasn't fishing. This is Noelie, here.

CHOMP!

He wasn't fishing. This is Noelie, here.

Yeh man i know but you two have had your handbags are dawn the past couple of days :icon_lol:

Might of known there would be an idiotic posting from Patrokles in response to mine.

There are 5 colours of race listed in books, Brown, Black, Red. Yellow, & White, and frankly I don't care what colour the team captain is as long as he proudly wears Black n' White and lacks nothing in the way of communication skills. If a team captain talks or yells at you be it a criticism, an encouragement, or advice, you need to understand him and not have to ask someone "What did he say"

Might of known there would be an idiotic posting from Patrokles in response to mine.

There are 5 colours of race listed in books, Brown, Black, Red. Yellow, & White, and frankly I don't care what colour the team captain is as long as he proudly wears Black n' White and lacks nothing in the way of communication skills. If a team captain talks or yells at you be it a criticism, an encouragement, or advice, you need to understand him and not have to ask someone "What did he say"

Fairly obvious that won't be the case with Geremi I'd have thought.

Guest Patrokles

More idiotic surely to suggest that Geremi, who speaks several languages, wouldn't be able to communicate as well with a multi-national squad as, say, Joey Barton, who I'm fairly sure only speaks scouse.