Allardyce defends Dyer stance

bawan

Sam Allardyce has defended Newcastle's decision to block Kieron Dyer's move to West Ham.

Dyer had been on the point of moving to Upton Park after the clubs agreed a fee of £5million up front plus a further £1million depending on appearances.

But Newcastle then decided they had under-valued the England man and demanded a further £2million, prompting Alan Curbishley to call the deal off.

The Hammers are still reportedly keen to sign Dyer, but boss Allardyce says he will remain a Newcastle player until the Londoners stump up the additional £2m.

"In the end, we decided he was under-valued. We escalated the valuation to what we thought was realistic and West Ham did not want to roll with it," explained Allardyce.

"Kieron is back with us, a top player with a squad who are growing.

"Will it be difficult for Kieron? It's life, isn't it? He has got a contract. You sign it. The length of the contract means you are employed by an employer, something happens, it doesn't work, you come back and get on with it.

"If anything else happens in terms of West Ham increasing their offer, then great. If they don't then clearly they don't value him as highly as we do."

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

as it stands we look pretty ameuter. some clarification on the speculation regarding the reason we asked for more cash at the last minute would be nice.

as it stands, i'm happy for dyer to remain at the club in terms of what he offers as a player - his pace compliments our squad nicely. whether he can stay or whether the fans will put up with him is another matter

Doubtful. People still hate his guts.

Pathetic if they do...

If he's wearing our shirt, he's our player and should get the full support of the fans.

Pathetic if they do...

If he's wearing our shirt, he's our player and should get the full support of the fans.

I agree with the principle, but if there's anyone who's tested the limits of that principle to the max, it's Dyer.

Pathetic if they do...

I agree with the principle, but if there's anyone who's tested the limits of that principle to the max, it's Dyer.

Oh I quite agree and he's far from my favourite player at the club, but I can't see what positive benefit that sort of attitude would have on the club as a whole.

Rose tinted specs off for a minute. Im we bid 6mil for upson, had it accepted, spent all day agreeing personal terms, put him through and passed a medical, went to put pen to paper and then west ham said, actually, we changed our minds we want 8mil. There would be fucking hell on!

Curbishley did the right thing in telling us to fuck off.

Pathetic if they do...

I still think it is a bit of a poor mob mentality. He might be the prototype of a spoilt brat. But so seem to me those knobheads who felt the need to boo him against Juve and then attack his car and house. Hypocrisy perchance?

Also for the repetitive comments about him being constantly in the papers for all the wrong reasons. How often has this actually happened? And when have they in fact warranted the great level of hatred? The infamous "holiday video", his car crash and the uncondonable action of pissing in the street? And there were the indirect involvements in the Grosvenor incident/nonsense and the Bowyer punch-up. His biggest - and imho only real fault - was the Middlesbrough incident, which was in fact really football related.

I don't doubt that Dyer is in fact a spoilt brat. He should have been sold a long time ago and never have got a new even improved contract. He was over most of the time overpaid and underperforming. But so are a lot of footballers nowadays. Imho the criticism is way over the top and those people not being able to forgive are as spoilt as Dyer tbh.

Edited by Isegrim

Rose tinted specs off for a minute. Im we bid 6mil for upson, had it accepted, spent all day agreeing personal terms, put him through and passed a medical, went to put pen to paper and then west ham said, actually, we changed our minds we want 8mil. There would be fucking hell on!

Difficult to argue with that. I agree with Isegrim too.

Pathetic if they do...

I still think it is a bit of a poor mob mentality. He might be the prototype of a spoilt brat. But so seem to me those knobheads who felt the need to boo him against Juve and then attack his car and house. Hypocrisy perchance?

Also for the repetitive comments about him being constantly in the papers for all the wrong reasons. How often has this actually happened? And when have they in fact warranted the great level of hatred? The infamous "holiday video", his car crash and the uncondonable action of pissing in the street? And there were the indirect involvements in the Grosvenor incident/nonsense and the Bowyer punch-up. His biggest - and imho only real fault - was the Middlesbrough incident, which was in fact really football related.

I don't doubt that Dyer is in fact a spoilt brat. He should have been sold a long time ago and never have got a new even improved contract. He was over most of the time overpaid and underperforming. But so are a lot of footballers nowadays. Imho the criticism is way over the top and those people not being able to forgive are as spoilt as Dyer tbh.

Aye give him another chance (his 10th?) and another pay rise, it's not his fault after all, and his poor widdle feelings might be hurt. :rolleyes:

If he wasn't any good at football he'd be struggling to empty bins, he's had an immensely privileged life and broadly squandered it for purely self-absorbed reasons. (I'd even go so far as to suggest his lifestyle and injuries have to a large degree gone hand in hand)

Whilst I wouldn't say banging on his car and pelting his house with eggs is constructive or sensible behaviour, but Dyer has brought it ALL on himself with his behaviour over the years.

But yeah, all he really needs is (yet) another chance, some more understanding and of course the obligatory pay rise. :lol:

Pathetic if they do...

Aye give him another chance (his 10th?) and another pay rise, it's not his fault after all, and his poor widdle feelings might be hurt. :rolleyes:

If he wasn't any good at football he'd be struggling to empty bins, he's had an immensely privileged life and broadly squandered it for purely self-absorbed reasons. (I'd even go so far as to suggest his lifestyle and injuries have to a large degree gone hand in hand)

Whilst I wouldn't say banging on his car and pelting his house with eggs is constructive or sensible behaviour, but Dyer has brought it ALL on himself with his behaviour over the years.

