Organisational ideas

Walliver

As I've probably mentioned elsewhere, I'm moving house at the moment.

Previously I've had all my CDs, books and DVDs organised alphabetically (CDs and books by author, DVD by titles) but I want a bit of a change.

So far, I've begun by putting my clothes and DVDs in by colour, my books in by height and I think I'm going to do my CDs by title.

How does everyone else organise things? Any hot tips?

:icon_lol:

I was thinking about doing CDs by date but I've got a few problems.

If I do them by date purchased, what is the second qualifying factor? Sometimes I buy a few CDs at the same time - in that case which goes higher? Also, a lot of the CDs I can't remember exactly when I bought them.

If I did them by date released I'd have to check each/nearly every CD and find out when it was released. I think that could be very time consuming.

Don't think books by height is very good. You might have a hardback and a paper back of the same novel and they would be at different ends. :lol:

Alphabetical by artist/writer/film name, then chronological for me.

Don't think books by height is very good. You might have a hardback and a paper back of the same novel and they would be at different ends. :lol:

Alphabetical by artist/writer/film name, then chronological for me.

I don't think I own two copies of the same book. But if I did, I don't see why having it in two places would be a bad idea. If I have two copies of it I must like it a lot so having it at separate ends would make it more likely to be spotted when I browse for something to read.

I don't have a lass to count hairs on. But I have noticed that my back is starting to get hairy. :rolleyes:

Maybe not so much the same novel then, just think height is no way to sort books. :rolleyes:

About as useful as him sorting DVDs by colour, ffs. :lol:

Or CDs by shape!

Aye but surely it must be a nightmare trying to find the DVD you're looking for unless you remember the colour of every one?

I'm not Lazurus, I don't need a dewey decimal system for thousands upon thousands of DVDs.

See, Happy face has the right idea; it's all about presentation. My various collections aren't huge so it wouldn't take me long to find something and normally when I want something to watch/read/listen to I would scan my collection until something jumped out at me.

See, Happy face has the right idea; it's all about presentation. My various collections aren't huge so it wouldn't take me long to find something and normally when I want something to watch/read/listen to I would scan my collection until something jumped out at me.

I must know the colour of the spine of 99% of my books, cd's and dvds' so it wasn't hard to find anything. The whole effect is ruined by the Simpsons DVD's which are different colours every season. :lol:

I also went through a period of splitting my DVD's into foreign and English speaking. The rules are that a bedtime DVD must be English speaking (or Amelie) so there's no point even looking through a couple of hundred of them to make a choice.