Fifa man opposes England 2018 bid

Scottish Mag

Fifa vice-president Jack Warner said he will battle to stop England hosting the 2018 World Cup.

His decision will be a blow to the Football Association, who were likely to plan a bid on the back of any change to the current selection procedures.

"If the World Cup were to go to Europe, I'm quite sure, with the English luck as it is, they won't get it," Warner told BBC World Service.

"There are moves to give it to England. I must fight that."

Warner, a member of the world football body's executive committee since 1983, added: "It will be Italy, Spain, or even France who will get the World Cup if it goes to Europe.

"Nobody in Europe likes England. England invented the sport but has never had made any impact on world football."

It is believed Fifa president Sepp Blatter is set to end the World Cup rotation policy when the executive committee meet later in the year.

Instead, the association are likely to approve a format that only precludes the continents that held the previous two World Cups from bidding again, which in 2018 would be Africa and South America.

Warner, president of Concacaf, added that he would battle to bring international football's premier tournament to his region, which covers North and Central America and the Caribbean.

"I really don't believe that we should just lay down and play dead to anyone who wants to take the World Cup from Concacaf," he said.

In July another Fifa executive committee member and former World Cup winner, German legend Franz Beckenbauer, offered his support to England hosting the 2018 World Cup.

He told BBC Five Live's Sportsweek: "There is no better country in Europe to host the World Cup in 2018. England is the favourite."

He added: "The most important thing is to end the rotation and bring the tournament back to Europe.

"The Premier League at the moment is the best league in Europe and the stadiums are outstanding.

"In my opinion, there is only one very serious candidate and it is England."

BBC World Service will air the full interview with Jack Warner on World Football with Alan Green on Saturday 11 August and Saturday 18 August.

Fifa vice-president Jack Warner said he will battle to stop England hosting the 2018 World Cup.

His decision will be a blow to the Football Association, who were likely to plan a bid on the back of any change to the current selection procedures.

"If the World Cup were to go to Europe, I'm quite sure, with the English luck as it is, they won't get it," Warner told BBC World Service.

Warner, a member of the world football body's executive committee since 1983, added: "It will be Italy, Spain, or even France who will get the World Cup if it goes to Europe.

"Nobody in Europe likes England. England invented the sport but has never had made any impact on world football."

It is believed Fifa president Sepp Blatter is set to end the World Cup rotation policy when the executive committee meet later in the year.

Instead, the association are likely to approve a format that only precludes the continents that held the previous two World Cups from bidding again, which in 2018 would be Africa and South America.

Warner, president of Concacaf, added that he would battle to bring international football's premier tournament to his region, which covers North and Central America and the Caribbean.

"I really don't believe that we should just lay down and play dead to anyone who wants to take the World Cup from Concacaf," he said.

In July another Fifa executive committee member and former World Cup winner, German legend Franz Beckenbauer, offered his support to England hosting the 2018 World Cup.

He told BBC Five Live's Sportsweek: "There is no better country in Europe to host the World Cup in 2018. England is the favourite."

He added: "The most important thing is to end the rotation and bring the tournament back to Europe.

"The Premier League at the moment is the best league in Europe and the stadiums are outstanding.

"In my opinion, there is only one very serious candidate and it is England."

BBC World Service will air the full interview with Jack Warner on World Football with Alan Green on Saturday 11 August and Saturday 18 August.

Pretty big fucking impact if you ask me

...twat

Guest stevieintoon

What a cheeky fuckin South African bastard!

Nobody likes England, they'd all be going round on horse and carts if it wasn't for us! The fuckin cheeky cunt, I can't believe anyone can get away with that. Coming from a man who lives in a country, which was ostracised from world affairs DUE TO BEING GLOBALLY KNOWN AS RACIST BASTARDS, and it still exists today. The cheeky cunt no cunt like them, absolutely no one other than neo-nazi groups.

South Africa I wouldn't piss on it, dutch cunts in the son.

As for never having made an impact on World Football, we've done alright for the size of our island, to develop the best footballing infrastructure in the Premiership and to have competed well in a number of World Cup's. South Africa though, who are their legends eh? Fuckin Phil Masinga. Do one.

Guest stevieintoon
I think he's from Trinidad and Tobago tbh.