But yeah, all he really needs is (yet) another chance, some more understanding and of course the obligatory pay rise. :lol:

See, I don't really disagree with most of this. But how do booing, egg throwing and not giving him another chance make things any better?

who cares that he's an overpaid tosser who wears too much bling?

when he's been fit, he's been one of our best players and i think he'll provide good competition for places in midfield.

i'd be happy for dyer to stay at the club if the boo boys can get over it. who cares that he wanted to go? as long as he does a job on the pitch who gives a shit?

I jsut find the pack mentality a bit daft. You see kids on NO hammer him despite having never been to SJP. Others rarely do and say stupid things like 'without his pace....' :lol:

I just can't get that worked up about it. The nonsense about his wages just smacks of petty minded jealousy tbh. I'll happily say goodbye to him when we don't have the one-paced midfield we had on Sunday. Until then he is the only one with any real acceleration to stretch defences and let the others make use of that space. At present we have James Milner slowing everything to a standstill then booting the ball into the stands. A central midfield of good players who are very similar. We need something different. Sadly for us, he is the only one with those characteristics and the loons will ensure we don't get the best from him.

Sam knows he needs replacing. That will only happen if he leaves, obviously. If he doesnt then its best to make use of him.

Difficult to argue with that. I agree with Isegrim too.

And we know how that makes you crazy. :lol:

I think we did the right thing in making things costly for West Ham because (iyam) they are premier league opposition and a team who've shown they're not afraid of spending some money.

The way I see it that we don't need the cash, he's a good player and will at the very least provide another option in midfield. I'm guessing that BS has identified a weakness in the squad, a hole that Dyer can plug. We can still sell him in January, hopefully by then we'll see how the new players will take to the club, how the new system (if there is one) will make use of the players we have.

I'm not surprised Curbishley has told us to do one after we yank away the offered handshake to comb a hand through our hair, giving a hearty "ahhhhhhhh" as we do it.

I'm content for him to stay, I think it's stupid to boo your own players unless their performance is truly and persistantly offensive (see Souness' reign :rolleyes: ), If we don't boo Carr's every touch we shouldn't boo Dyer's.

Pathetic if they do...

See, I don't really disagree with most of this. But how do booing, egg throwing and not giving him another chance make things any better?

They don't, but equally he's brought it on himself.

The question (if he stays) is whether he sulks, offers yet another meaningless platitude and then lets us down (again), or if he digs and and gets on with what he is paid exceedingly well to do.

If he puts in some decent performances he won't be getting booed or eggs thrown at his house.

I'll be happy to have him back as long as he gets on with it, works hard and helps the team. He's different to the rest of our midfilders and offers something else and i think he's a player who would really benefit from playing under Big Sam.

The risk is that he really doesn't wnat to be here and the usual fuckwitts will give him shit every match he plays in. It never seems to occur to these people that as a supporter NUFC comes first and you back them for 90 mins and try to lift them to win, not act like little kids booing players and basically helping the opposition.

If you hate Dyer, fair enough, but why showing that is more important to these people than supporting the team is beyond me.

Its up to Dyer, he's doen it before, where he had half the ground giving him hell, and that time he didn't hide, he worked hard, looked for the ball and steadilly got better and the fans eventually let it go. It'll be difficult, but he can do it again if he has the right attitude. Mind you if i was Big Sam i'd start Dyer in an away match first, if he can play and have a stormer that would help before facing the home crowd!

Pathetic if they do...

They don't, but equally he's brought it on himself.

The question (if he stays) is whether he sulks, offers yet another meaningless platitude and then lets us down (again), or if he digs and and gets on with what he is paid exceedingly well to do.

If he puts in some decent performances he won't be getting booed or eggs thrown at his house.

This "brought it on himself" is utter drivel and nonsense imho. It's a lame excuse for people who act themselves like utter spoilt brats. I guess most of those who hold the moral high ground concerning the behaviour of modern football players would act in exactly the same way if given the same chances and wages. I agree with gram, it looks like a large extent of jealousy.

Does anyone know why we increased the asking price by 2 million?

I heard a rumour from someone who works at St James (I know I know...) but they reckon the reason was because he's played for us for 8 years he was entitled to a 2 million 'loyalty' bonus and Newcastle weren't prepared to pay that so they wanted West 'aaam to pay it and tacked on another two million when the deal stalled and the plug was pulled. Anyone know if theres any truth in this?

This "brought it on himself" is utter drivel and nonsense imho. It's a lame excuse for people who act themselves like utter spoilt brats. I guess most of those who hold the moral high ground concerning the behaviour of modern football players would act in exactly the same way if given the same chances and wages. I agree with gram, it looks like a large extent of jealousy.

Utter rubbish.

There's plenty of examples of players covered in riches that behave in a decent and controlled way. Dyer is just not one of them.

If he were he wouldn't be getting booed or eggs thrown at his house for wanting to be with his kids (if that really is the reason), but he's not and he long term behaviour HAS brought it on himself and he has no one else to blame for the situation but himself.

I do rather enjoy your moronic pseudo-psychobabble that Dyer's behaviour is fine because I'm apparently "jealous" though (am I "jealous" of Bellamy too? And why exactly am I not "jealous" of Shearer or Given or the other myriad players that act properly?). That's clearly one for the textbooks. :lol: