Duff hails Allardyce impact

bawan

Damien Duff feels Sam Allardyce has already had a positive influence at Newcastle.

Allardyce has made seven signings since being appointed Magpies boss at the start of the summer, bringing in three defenders, two strikers, midfielder Joey Barton and the versatile Geremi.

Duff, who is expected to be sidelined until November with a foot injury, believes Allardyce's signings have been well balanced and is confident Newcastle will improve on last season's 13th place.

"It's what the club needed, I think from top to bottom, a fresh start," Duff said on Sky Sports News.

"Sam's come in and I think we'll definitely improve from last year, we have to.

"He's no mug and he knows what the club needs. He's done it at both ends."

Duff also admits it was important for Newcastle to keep hold of Michael Owen, who missed virtually all of last season through injury and was then linked with a move away in the summer.

"He's England's best striker in my view and now we just need to get him back fit and scoring goals," said Duff.

duff can open his mouth after he's put in a performance worthy of the shirt tbh

I think Allardyce is the type of manager who'll be able to get the most out of a player like Duff. There's no doubt his time at Chelsea damaged him, hopefully Big Sam can get his confidence back up.

Duff, for me, has to be the most dissapointing signing we've had in an age. Admittedly he's had a few injuries, but when he came in I was genuinely excited about getting a real, talented, consistent, class winger and we haven't seen any of it.

Duff, for me, has to be the most dissapointing signing we've had in an age. Admittedly he's had a few injuries, but when he came in I was genuinely excited about getting a real, talented, consistent, class winger and we haven't seen any of it.

Injuries here and lack of games before he came here didn't help. With any luck he can be turned around and effectively be like a new signing.

It's weird, I've closely watched Duff play for years. Him and Owen in the same team should scare the shit out of the opposition, it's never worked for us though.

If we can get Duff on form we have an excellent player on our books.

Duff, Owen and Luque are 3 players who, at one time or another, I've actually forgotten were at the Toon. If 2 out of those 3 could be performing at something like their best it would make a big difference to the attacking options we have.

I'm pretty sure Duff can be turned around (assuming one of his recent injuries hasn't had bad long term effects), I don't think Duff was ever genuinely 100% match fit last season, and even if he was at very rare times, he was so long out of practice that he was never going to be that sharp.

This really should be an area where Allardyce is going to excel (I hope).

I reckon Duff suffered a wee bit due to having a shite LB behind him.

If XXXL Sam wants to play 4-3-3 then Duff would probably be in the forward 3 (?) and, therefore, be able to concentrate a bit more on his game, thus imroving.

As for the most disappointing signing in recent times, I have to give that accolade to Luque.

I think Allardyce is the type of manager who'll be able to get the most out of a player like Duff. There's no doubt his time at Chelsea damaged him, hopefully Big Sam can get his confidence back up.

Duff was class at Chelsea....

Quite exactly. Anything coming out of Duff's mouth either positive or not will be met with strong :lol::rolleyes::blush:

It's weird, I've closely watched Duff play for years. Him and Owen in the same team should scare the shit out of the opposition, it's never worked for us though.

To be fair, there's not really be the opportunity yet though, has there?

If XXXL Sam wants to play 4-3-3 then Duff would probably be in the forward 3 (?) and, therefore, be able to concentrate a bit more on his game, thus imroving.

Correct. He played on the left of a front three when he first went to Chelsea. They looked dynamite mixing and matching Duff/Robben, Mutu/Drogba and Joe Cole that season.

To be fair, there's not really be the opportunity yet though, has there?

Nope, which is the frustrating thing. You have one of the best strikers in the league and one of the best wingers in the league.

Have they even played in the same team?