Well he looks like a South African. Can just imagine him shaking hands with Pik W Botha.

Just read that on the BBC... more biased bollocks coming from FIFA then. No big surprise. What a fucking twat. Saying that even France would get it before England would if it came to Europe. Disgrace.

Guest stevieintoon

What's not to like about England though. We're let any one come here, we are too fair for our own good, we're respectful, we have a culture many have tried to copy and continue to do so. Fuck them. Imagine if Bert Millichip or someone like that came out with "Everyone in Europe thinks the French are cowardly insular cunts, and a good 40% of them are either gay or have gay sexual fantasies, so I don't think we should throw our weight behind a France World Cup bid." It's what most people think, but imagine the international out-cry if he said that. Disgrace.

FIFA Vice President Jack Warner, in response to the St Lucian media following the initiation of their FIFA Goal Project on Friday, on questions of the reports in Trinidad and Tobago about an alleged ticketing scandal for its World Cup matches, has said that he has nothing to worry about regarding the false allegations.

“I have been fighting for T&T football for over 25 years. I am not trying to make this about Jack Warner but there is nobody who has made a contribution to T&T football more than I but I have done this because I have always felt inferior to be a Vice President of FIFA and to be a deputy chairman of a FIFA finance committee among my colleagues in FIFA as someone who comes from a country that has never qualified for FIFA’s highest competitio n. When we couldn’t quality, I at one time beg the Government to host one which we did successfully in 2001. The fact is I had passion for qualifying. I felt it would have a spin off effect in a positive way for the country and so on. As such we went on to qualify and as we qualified, we had two weeks of honeymoon. I was King, they said Jack for Prime Minister and so on and then it was felt that this kind of popularity was of course catapulting the opposition and I was being seen as a threat (as also deputy leader of the Opposition Party), bringing all the people together. To fast track it, it just went on to the local newspapers who got one of their journalists to carry on the task.

“Simpaul’s travel service is one which the Warner family has a beneficial interest offering World Cup packages since 1994. Simpaul’s Travel Agency began paying 20,00 for the rights in years before to $500, 000 a couple months ago. In connection with European tour operator then put some packages on the market for sale. They paid in July and August and September t for those rights and such therefore it was advertised. No one believed the team could qualify other than Jack Warner. In other words even if the team did not qualify, those tickets would have been on sale. When the team qualified now the whole hype built up and everyone wanted to be on the bandwagon and wanted tickets and they said Simpaul’s had all the tickets in a monopoly,” Warner said.

“The fact is, and hear me well, the Federation did not apply for its tickets until last week. December 25 when every newspaper would say Merry Christmas to its readers, there was a big headline - Warner family hits jackpot. The whole intention was to tarnish me and they then sent the story worldwide, At the end of the day it does not affect Jack Warner because my skin and this wall has the same thickness but when you go to the family I have a problem, Then on January 3 I made my response which they have since tried to investigate and they can’t find anything, because at the end of the day the tickets Simpaul’s is offering the market have nothing to do with the T&T allocation.

”Its allocation came only last week but this was done to destroy Jack Warner in some way. They believe I am close to Mr (Sepp) Blatter, which I am, and they are bringing out this book, but let FIFA deal with that. I sleep very sound at nights. They have also spoken about scandal and corruption. He (The Writer from T&T) had applied for accreditation and he was turned down and there’s a big story in today’s papers and again they are attacking Jack Warner. How could you attack the FIFA, Jack Warner and Blatter in the worse way and then want to cover the sport that these people administer,” Warner said.

“But there are two mistakes that they have made. In the first case they did not know that the TTFF applied for its tickets only last week. They thought it was since November or December and they thought this was now the Simpaul’s tickets and then they didn’t know that Simpaul’s had paid since July for their tickets and I had the receipts to show. In some ways I have a loyalty with FIFA and they have to me that these people cannot dismantle. I have been fighting for the region, CONCACAF and Trinidad and Tobago and not one day have I fought for me, so the records are there to show you,” Warner added.

Prior to this, there had been reports in a Trinidad newspaper that Warner and his family had been involved in Simpaul’s ticket package for T&T’s matches in which they were using tickets allocated to the T&T Federation as a qualified member and that these tickets were only being sold as part of packages in which Warner stood to make millions in profits.

Seriously, how has this man got himself into a position where he's actually in charge of something?

In the international football community, Austin "Jack" Warner is well known as a shrewd and tough administrator.

But for many others, particularly the players of the popular sport, Warner is a godfather who steps in and helps them out in their hour of need.

Such was the case last Friday when a footballer, fearful of losing his car which had been repossessed by a bank, caught up with Warner at the local Concacaf offices in Port of Spain.

It was by chance that the ever-busy football federation president turned up for work that day. He had returned two nights earlier from Germany for a brief stopover before heading out on Monday to Brazil where the Fifa World Club Championships are being played Monday.

Preoccupied with last Saturday's friendly match between the senior national squad and Canada, as well as the launching of Carnival 2000 celebrations in his Arouca hometown the next day, Warner seemed a bit perplexed by the distressed young man's arrival at this offices.

Rather than wave him off with the excuse of a tight schedule, the 56 year-old Fifa vice-president ushered the contrite lad into his office and immediately got on the phone with the bankers.

"What would you have done if I weren't here?" chided Warner, sounding like a schoolteacher once again.

"Sorry sir, sorry sir!" replied the player, as if he were indeed a pupil in one of Warner's former classes.

And as quickly as he came in the grateful footballer was soon on his way out to the bank, hopefully to retrieve his car, after Warner arranged to a guarantee for his outstanding payments.

The gesture is an act, which the retired teacher of Polytechnic Institute, also known as Sixth Form Government Secondary, would perform for anyone once he had "the means to help".

That's why when Miss Universe 1998 Wendy Fitzwilliam was desperately seeking a sponsor for the trip to the international pageant in Hawaii, Warner quietly bought her a first class ticket.

Fitzwilliam, however, spilled the beans about his generosity.

"I have personally given away as much as $25,000 in a month once. But I don't run here and there to pose for pictures of me making a donation. It makes what I do seem less genuine," Warner admits cautiously.

That he is always wiling to lend a helping hand to youths stems from Warner's own struggles growing up in Rio Claro and Longdenville, Chaguanas.

Indeed, his own ascendancy to the millionaires club was not an easy climb for the Fifa executive who once cut cane in Central Trinidad to help out at home.

"We were poor, very poor. I used to cut cane, look after pigs, and walk six miles to and from school. Those were tough times," recalls the Presentation College, Chaguanas graduate.

The worn-out garb he wore in the fields is a far cry from the tailored three-piece suits Warner sports today.

Placing his personal worth in the $50 million range, the father of two is not shy about the "ultra-fantastic" paychecks he receives as Fifa vice-president, a position he assumed in 1997.

It, too, is a long way from his earnings as a teacher and general secretary of the Trinidad and Tobago Football Association (TTFA)

Ever ready to dip into his own pocket for the sake of football, Warner once mortgaged his Arouca home for $30,000 to bail out the former cash-strapped TTFA.

With such financial woes a thing of the past, Warner's current assets include the football club, Joe Public, the Scarlet Ibis hotel, real estate in Port of Spain, Westmoorings, St Augustine, Arouca and Salybia. Also among his investments are a battery company in Costa Rica and "a few businesses" in the United States (US).

"I began buying properties across Trinidad from the salary and allowances I received from FIFA. This made it easy for me to invest. I have had one or two good fortunes."

Apart from a solid-gold letter opener, a gift from King Fahd of Saudi Arabia, Warner's most-prized fortune is Joe Public of which his wife Maureen and sons Daryan and Daryll are directors.

Ameer Edoo, executive chairman of WISE, the brokerage firm, and businessmen Peter Stone, Anand Persad and Curtis Forde round off the football club's board.

As owner of the only non-corporate sponsored team in the Professional Football League, Warner provides handsomely for his players, whose salaries range from $1,800 to $8,000 complete with insurance coverage and bonus benefits.

On the real estate front, the one-time president of the Caribbean Football Union (a position which gave him an automatic seat on the Fifa council prior to his vice-presidency) is currently remodeling the Scarlet Ibis hotel in St Augustine, which he bought in 1998 for $6 million.

