Arsenal

Guest stevieintoon

Guest stevieintoon

Right what I thought I'd do because I'm bored at dinner time during work hours, I'd start a series of "what do you think of.......", because it's interesting reading other people's thoughts and perceptions of other clubs. If enough people contribute today responding to the questions in bold, I'll do Aston Villa tomorrow and so on during week day. I'll link it to an Arsenal site too.

What's your first thought about Arsenal FC (where do you see them in terms of stature, history etc..?)

When I think about Arsenal the first thought that comes in to my head is what a massive club they are. Without question they are bigger than Newcastle United. They've won league titles in almost every decade since football began, and are the only club that can say that. If I was a foreign footballer coming to England, and greed wasn't my ultimate motivation, Arsenal would be the club I would join. They're in London, which obviously with the cosmopolitan nature of the place makes it easier for them to settle, they have arguably Europe's finest coach, and they'll always be no more three or four years from their next trophy.

What do you think of the Emirates/Highbury (have you been)?

I've been to Highbury about 8 times. As a kid I used to spend a lot of time in London staying with my sister during the summer holidays. The first time I visited Highbury, they were just completing the building of the new North Bank. I looked round the ground and it was awesome, there was and is nothing to compete with the grandeur of Highbury, the architecture of the East and West Stands fuckin awesome. The Clock End was shit though, trust them to put the away fans there. The first time went we actually won 3-2, and we filled the whole end of about 7,000. Toon fans were brilliant but Arsenal's typified the Highbury library jibe. The last time I was there was a Friday night game this time we lost 3-2, and the atmosphere that night was fuckin amazing, both sets of fans.

Do you have a few specific memories of games against Arsenal home and away?

The 3-2 game I mention above when Jenas hand balled needlessly near the end stands out for me. Most notably because to this day, and bearing in mind I've been going to SJP since 1985, and been going away since 1991, I have never ever seen a more pissed toon end. Friday night football is the way forward.

I've seen some shockers down there though, even Ray Parlour getting a hattrick!

At home my favourite Arsenal game was the one under Souness, where we kicked ten colours of shite out of them. They were so much better than us talent wise, but the crowd were magnificent that night one of the best second half atmosphere's we've had in the last decade, and when Solano scored fuck me I was in the aisles kissing stewards and I wasn't the only one. I also remember with glee Peter's brilliant last minute winner past Vince Bartram when we played shit and won 1-0.

What do you feel about the current Arsenal team?

Champions again within a few years. I love Arsenal. I saw them the other night against Ajax, I didn't even recognise one or two of the names, but the Wenger production line keeps pulling rabbits out of a hat. The young lad Sania, I'd never even heard of him, he looked like he'd been playing in World Cup's all his life. They basically raped Ajax, van Persie will win player of the year soon, he is that good, but the major problem is with Arsenal, and regardless what anyone say they play by far, BY FAR the most attractive football on these islands, the main problem is they pass too much. They lack a killer edge, Henry gave them it to certain extent, I still feel they need an absolutely top drawer "fox in the box", hopefully not like Francis Jeffers again though for their sakes. I wouldn't be astonished to see Anelka go back there.

What do you think of Arsenal fans?

Arsenal have grown massively since 1993. If you remember they couldn't fill 38,000 Highbury till they signed Bergkamp, and used to give us and Man Utd the full Clock End. Today in 2007 they're guaranteed 60,000 at every game and have 40,000 on the waiting list.

I find a lot of Arsenal fans very personable, we went clubbing after the 1998 Cup Final, and I found one Arsenal fan to be very personable, but on the whole I think they justifiably hold the tag of most upper class fans in the Premiership. Also I tend to think that Arsenal's ethnic support is greater than any other club in the country which is a great thing in fairness. I feel they gained more from the liberalisation of football grounds through the SKY era than of any other club. They have more women season ticket holders than any other club in England (not saying that's a good or bad thing).

They generally come to SJP with a 2,000 allocation which they sell, they are rarely vocal, but clearly they have one thing in common with us, they hate Tottenham.

I would say of all the bigger clubs, Arsenal fans are the least arrogant, they know what they are, they who they are, they know everyone knows who they are, so they don't have to give it in your face every five minutes like certain clubs North of the Border, and down here.

How do you think Arsenal will fare this season?

Due to the fact they haven't got a 20 goals a season striker, and the fact the squad is young I think they'll miss out on the Premiership by maybe 10-15 points. With Toure and Gallas forming a formidable partnership at the back, I think they could win any of the three Cup competitions, including the big one.

