is everyone happy ahead of the bolton game?

Dr Gloom

On the topic:

I am really optimistic about the new season. Like many of you i was a little afraid a week or so ago, but the singings in defence are really encouraging. Plus we have the best english manager, a good tactician, and who proved he can bring the best out of his squad.

Can't wait for Bolton!

Actually what is worrying me most of all now (apart from maybe injuries) is McClaren screwing up England and the FA coming in for Allardyce.

That's a danger. I hope Sam is pissed of with the FA for not choosing him after SGE, so he wouldn't take the job, but it's only a guess.

I'm much happier than 12 months ago. I think another defender or two would be ideal (centre-back & right-back). If I could sign one type of player in addition to that it would be a quality attacking midfielder / playmaker type. I think someone like that would make a top 4/6 push far more realistic.

I'm a lot happier now than I was a week or so ago, before we brought in the last crop of signing (before that squad was paper thin even without Europe this year).

But yeah, just like last season we still need a quality attacking/playmaking midfielder, if we're looking at Europe anyway (and yeah probably a little bit more defensively too).

Having said that considering it has effectively been almost a complete team rebuilding off-season, I don't think we can really complain now if this is all we get.

That's it. Allardyce had a massive task imo. Could you imagine Roeder trying to get the players in he has? New contract for Bramble would probably have been part of his solution. The manager has done very well in difficult circumstances I think.

Totally agree but I can't help feeling a 'great' start to the season is imperative, that means don't lose a game in our first 6 and win at least 4 of them. The fans would be right behind the new regime then....happy days

A good start is vital. We've been given a fixture list that provides a very good chance to get off to a flyer (though away to Bolton is a tough opener) and if we do start well, coupled with some good performances at home the crowd will be behidnd the team and that in turn can only help.

Sam has done a great job in turning the squad round by shifting a load of players and replacing them, all on a small budget compared to some clubs this season. If he can then also get alot more out of the players already here it'll be a completely different NUFC we watch this season.

It can be a really good season next year with a bit of luck and a few less injuries compared to normal! The top 4 are out of reach as usual, Spurs it remains to be seen, they always get hyped up by the cockney media but in all those years, last season is the first time they ever lived up to any of it, so don't rule out them cocking up again.

Other than those teams, its all up for grabs if we do the business at home and actually battle away from home rather than rolling over and giving up every week!

are you happier than you were this time last season?

No but that's because I'm a miserable bastard....

is the squad big enough?

I'd say upfront and in midfield we've got options coming out of our arse, but we could do with a right back and another experienced centre half just to round the squad up nicely.

do you expect us to challenge for more with the new players and the new manager than we did under roeder and souness?

I'd say we will improve tenfold under Sam Allerdyce maybe not this season but definitely next. I've been impressed with everyone he's signed apart from T'Alan Smith (prove me wrong smudger you Yorkshire ****) Allerdyce not only seems to be able to wheel and deal in the transfer market, but also has the tactical awareness unlike messers Souness and Roeder. I like his views on getting players fit (you hear that Greame?) and getting them motivated, but my ultimate question is why wait until now and why not 3/4 year ago.

how many players short are we from challenging the top 4-6?

I'd say we'll finish top 10 this season, but to challenge the top six we need to get about 4 players in and get rid of some of the dross like Steven Carr.

do you expect any more arrivals before the window closes?

I think another centre half is on the cards. Apart from that I'm happy with the options we've got elsewhere. I'd worry if he tries to sign too many players he'll rock the boat (*cough* West 'aaaam *cough*)

if you could sign one player or type of player who or what would it be?

A week ago I would have probably said a centre half with a lot of experience but this Kapa bloke or whatever he's called from Lyon should sort that out. Brazilian international Champions league and all that. He sounds just the ticket, so I'll say a world class right back.

Got to be happier than last season, it doesn't take much though. Having said that I can remember being excited about Martins and Duff coming in, although it ended as a bit of a false dawn with a lack of defensive improvements.

is the squad big enough?

Allardyce has, for me, improved the squad across the board. There a plenty of options to play different ways, and if everyone stays fit, we should have enough. Even though we haven't increased the numbers as I originally thought necessary we have bought versatility and I think that's what counts. Then again, if we have injuries like last term then the squad will never be big enough.

do you expect us to challenge for more with the new players and the new manager than we did under roeder and souness?

I don't expect us to win anything, no. I do expect more of a battling spirit in games though, and if we can couple that with a bit of verve and ingenuity, and just bloody well get the basics right I'll be much happier than the last few seasons. The new manager also gives us something we haven't seen at St James for many a moon, and that's a tactician who can see what's working and more importantly what's not, and with the players at his disposal, do something about rather than expect the players to do it themselves.

