What would you do if you encountered a burglar in your home ?

Jimbo

If you awoke in the night to find an intruder in your home would you be prepared to use force to defend your home or family ? The law suggests you may use reasonable force against an intruder, I have a baseball bat in my bedroom and I would have no hesitation in swinging at an intruder if I felt my family was in danger, yet I may find myself on the wrong side of the law if it was felt my actions were disproportionate, as far as I'm concerned, an intruder forfeits his rights when he enters my home.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/manchester/6936010.stm

Man quizzed over injured burglar

A man was arrested after a suspected burglar suffered serious injuries falling from a fourth-floor flat.

Officers were called when a man woke to discover an intruder in his flat on Corkland Road in Chorlton-cum-Hardy, Greater Manchester, on Monday morning.

When police arrived the alleged burglar was found unconscious on the pavement outside the flat. A 56-year-old man was arrested on supicion of wounding.

The injured man is said to be in a critical condition in Hope Hospital.

Police believe he fell from the fourth floor window and have described his serious head injuries as "life-threatening".

The man who was arrested has been bailed pending further inquiries.

Police are appealing for anyone with information about the incident, which happened shortly after 0600 BST on Monday, to contact them.

Guest stevieintoon
Definitely use a weapon if I found one lying around. Didn't something similar happen to Duncan Ferguson? :rolleyes:

Aye :lol:

You can rest assured no cunt will be burgling him again for a long time. Reading between the lines, the burglar got the hiding of his life.

A burglar who ended up in a brawl with footballer Duncan Ferguson when he was caught raiding the star's home has been jailed for four years.

Carl Bishop, 37, was apprehended by the Everton striker when he broke into his home in Formby, Merseyside.

The drug addict, from Walton, in Liverpool, required two days of hospital treatment following the incident and complained that he had been assaulted by Ferguson, but this was dismissed by police.

Liverpool Crown Court heard that Ferguson had two properties at the same location in Formby - one where he lives with his wife and daughter and another which he uses as a gymnasium and storage area.

The incident happened very quickly and Mr Ferguson was very frightened

Anthony Limont

prosecutor

Bishop had taken heroin and cocaine in the days before the burglary and broke into the storage house, where he piled up crates of champagne, whisky and other spirits in preparation for stealing.

Former Scotland, Rangers and Dundee United star Ferguson had been going to use the gym at 2000 GMT on 8 January and challenged Bishop when he spotted him.

Slightly built Bishop attempted to hit the 6ft 4in player with a vodka bottle which then smashed.

Ferguson punched Bishop in the face and grappled him to the floor.

Prosecutor Anthony Limont said Ferguson told police: "I ducked down and lashed out with my fist and struck him on the side of the face."

Ferguson hurt his knee in the fight and Bishop was left battered and bruised.

Drugs test

Mr Limont added: "The incident happened very quickly and Mr Ferguson was very frightened. It being dark he had no way of knowing if this man was with others or if he was carrying a weapon."

It emerged that Bishop should have been in jail when the offence took place.

He ignored a recall notice after failing a drugs test while out on licence.

Bishop was sentenced to four years for trespassing with intent to steal and 12 months for failing to return to jail while on licence.

It was the second time Ferguson had confronted intruders at his home.

Two years ago Michael Pratt and Barry Dawson were disturbed by Mr Ferguson as they broke into his then home in Rufford in west Lancashire.

Pratt escaped but Dawson was restrained by Ferguson until the police arrived.

Who'd have thought it though a Merseyside footballer being burgled......

To be honest round here, I haven't heard of any burglaries for years, long may it continue. I wouldn't have fancied living in the Byker Wall when Ratboy was aboot though.

It's happened twice with Ferguson hasn't it?

I'm sure it has, and on both occasions he gave the intruder a good shoeing

but seriously, who would !

fergusonduncanr02020637sj9.jpg

:lol:

It's happened twice with Ferguson hasn't it?

I'm sure it has, and on both occasions he gave the intruder a good shoeing

Aye, ledge for doing that tbf.

Wasn't there a story about a burglar who fell through someone's roof and successfully sued them for injuring himself?

Wasn't that just a line from 'Liar Liar'?

That could well be it. :lol:

Dunno if this is the one you're thinking of.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/main.jhtml...3/20/nyob20.xml

And yes Stevie, he's from Liverpool, and a stereotypical scally.

If you awoke in the night to find an intruder in your home would you be prepared to use force to defend your home or family ? The law suggests you may use reasonable force against an intruder, I have a baseball bat in my bedroom and I would have no hesitation in swinging at an intruder if I felt my family was in danger, yet I may find myself on the wrong side of the law if it was felt my actions were disproportionate, as far as I'm concerned, an intruder forfeits his rights when he enters my home.

Likewise. There is a crowbar hidden between two units in my house which would be used for battering intruders.

