Best Years Still To Come: Smith

bawan

ALAN Smith believes he is a stronger player both mentally and physically after bouncing back from his career-threatening injury and says his best years are still to come.

The 26-year-old dislocated his ankle and broke his leg during an FA Cup tie at Anfield in early 2006, but battled back to play his part in Man Utd's Premiership triumph last season.

And, having completed a move to Tyneside from Old Trafford last week, the England star says he cannot wait for the season to get started with his horror injury now all but a distant memory.

"When I looked down, the leg was lying one way and my ankle was pointing towards Hong Kong, so I knew I was in serious trouble," said the player who marked his Toon debut with the only goal against Sampdoria on Sunday.

"But the injury is done and dusted and everything is fine now.

"I played plenty of reserve-team games last season and then in the first team, and got through pre-season training with Manchester United, so I am ready and fully recovered.

"I just cannot wait for the season to start properly now.

"It has done a lot for my mental toughness, of course it has. A lot of people questioned if I would be able to come back from that injury, and I have proved that they were wrong to say that."

After signing, Smith revealed to Newcastle World TV that as soon as he had spoken to Magpies manager Sam Allardyce he was sold on a move to St.James'.

And the former Leeds forward is delighted to have joined the Big Sam revolution at Gallowgate.

"I am just glad to be playing for a manager who really wanted me," he added.

"I know what this club wants to achieve, and he wants me to be a big part of what he wants to do here.

"I am here with my best years in front of me and that is why it was a big decision.

"A lot of last season I was out with injury and I wanted to come somewhere that I could come and play the full season and now I'm raring to go."

His leg and ankle cant be 100% though can it?

His leg for sure can be 100% and I speak from experience. Got my leg broken going into a sliding tackle in 1959, the fibula & tibula were both broken, the large bone was cleanly broken but the small one was in pieces and I spent 9 months in a thigh-high cast after having a stainless steel pin put down the middle of the large bone where the marrow is. In 18 months I was back playing again as good as new albeit I had a pin in my leg, only difference was I was a little more cautious when I went into a tackle, but I still made the tackles and was 100% on my game.

Not sure about the ankle though, the ankle is an unknown factor. Sometimes an ankle injury can be a problem for the rest of your life just as a knee injury can.

A broken bone however can actually become stronger where the break is because of calcium build-up around the break, not likely a bone will ever break in the same place because of the healing process, maybe above it or below it but not in the same place.

Dr.Noelie.

His leg for sure can be 100% and I speak from experience. Got my leg broken going into a sliding tackle in 1959, the fibula & tibula were both broken, the large bone was cleanly broken but the small one was in pieces and I spent 9 months in a thigh-high cast after having a stainless steel pin put down the middle of the large bone where the marrow is. In 18 months I was back playing again as good as new albeit I had a pin in my leg, only difference was I was a little more cautious when I went into a tackle, but I still made the tackles and was 100% on my game.

Not sure about the ankle though, the ankle is an unknown factor. Sometimes an ankle injury can be a problem for the rest of your life just as a knee injury can.

A broken bone however can actually become stronger where the break is because of calcium build-up around the break, not likely a bone will ever break in the same place because of the healing process, maybe above it or below it but not in the same place.

Dr.Noelie.

Yes but you would have had the protection of all that padding and a helmet :lol:

Dr.Noelie.

Yes but you would have had the protection of all that padding and a helmet :lol:

A broken bone will come back stronger for the reasons already listed, however a dislocation will weaken the joint and the chance for repeat injury goes up (I know this as being a snowboarder I have dislocated most joints in my body) infact still injuried after dislocating my knee and ankle (and rupturing 3 ligaments in the ankle) in march - a break is much better than a dislocation to someone whos in sports

I've fucked both my knee and ankle ligaments in my right leg. The knee during a match and the ankle whilst shit-faced. After physio on both I'm back to where I was with no ill-affects.

My mate broke his ankle fairly badly during a match and it'll never get back to 90% the doctor said.