God knows. The league is in a state of flux at the moment. That top 6 could be anyone from about 13 teams. I think it comes down more to how we are set up to play each opposition rather than being lacking a certain player. I do believe however to crack into the upper echelons we will need a classy right back, another left footed defender, of obvious class, and exceptional passer in the centre of the park and world class centre forward, and a great crosser of the ball to hit his man every time. So I'll say five.

Maybe a left footed defender will come in to cover left back/centre half. Bringing in defenders is a tricky thing though, defense is the one area for me that you don't want to be changing personel willy nilly. We need a settled back four and buying defenders who are just going to make up the numbers in the reserves is pointless as you end up with poorer quality. The left back we have brought in is just a young un as well, and if he is going to be our first choice, then his back up will probably not get a look in for a good few years, injuries permitting. So unless it's an even younger player they'll be unlikely to want to do that if they're of any real quality.

Probably a ball playing defensive midfielder, or maybe a trciky pacy right winger who can cross the ball.

Im much much happier than this time last season. Then we had a depleted squad which was only beefed up by the arrival of Le Sib and Bernard at the last minute though was keen to see what Martins was about. This time I reckon we are starting to show depth up front and in midfield and we have started adding quality and some depth to the defence. I think we're looking stronger and will be harder to beat. I also think we have more "winners" in the side now. Too many times last season when things were tough, players would disappear. I reckon the likes of Smith & Geremi would grab the game by the scruff of the neck when needed.

I also have alot more faith in Sam than I ever did in anyone since Bobby. The club structure is changing on and off the field and this can only be good moving forward.

To get into the top 6, Id see us invest in the academy to add more quality, signing some more young players as well as developing our own local kids. But Owen's fitness needs to be addressed and toughened up to get him on the pitch more than he is off. A new right back and maybe 2 if we eventually ship Carr on, a centre half to add more competition there as well as another LB. It seems Enrique is young and we'd need another LB to challenge for that spot.

On the comments above:

are you happier than you were this time last season? - Yup

is the squad big enough? - Almost, its getting there. Id like to see a couple more options at the back.

do you expect us to challenge for more with the new players and the new manager than we did under roeder and souness? - Yes

how many players short are we from challenging the top 4-6? - Need a year of playing together as a team, then re-evaluate when we see what effect the new players have had. Id expect maybe needing a new forward, creative midfielder, centre half, left back and right back. However, its very possible with a bit of luck our current squad could make 6th.

do you expect any more arrivals before the window closes? - Maybe one centre half?

if you could sign one player or type of player who or what would it be? - Without knowing much about Enrique, Id say a RB unless he really wasnt ready yet then a LB.

Yes, of course. I think a lot of people are getting carried away though. There have been many clubs restructuring in the off season, we've seen nothing from our side in a competitive match, we've no idea how the new defense will adapt to life in the premiership and this (for me ) is critical.

is the squad big enough?

I'd still want more depth across the board. But that will come, He needs to find replacements for the deadwood (hopefully Sam will get shot of Carr, Pattison, Dyer and I think Ameobi has to go too) and bulk out the wide areas, up front and a spark in midfield or two as well.

This is a side who could genuinely challenge for one of the minor competitions (Carling Cup and maybe the FA) but we are some way off the top 5. I don't agree we're a shoe in for 6th spot. This optimism we're all feeling could prove a false hope, we've got no idea how Sam will play, no idea who will adapt, who will shine and what injuries we'll endure.

Top 4? about three years and about 7 players I'd say. We've got to remember that Chelsea have at their disposal two world class centre halves, an awesome midifeld and a staggeringly effective (if not particularly dazzling) forward line plus probably the best keeper in the world. Man U have skill in abundance, a top rate defensive partnership The most dangerous winger on the planet and match winners throughout the team. Liverpool are stoic in defense and have now signed a genuine striker, the one they've been missing since Fowler and Owen were in their pomp.

we're some way off those three and I haven't even mentione Arsenal, Spurs and Blackburn who've all had a headstart on us.

Honestly? no, I reckon we'll have to wait until January now. We've had our clearout and brought in fresh faces, there's no point buying for buyins sake and we'll need to see how this team fairs before we spend more money on the finishing touches. We've bought soundly but those foundations may not be what we thought we were getting. Patience Grasshopper

I'd want a stylish creative central midfielder. Deco and Riquelme have been mentioned (often as an exemplar rather than genuine target, but this mould of player is the cherry on the cake and first and ofremost we need a strong spine for the team.

Edited by The Fish