Happened to me two weeks ago. Woke up to see the bastard in my fucking bedroom! He looked at me and turned and legged it, I chased him but the bastard got away. He did an amazing jump/dive head first through the window then fucked off over the wall smashing all the plates in my kitchen in the process. I woke the whole street shouting at the twat. Glad I woke up as he would have had a lot more loot if I hadn't woken. Not sure what I would have done if I had caught him, probs end up being arrested myself.

Edited by Greg

Difficult to say tbh.

We dont have anything deliberately left in the bedroom in case though there are letter openers, scissors and a few other bits of stationary that arnt exactly blunt.

Thing is - ive got a one of those bb pellet gun things, and it looks VERY real but i wouldnt dare use it as id get into serious bother with the polliss :lol:

Difficult to say tbh.

We dont have anything deliberately left in the bedroom in case though there are letter openers, scissors and a few other bits of stationary that arnt exactly blunt.

Thing is - ive got a one of those bb pellet gun things, and it looks VERY real but i wouldnt dare use it as id get into serious bother with the polliss :lol:

If it came to it you'd probably be better stabbing an intruder with a letter opener than a knife, it looks less premeditated with the former.

And you probably wouldn't need to use the bb gun, just flash it at him and he should leg it, that is unless of course he has a real gun, in which case you're pretty fucked.

If you own your own house then an alarm system is the best idea for a bit of peace of mind, ours also has a panic button in the bedroom so if you do hear someone downstairs the button will set off the alarm and the intruders should make a hasty retreat without having to confront them.

Aye, I've got one of those too, a Beretta pistol replica. You'd be in serious trouble for even threatening someone with it, never mind firing it at them.

As my mam is in a wheelchair I'd do what I could to protect her and myself as otherwise we'd be a bit screwed. I don't keep anything that could remotely be described as a 'weapon' handy but I'm fairly certain that if the need arose I could grab whatever was around me to try and scare a burglar off. Not sure anyone in their right mind would flinch at the sight of me wielding a random object though. :lol:

Thing is - ive got a one of those bb pellet gun things, and it looks VERY real but i wouldnt dare use it as id get into serious bother with the polliss :rolleyes:

Aye, I've got one of those too, a Beretta pistol replica. You'd be in serious trouble for even threatening someone with it, never mind firing it at them.

First time its been out the cupboard in months, cant remember the last time i took it out the box.

dsc00059su2.th.jpg

:lol:

As my mam is in a wheelchair I'd do what I could to protect her and myself as otherwise we'd be a bit screwed. I don't keep anything that could remotely be described as a 'weapon' handy but I'm fairly certain that if the need arose I could grab whatever was around me to try and scare a burglar off. Not sure anyone in their right mind would flinch at the sight of me wielding a random object though. :lol:

presboar.gif

Yeah Id run like :rolleyes:

Im not sure how Id react. Ive a feeling that anger would take over and I'd loose the plot. Im generally all for people loosing any rights they had as soon as they break in somewhere etc. The end of the day, you have no idea how that person is armed or what their intention is. Id want the fucker dealt with swiftly before having the chance to find out.

My dad smacked a burglar who was in our house when I was about 8. He floored him then sat on him on the landing until the police got there! :lol: I was more scared at the time at the words he was using when telling the thief what he would like to do to him and what he can expect to happen to him in prison!

I used to keep my cricket bat next to my bed when I was sharing a house as I was in the room on the ground floor. Don't keep nowt to hand now like, rely solely on my left hook. Legendary it is, won the top prize on the hammer swinging type game at Lightwater Valley last week.

Got a few hockey sticks lying around for burglar-twatting.

Wasn't there a story about a burglar who fell through someone's roof and successfully sued them for injuring himself?

Dunno whether that one is true, but if they can prove negligence you could be in trouble or that it was aimed to wound (glass on a wall and such).

You've also got to be careful about what you hit them with (or where you tell the police you found it) hitting them with a criket bat from your landing cupboard is "different" to hitting them with one you keep under your bed in case of intruders.

Also if they move off you're property you may well be done.

So basically no matter what they say if the police sniff an easy conviction or the burglar knows the system well enough you could be in trouble.

If you find yourself in this sort of situation btw (not being the burglar) - get your story straight, lie through your teeth if necessary, including suggesting you were in fear for yours and your family's life and never let the police interview you without a solicitor. They'll tell you you don't need one / it'll take ages to get one but that's in their interests and you'll be there ages anyway. Or so I heard :lol:

If you find yourself in this sort of situation btw (not being the burglar) - get your story straight, lie through your teeth if necessary, including suggesting you were in fear for yours and your family's life and never let the police interview you without a solicitor. They'll tell you you don't need one / it'll take ages to get one but that's in their interests and you'll be there ages anyway. Or so I heard :rolleyes:

Yup decide on your lie "we collided in the dark and he accidentally fell down the stairs", and stick to it no matter what. :lol: