Bolton Wanderers vs NUFC

Matty

Only 2 days away now! :lol:

Anyone off here making the journey for the match?

I didn't get any tickets for the away end so I shall be in the home end, right next to the away fans though...not sure if that's a good thing or not though....

Prediction - BWFC 0- 2 NUFC

• Replies 218
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Only 2 days away now! :lol:

Anyone off here making the journey for the match?

I didn't get any tickets for the away end so I shall be in the home end, right next to the away fans though...not sure if that's a good thing or not though....

Prediction - BWFC 0- 2 NUFC

i will be there - ticket came yesterday :-)

Prediction - BWFC 1-3 Toon :rolleyes:

Guest stevieintoon

I've got my money on Bolton Wanderers 1 Newcastle United 3, BSA will know exactly what tactics to employ, he'll be a gaping hole for Bolton, and I feel Sammy Lee has as much charisma as someone like Howard Wilkinson, Bolton doon within 2 seasons.

Bolton 1 Toon 3 25/1 at Lads 5a

Geremi first goal 22/1 at Corals 5a

Howay The Toon.

Not confident, I'm going for 1-1

I know people are excited about this season, but they've surely got to temper that optimism with the fact we've not seen our new team in a competitive game

Guest stevieintoon
Not confident, I'm going for 1-1

I know people are excited about this season, but they've surely got to temper that optimism with the fact we've not seen our new team in a competitive game

Yorkshire people are always pessimistic, have faith. Genuinely we will win this game 1-3, I rarely have feelings about games, but when I do I'm normally right, in my heart I think we'll win 1-3, we're so slick on the break, we have steel in the middle, am bursting with positivity about the toon at the minute, and I'm not frightened of Bolton.

I'm From Blyth mate, just live down here.

I genuinely have stacks of optimism for the rest of the games, this one just doesn't fill me with confidence.

There are too many stories and subplots going on for my liking

Big Sam's return to Bolton, the new look back line, the new chairmans first game, the new Managers first competitive match, add to that the obscene volume of positive thinking coming from from us at the minute.

I'm just expecting to come back to reality with a bump. I don't think Bolton are a great side, but I fear thoughts of challenging for Europe are a little premature. I'll be happy with a draw and a good performance.

I'm at work so i'm going to have to spend the whole day standing at the Sound and Vision section.

I fancy a 2-0 win to us, Viduka and Smith

Not sure of the score but i quite fancy a win as well with Viduka and Smith likely amongs the goals. I'm going to go with a 2-1 win!

i think we'll do well to get a draw personally. it's a difficult place to go and get a result at.

mind you, a win there would set us up nicely for a good start to the season for once - our first month isn't looking that bad.

We never start the season well so lets hope this is a change, I would imagine a 1-1 draw. Don't see Bolton doing much this season under little Sam.

As for the line-up, hard to know really. 4-4-2 maybe, Harps, Carr, Rozehnal, Tayls, Zoggy/Ramage, Milner, Geremi, Butt/Smith, Nobby, Viduka, Martins/Smith.

Lee Ryder's take on it

Has Big Sam got the big boot on the other foot now?

Trips to the Reebok Stadium aren't usually kind to Newcastle United.

Reeling off the list of defeats at Bolton in the past few years is too depressing to kick the new season off, so instead, picture this.

Newcastle United winning at Bolton and beating them at their own game in their own backyard.

Judging by Newcastle's promising pre-season programme, it doesn't look like Allardyce intends giving it the big boot.

But he has also said since coming as boss that he will play horses for courses and if the need arises, try to beat the opposition at their own game.

Yes, we'd all love to see pretty football but surely pussyfooting about with the ball and not winning isn't the way forward.

I have to admit watching Bolton whack the ball into the solar system was awful to watch.

But that was when you are on the recieving end, and besides with different players at his disposal at St James' Park, there is no guarantee Newcastle United will be a carbon copy of Bolton Wanderers.

Yet for one afternoon only, it would be sweet as a nut if Bolton fans got a taste of the type of football inflicted on the long suffering Toon Army down the years at Reebok way.

Moving on and it looks like Kieron Dyer will be back in the squad at Bolton and the old debate of booing is bound to cause friction in the black and white end.

Dyer's move to West Ham failed in dramatic circumstances but not for the first time in his career he has to pick himself up off the floor and pull on a black and white shirt and simply do the job he is paid for.

In his last game for the club at Watford he scored but didn't celebrate and if United win and Dyer scores and doesn't show any emotion now, who cares really what he does?

Anyway enough about Dyer, the trip to the Reebok is all about Newcastle United and the vibes that Big Sam is giving at the moment suggest, he is heading there with only victory on his mind.

Sam focused for emotional Reebok return

Aug 9 2007

By Alan Oliver, Evening Chronicle

SAM ALLARDYCE makes an emotional return to the Reebok Stadium on Saturday insisting: "My only concern is Newcastle United, and that’s what I am focusing on."

All eyes will obviously be on Big Sam when he takes his seat in the United dug-out at the ground where he turned Bolton into a major Premiership force.

And speaking for the first time on what will be a testing day for him, Allardyce told me today: "Obviously I have got some great memories of Bolton Wanderers.

"Bolton is where I have spent the biggest part of my life, even though I wasn’t born there.

"I had 18 years there and the biggest thing is that I will have some great memories.

"Memories that will stay with me for the rest of my life.

"I had seven-and-a- half years as manager of Bolton and I hardly had a bad day in all that time.

"But those memories will be pushed to one side on Saturday.

"I will be thoroughly professional in my job as manager of Newcastle United.

"I have been focused all week preparing my side for what is bound to be a difficult opening fixture for us.

"And perhaps one day I will have as many great memories of Newcastle United as I have of Bolton Wanderers and that got to one of my aims."

Allardyce is clearly well prepared himself for Saturday to such an extent that he made sure he moved into his new home on Tyneside earlier this week.

He resigned as Bolton boss just before the end of as season, and was quickly installed to replace Glenn Roeder within a week of the close season starting.

And he admits he does not know what kind of reception the Bolton fans will give him at the Reebok Stadium.

The United boss added: "I am not so sure what kind of reception I will receive from the Wanderers supporters. Some will be supportive of me and what I did, and I suppose some will not be so supportive.

"But nobody down there will be able to point any fingers at me or question what I did for Bolton Wanderers."

link

Edited by Barney

I'd be happy with a draw, ecstatic with a win. But I'm not expecting much tbh, other than a few yellow cards (maybe some red as well.)

Bolton will have a fairly settled team (I have to admit I haven't followed their transfer dealings) and will be 'up' for it - BIG time, whereas we are still trying to gel. The fitness of the two teams will be fairly even due to identical training regimes.

2-1 to the Twotters.

Edited by snakehips

Judging by the Sampdoria game i aint expecting too much tbh ,thought it was pretty much a performance like last season,but i live in hope for the real thing tomorrow and they could show something different and better?i hope so because i wasnt impressed at all by pre-season whatsoever.

Im looking forward to it but expect a tough game. Whatever changes Sam wants to make at NUFC will only just be starting to sink in with still along way to go.

As for pre-season, Id say the high's were Milner and Geremi while the lows were realising just how badly we needed new defenders.