Although he previously planned to use the 52-room structure to accommodate visiting football teams - a vision he also had for the controversial John John Towers for which he once made a $6 million bid - Warner has since decided to turn the hotel into an apartment block.

A multi-storey plaza is also being built next door on the hotel's car park, which the entrepreneur hopes to name "Shoppes of St Augustine".

In his adopted hometown of Arouca, Warner also owns and runs a small shopping mall, Kantac Plaza, and recently bought additional lands, which will be turned into a "Carnival City" for the eastern community's 2000 celebrations.

Warner's astute investments did not stop there.

Among the newest additions to Warner's real estate portfolio is a property in uptown Port of Spain, situated next door to his building on Edward Street, which he rents to Concacaf for its Trinidad offices. He plans to share the additional space with the TTFA.

The list goes on and on and includes a local warehouse that he bought to store the gifts he had received from 129 countries.

Given his affluence, it seems Warner always had a flair for business.

But after more than 20 years as a teacher (he retired from Polytechnic in 1993) and football administrator, Austin "Jack" Warner the businessman only came to the fore after the infamous Strike Squad November 19, 1989 loss in the World Cup qualifier against the US.

The defeat, which left Warner a broken man, turned out to be a blessing in disguise.

"When we lost I was vilified by the country. I cried like a baby during that experience. So that in April 1990 I thought I should leave the country because people outside were asking me to come and take over Concacaf. It was then that Jack Warner, the businessman, began to emerge."

Pushed by Chuck Blazer, a New York accountant and businessman, Warner went up for the Concacaf presidency.

The hard-worn battle against Mexican, Joachim Terrazas, who ruled Concacaf for close to 30 years, was only the beginning of what turned out to be a bigger financial conflict for Warner.

"When I got into Concacaf, I met an organisation in Guatemala City that had been there for over 30 years and which was virtually bankrupt with a table, eight chairs and US $40,000."

But with Blazer at his side as Concacaf general secretary, Warner turned the struggling organisation into a US $4 million enterprise in just two years.

He did so by moving the football confederation to the financial capital of the world - New York.

There, Warner and his Concacaf team, courted some of the top US corporations, among them international soft drink giant, Coca Cola, American Airlines and Budweiser.

"I was able to sit in the boardrooms of these guys and talk one and one with them and so I was able to get certain benefits from them for Concacaf."

Drawing on his own diplomatic skills, hones in the classroom and in countless football meetings, Warner charmed leading US businessmen, among them real estate magnate Donald Trump, who gave Concacaf a ten-year-lease on an entire floor at Trump Towers in Manhattan.

The first year was free and as an added bonus Trump gave the football organisation the right to sublet.

That Fifa had named the US as the host country for the 1994 World Cup turned out to be just the extra luck Warner needed.

Indeed from as early as the 1986 World Cup, the Rio Claro-born native knew that football would burgeon into a worldwide billion-dollar industry.

"Fifa was able to raise over US $200 million from the two World Cups, (1986 and 1990). I was then able to see that football and business are not enemies, that there is a kind of nexus between the two."

With that in mind, Warner capitalized on the 1994 World Cup fever in the US and struck up major sponsorship deals for Concacaf.

Today these include a multi-million dollar contract with US football marketers, Inter/Forever Sports which sponsors Concacaf tournaments - among them Copa Caribe - and the national football team.

The two partners have also hooked up to market the broadcast rights to the qualifying games for Concacaf countries leading up to World Cup 2002

It is a deal like this, which helped to turn around the regional confederation's fortunes during the past ten years

Today, Concacaf has over US $24 million in cash reserves, offices in Guatemala City, New York and Port of Spain and a staff of more than 40.

Indeed, Warner believes that eh local business fraternity continues to miss the boat when it comes to understanding the money-spinning potential of football. And more importantly, they miss out on the chance to give back to the national community.

In the former respect, most companies are far behind international corporations, particularly those in the United States (US), which traditionally has not been known as a football, in their case soccer, country.

And even today, race and class remain an obstacle to the sport's development locally, affirms Warner.

"Football is still seen as a sport for the black, the destitute, the lower class. It does not endear itself to the people who have money. But the guys who have money fail to understand that they will be insecure as can be, if they fail to give a little help to the black kid on the block."