Prediction: 4th

I think arsenal are kinda in the calm bit before the storm.

Wenger is putting together a new squad that could dominate english football for several years.

another couple of years tweaking and arsenal will have a fantastic team.

i really liked highbury too. the new stadium is horrible. so generic, bland and overpriced. i think if mort carries on fat fred's plans to extend the gallowgat, we'll have a far better sadium.

Highbury was a lovely stadium. As for Wenger the best compliment I can pay him is that I now have affection for a side that I always used to dislike before he went there. I never want Man Utd., Chelsea or Liverpool to win the league and when Arsenal haven't been in the running for the last couple of years it's been Hobson's choice deciding who I wanted to win. I love watching them play and I love their ethos whether it's the way Wenger gets his teams playing or he has developed his sides (I think their net spending is the lowest of the 'big 4' + ourselves since he went there).

Arsenal are fantastic. That 49 unbeaten side played some breathtaking football. The way the game should be played. Pires, Ljungberg, Vieira, Henry, Bergkamp, amazing footballers. Wengers eye for a player is brilliant, I see this Da Silva lad doing big things for them.

Agree about the ethnic diversity of their support, I've found that most of the Africans living over here now who follow football seem to be Arsenal fans!

Edited by IrishMag

They generally come to SJP with a 2,000 allocation which they sell, they are rarely vocal, but clearly they have one thing in common with me, they hate Tottenham and never tire of mentioning it.

FYP OMG ETC.

Guest stevieintoon
Speak for yourself tbh, I don't particularly dislike Spurs.

Oh, and you'll get bored by the time you get to Derby tbh

I don't care what doleite, virgin mackem tossers from fuckin Jarrow think you nobhead.

I don't care what doleite, virgin mackem tossers from fuckin Jarrow think you nobhead.

Evidently you do or else I wouldn't have recieved a frothing reply.

Embarassing yourself again.

Guest stevieintoon

Why even reply though you dickhead if you have nothing constructive to say. Clearly you're a social inadequate.

Why even reply though you dickhead if you have nothing constructive to say. Clearly you're a social inadequate.

You mean like your reply before?

Good this irony game, eh?

Guest stevieintoon

Aye but I'm talking to you, thus talking down to you, after you rubbished my post. Tell you what mate read your pm's.

Guest Patrokles

Nah, it's a shit game tbh. It won't catch on.

Tell you what girls, don't link this thread to an Arsenal site eh, they'll think we're all a bunch on in-fighting pecker-necks.

Personally I don't like any London club particularly, least of all Arsenal, Chelski or the Spuds. I've always found Arsenal fans to be the sort who come out of the woodwork when they're winning something but then go all quiet when there's nowt going on. As a team though i'd have to begrudgingly admit they have played some lovely football (if a little dive-tastic) in the past.

Think what Wenger has done there and continues to do so has been remarkable, when you look at his net spent over the years it is truly remarkable that they still play such grand football all of the time.

The lad Eduardo has looked quality in Pre-Season when I've seen him and should fit right in.

Arsenal are definitely my most hated Prem team. The self righteousness, the arrogance, the cheats... plus the glory boys in France telling how brilliant they are.. pehh!

Guest Patrokles
Tell you what girls, don't link this thread to an Arsenal site eh, they'll think we're all a bunch on in-fighting pecker-necks.

OMG PEOPLE FROM ANOTHER INTERNET FORUM MIGHT LOOK DOWN ON ME!""£"$£$Q£QRE

What's your first thought about Arsenal FC (where do you see them in terms of stature, history etc..?)

My firt thoughts are Tony Adams, Paul Merson, Ian Wright and that sort of Highbury Era. I used to love watching Arsenal games at Highbury on a cold Wednesday evening, or listening to 5Live when they went to Highbury in the middle of winter. I dunno why, it made me feel rather cosy knowing that the Premiership was the place to be. I was gutted when they changed stadiums, still am really.

As for History etc, great side, Bergkamp used to shit me up when we played them and he was on form, you could slap your mortgage on him scoring a right pearler of a goal and all the southern jurnos would wank till the feel asleep. Wenger for me has to be marked as one of the great managers of the Premiership, although I cant stand the two faced twat.

What do you think of the Emirates/Highbury (have you been)?

Never been, but ill echo what I said up there. I loved watching matches at Highbury on TV, especially the Arsenal v Man Ure matches, it looked an absolutley buzzing atmos, the crowd on top of the pitch. Its a damn pity that advertising rights for the Champs League games cut off the first few rows on some of the stands.