Past governments also did not escape Warner's criticism for their lack of vision when it comes to the development of football and sport in general.

The day former PNM sports minister Marilyn Gordon gave him $10,000 at the then National Stadium on the last leg of a 16-team tournament, stands out in Warner's mind as one of the low points in the history of local sport administration.

In light of his vision for the sport, though, Warner is perhaps his own best example of how football can translate into big business for players, corporate sponsors and a country.

What's not to like about England though. We're let any one come here, we are too fair for our own good, we're respectful, we have a culture many have tried to copy and continue to do so. Fuck them. Imagine if Bert Millichip or someone like that came out with "Everyone in Europe thinks the French are cowardly insular cunts, and a good 40% of them are either gay or have gay sexual fantasies, so I don't think we should throw our weight behind a France World Cup bid." It's what most people think, but imagine the international out-cry if he said that. Disgrace.

I'd be more interested in finding out how he was communicating from beyond the grave tbh. ;)

IMO who the WC goes to should be based on 3 main criteria:

1. When was the last time they held the WC?

2. Is there public and governmental support for holding the WC?

3. Have they got the stadia, infrastructure and money to run a successful WC?

Based on those three points England would be a very strong candidate for hosting it.

FIFA Vice President Jack Warner, in response to the St Lucian media following the initiation of their FIFA Goal Project on Friday, on questions of the reports in Trinidad and Tobago about an alleged ticketing scandal for its World Cup matches, has said that he has nothing to worry about regarding the false allegations.

“I have been fighting for T&T football for over 25 years. I am not trying to make this about Jack Warner but there is nobody who has made a contribution to T&T football more than I but I have done this because I have always felt inferior to be a Vice President of FIFA and to be a deputy chairman of a FIFA finance committee among my colleagues in FIFA as someone who comes from a country that has never qualified for FIFA’s highest competitio n. When we couldn’t quality, I at one time beg the Government to host one which we did successfully in 2001. The fact is I had passion for qualifying. I felt it would have a spin off effect in a positive way for the country and so on. As such we went on to qualify and as we qualified, we had two weeks of honeymoon. I was King, they said Jack for Prime Minister and so on and then it was felt that this kind of popularity was of course catapulting the opposition and I was being seen as a threat (as also deputy leader of the Opposition Party), bringing all the people together. To fast track it, it just went on to the local newspapers who got one of their journalists to carry on the task.

“Simpaul’s travel service is one which the Warner family has a beneficial interest offering World Cup packages since 1994. Simpaul’s Travel Agency began paying 20,00 for the rights in years before to $500, 000 a couple months ago. In connection with European tour operator then put some packages on the market for sale. They paid in July and August and September t for those rights and such therefore it was advertised. No one believed the team could qualify other than Jack Warner. In other words even if the team did not qualify, those tickets would have been on sale. When the team qualified now the whole hype built up and everyone wanted to be on the bandwagon and wanted tickets and they said Simpaul’s had all the tickets in a monopoly,” Warner said.

“The fact is, and hear me well, the Federation did not apply for its tickets until last week. December 25 when every newspaper would say Merry Christmas to its readers, there was a big headline - Warner family hits jackpot. The whole intention was to tarnish me and they then sent the story worldwide, At the end of the day it does not affect Jack Warner because my skin and this wall has the same thickness but when you go to the family I have a problem, Then on January 3 I made my response which they have since tried to investigate and they can’t find anything, because at the end of the day the tickets Simpaul’s is offering the market have nothing to do with the T&T allocation.

”Its allocation came only last week but this was done to destroy Jack Warner in some way. They believe I am close to Mr (Sepp) Blatter, which I am, and they are bringing out this book, but let FIFA deal with that. I sleep very sound at nights. They have also spoken about scandal and corruption. He (The Writer from T&T) had applied for accreditation and he was turned down and there’s a big story in today’s papers and again they are attacking Jack Warner. How could you attack the FIFA, Jack Warner and Blatter in the worse way and then want to cover the sport that these people administer,” Warner said.

“But there are two mistakes that they have made. In the first case they did not know that the TTFF applied for its tickets only last week. They thought it was since November or December and they thought this was now the Simpaul’s tickets and then they didn’t know that Simpaul’s had paid since July for their tickets and I had the receipts to show. In some ways I have a loyalty with FIFA and they have to me that these people cannot dismantle. I have been fighting for the region, CONCACAF and Trinidad and Tobago and not one day have I fought for me, so the records are there to show you,” Warner added.

Prior to this, there had been reports in a Trinidad newspaper that Warner and his family had been involved in Simpaul’s ticket package for T&T’s matches in which they were using tickets allocated to the T&T Federation as a qualified member and that these tickets were only being sold as part of packages in which Warner stood to make millions in profits.

Seriously, how has this man got himself into a position where he's actually in charge of something?

Is it not obvious? Jack Warner is among the most corrupt members of FIFA, and that's really saying something. He was indicted for fraud when all of the TnT allocated tickets to the world cup disappeared and could ONLY be bought through hugely expensive packages from his (son's) travel agency. The USSF hates him, the MFF hates him, the Canadians hate him, but he's got the support of the Carribean.

What happened to a fair trial?

England has the best staduims in Europe allready, never mind extras from a world cup bid.

Wembley/Old Trafford/Emirates/St.James/Liverpools New One/ City Of manchester Stadium/ Sunderlands Ikea Flat Pack

This twat should be kicked out of fifa tbh

What a complete cunt, thats well pissed me off, would love to kick the shit out of this absolute wanker. The fuckin nerv of the twat, who does he think he is to criticise a country with the best league in the world, best teams in the world, best stadiums in europe and best supporters without a doubt. Hes a cunt tbh

Heard the interview last night. He wants it in Concacaf I believe. Which leaves only two real alternatives - Mexico and USA. Mexico have held it twice, most recently in '86 and USA had it in '94. Neither of those countries have had any real impact on world football (not the men's game anyway) And how the fuck does someone from Trinidad and Tobago, let alone Concacaf get to be vice-president of FIFA? I think I can guess the answer btw.

Guest stevieintoon
What a complete cunt, thats well pissed me off, would love to kick the shit out of this absolute wanker. The fuckin nerv of the twat, who does he think he is to criticise a country with the best league in the world, best teams in the world, best stadiums in europe and best supporters without a doubt. Hes a cunt tbh

Totally agree. English and proud, no wonder people say we have an island mentality. No one likes us we don't care. The thing that pisses me off is the double standards involved. Anyone can get away with saying that about England in football, but if one of our officials said anything it would be world news. For the size of England compared to Mexico and USA we've achieved more than we could've hoped.

I'd love to see the WC here, but I wouldn't be against a Celtic WC, with a co-bid from Wales, Scotland and Ireland. They could do it as well. Croke Park 88,000, Hampden and Ibrox 51,000, Murrayfield 68,000, Cardiff 74,000, Aberdeen up to 35,000, and maybe Windsor Park up to 40,000 - it could be done. If it's not going to be us who get it, it should be country/countries who have never held it before, and have the ability to do so.

Totally agree. English and proud, no wonder people say we have an island mentality. No one likes us we don't care. The thing that pisses me off is the double standards involved. Anyone can get away with saying that about England in football, but if one of our officials said anything it would be world news. For the size of England compared to Mexico and USA we've achieved more than we could've hoped.

I'd love to see the WC here, but I wouldn't be against a Celtic WC, with a co-bid from Wales, Scotland and Ireland. They could do it as well. Croke Park 88,000, Hampden and Ibrox 51,000, Murrayfield 68,000, Cardiff 74,000, Aberdeen up to 35,000, and maybe Windsor Park up to 40,000 - it could be done. If it's not going to be us who get it, it should be country/countries who have never held it before, and have the ability to do so.

I like your idea as well, either one would be decent as it would be pretty cheap to watch and the atmosphere would still be great on an england level if it were to be held by the 'celtic' group of countries.

Guest stevieintoon
Aye, that would work. It would have to be a newly developed Landsdowne Rd. rather than Croke Park though.

I thought that, but by 2018 surely the Irish will be more relaxed about Croke Park. I know they're letting ROI play there while LR is being built, but if they were to host a WC, I think Croke Park would have to play a leading role. LD will only be 50000.