As a Structural Engineer, stadia are my sort of fooballing wet dream. The new stadium is awesome and I hope to visit it one day.

Do you have a few specific memories of games against Arsenal home and away?

Home has to be the FA Cup Semi, Bergkamps bit of magic, he didnt mean to do it IMO but it was still an amazing finish, I was close to tears that day, totally ruined my weekend ;)

Away, the game where Jenas handballed, I wish I could have shot the little ghetto pimp. Also the game where Toure ( I think) smashed Shearer, I was cursing him with AIDS that day!!

What do you feel about the current Arsenal team?

Think Henry will be a massive miss this season, but thats it. Wenger is too shrewed and we thought they would miss Anelka but that changed. Henry IMO was becoming a real pain in the arse. Been too elaborate, too big headed, too large for Arsenal?

If they keep hold of Van Pierse and Febregas stays fit then I can see them still been there or there abouts. I can see them, with an addition or two pushing for the League in another season.

When Arsenal are on form I could watch them for hours on end with no doubt about it. Wenger has brought some awesome football to these Isles and thanks very much.

What do you think of Arsenal fans?

As I havent been to Highbury or the Emirates I cannot fully say. The Gooners I know are pretty much full of it but fair and they like good football. Now King Henry has gone they do seem down in the dumps, which is fair enough, but they are still optomistic. St

Prediction: 4th

Aye but I'm talking to you, thus talking down to you, after you rubbished my post. Tell you what mate read your pm's.

Nah thanks, you'll probably deny sending it a few months down the line.

You know, like the last time.

Guest stevieintoon

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anonymous_Coward

Anonymous Coward" is a term applied within some online communities to describe users who post without a screen name; it is a dummy name attributed to anonymous posts used by some weblogs that allow posting by people without registering for accounts. The practice, which had its roots in BBS and USENET culture, was made especially popular on Slashdot, where the mildly derogatory term is meant to chide anonymous contributors into logging in.[1] [2] Some weblog engines such as Scoop use the term "Anonymous Hero" instead, perhaps to avoid the name's confrontational nature. Others use stronger varieties, like Plastic.com's "Anonymous Idiot", and SuicideGirls' "Random Fuckbag".

On systems where all users who are not logged in share one such account name, confusion may often result in discussions. It is also notable that in Slashdot's moderation system, "Anonymous Cowards" post at a default score of zero, which means that their posts are hidden from the default view unless they are moderated up by other users.

Slashdot, Scoop and Plastic (when so configured) allow even logged in users to post anonymously, thereby providing selective anonymity (e.g. to avoid embarrassment, or legal repercussions). On Slashdot and Scoop these posts are still associated with the user (so that they can't moderate their own posts), and might not be safe if the site receives a subpoena.

Variations on the name "Anonymous Coward" are also sometimes used by trolls to mock the dummy name and/or confuse other users into thinking that they are posting as Anonymous Coward.

In Barrapunto, a Spanish-language clone of Slashdot, the anonymous user was Pendejo sin nombre, "nameless asshole". The editors later thought it was too offensive and changed it to Pobrecito Hablador, literally "poor little talker", that was also one of the pseudonyms used by Mariano José de Larra, a Spanish journalist in the 19th century. In Bandaancha.st, a Spanish-language page about DSL, cable, satellite etc, the anonymous user is called BocaDePez which stands for "FishMouth".

Online communities vary with their stances on anonymous postings. Wikipedia allows anonymous editing in most cases, but does not label users "Anonymous Cowards" (users who are not signed in are identified with their IP addresses in order to distinguish one anonymous user from another); Slashdot permits the practice and employs the label;[3] Meatball Wiki permits the practice but discourages it. 4chan's community takes an opposite stance, encouraging the anonymity, and calling those who use usernames and tripcodes "namefags" and "tripfags," respectively. Many online bulletin boards require users to be signed in to write (and, in some cases, even to read) posts by others.

Arsenal are a fantastic team to watch, and as much as I admire Wenger he's cocked up majorly in the last 2-3 years; they've seriously regressed since their unbeaten year. They won't be anywhere near the title again this year, but will hold on to their champs league qualification position. They could finish 3rd, but most likely 4th imo.

Having never lived in an area naturally inhabited by Arsenal fans I have to say my impression of them is that there are a lot that come out of the woodwork when they do well, the sort of person you never realised supported one team in particular.

Went to Highbury once, very nice ground.